Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Fagotto said:
Use_Imagination_here said:
Fagotto said:
Fagotto said:
So I happen to be watching reruns of oprah, mostly because I had nothing alse to do. Ok, entirely because I had nothing to do but anyway, the issue addressed in the episode is the abuse and/or murder of WOMEN by their MALE boyfriends/husbands and exes.

I started thinking, why is it MALE?

What's the point of making it very clear that men beating up they're girlfriends is an issue (and it is), and simultaneously completely ignoring that there's even a possibility of it happening the other way around.

And before you say that it's because it happens mostly to women, A: There's no definite proof of that and B: I don't really see how that changes the issue unless women beating men is an extremely small less than 1% minority in these cases.

Doesn't this just really help reinforce a harmful view in society that women could never bring harm to men?
A: Did you even look? First google hit for 'Domestic abuse statistics':
http://www.ncadv.org/files/DomesticViolenceFactSheet%28National%29.pdf

85% of domestic abuse victims are women. So unless you have something countering the plethora of sources they cite your claim that there is no definite proof is quite flimsy.

B: And why does it need to be less than 1%? One is a bigger problem than the other. Nearly 8 times as common. So what is the problem with focusing on the bigger problem? You're the one that took focusing on the bigger problem as saying the smaller one never happens.
Let me ask you something, whos more likely to report that their partner is abusing him/her, a man or a woman?

That's what I meant by "no definite proof".

And the problem is that by neglecting to mention the other group you give the impression that it almost never happens to the other group. over 15 percent isn't almost never.
So you lack any real proof, you just have a guess. Sorry, that's not particularly acceptable. "Oh your study is wrong because I have a random guess that you may have already accounted for, but I was too lazy to look!". Besides, for it NOT to be the majority of women you'd have to have massive amounts of under reporting. Where's your proof of that?

No, it doesn't give that impression.
I'm sorry, I wasn't aware making assumptions based on rational thinking was forbidden when arguing. Your absolutely right, I'm sorry.

Do the world a favour, google the definition of guess.
Let's see... is it rational to assume that men might be under reporting so much, with the only evidence being knowledge of society and no hard numbers, that the percentage would change by 35%+ percent? HMMMMMMMM. No, that's not rational thinking. That's playing dumb and pretending that maybe absolutely fantastical things might be unaccounted for.

When you're guessing at a ridiculous amount like that, no it isn't rational. It's simply a random guess.
Except he's not claiming they happen in equal amounts, he's just claiming it's not quite as one-sided as everyone thinks. Not, yes, women are somewhat less likely to be physically abusive, but having been in an emotionally abusive relationship myself, this whole attitude Western society has of sweeping abuse against men under the rug because it's less frequently physical, and less common, needs to fucking stop.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Bobic said:
Well, this is something I've never thought about, but you've gone and piqued my curiosity. How do the figures compare for that, is there more/less? Is there a difference in figures between gay males and lesbians? Or do you not really know d'yu to it being glossed over?
It's occurs at roughly the same rate as in heterosexual relationships. There are some differences, abused partners in a same-sex relationship are more likely to fight back. However, this fighting back may lead to authorities dismissing LGBT domestic violence as a mutual dispute.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Dags90 said:
Bobic said:
Well, this is something I've never thought about, but you've gone and piqued my curiosity. How do the figures compare for that, is there more/less? Is there a difference in figures between gay males and lesbians? Or do you not really know d'yu to it being glossed over?
It's occurs at roughly the same rate as in heterosexual relationships. There are some differences, abused partners in a same-sex relationship are more likely to fight back. However, this fighting back may lead to authorities dismissing LGBT domestic violence as a mutual dispute.

Aaaaaaah. Curiosity satisfied. Thank you very much.

MordinSolus

Feb 10, 2011
(This is to be read in a sarcastic tone.) Because is just terrible, just terrible. And we must make sure women know not to date men.

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
This is old news and long over, but there was this incident of a woman drugging her husband and castrating him because he asked for a divorce, only for the whole incident to be applauded on "The View."

That was fun.

Jake Lewis Clayton

Apr 22, 2010
Fagotto said:
Jake Lewis Clayton said:
Fagotto said:
B: And why does it need to be less than 1%? One is a bigger problem than the other. Nearly 8 times as common.

15 x 4 = 60
15 x 5 = 75
<------
15 x 6 = 90
15 x 7 = 105
15 x 8 = 120

There's where you want to be aiming, it's between 5 and 6, not 8 ;-)

You did good with the statistics and sources, just don't put your own figures in unless your ability to do maths is atleast primary school when you post :)
I'll just laugh at you while I go on to do my college 'maths'. One mistake, big deal.
Bloody hell, worried for you then ;-)

Feb 13, 2008
Fagotto said:
Never said that.
Fagotto said:
85% of domestic abuse victims are women.
Yes, you did. That's what that statistic is.

They're flawed statistics.
Your reasoning so far on why has been a tad off.
Simple, they don't show DV, they show partner violence, which is a different thing.

Huge disparity? >40% male is NOT a huge disparity.
If I agree with your report. That is only given in an article and from one particular men's rights group.
From data given to them by the Home Office and the British Crime Survey. If you won't trust a report made from official statistics then you're going purely by you're own feelings.

The CDC report linked earlier shows a similar ratio for the US. 5 females to every 3 males.

If you disagree with both US and UK statistics, then you're way out on your own.

targren

May 13, 2009
So I happen to be watching reruns of oprah, mostly because I had nothing alse to do. Ok, entirely because I had nothing to do but anyway, the issue addressed in the episode is the abuse and/or murder of WOMEN by their MALE boyfriends/husbands and exes.

I started thinking, why is it MALE?

What's the point of making it very clear that men beating up they're girlfriends is an issue (and it is), and simultaneously completely ignoring that there's even a possibility of it happening the other way around.

And before you say that it's because it happens mostly to women, A: There's no definite proof of that and B: I don't really see how that changes the issue unless women beating men is an extremely small less than 1% minority in these cases.

Doesn't this just really help reinforce a harmful view in society that women could never bring harm to men?

Edit: Would you people please stop complaining to me that I didn't provide exact numbers, those wouldn't add to either either the question or the point im making. If you care so much you look it up.

No, it's not. It's only sexist when it's unfair to women. Quit whining.

(For the thickies: that's sarcasm)

Grospoliner

Feb 16, 2010
I had a friend who was murdered not 6 months ago by his wife. She's charged with Murder 2.

Thundero13

Mar 19, 2009
Actually i'm pretty sure that women abuse their boyfriends/husbands more, or at least they get away with it more because men are often too proud to step forward or something...
Anyway, yes it is very sexist, no doubt

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
Because women can't be sexist, just like non-white people can't be racist. That's just how society works.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
I think Oprah might have done a show about battered husbands at some point. I vaguely remember it being an "important issue of the day" for a little while back in the 90s. If she hasn't, Dr. Phil definitely has. He has enough multitudes of freaks on his show, that abused husbands probably show up even during episodes involving unrelated domestic issues. Really, you can say just about anything is "sexist." Restrooms are totally sexist, by the way. So are gyms and locker rooms. End sexism! We need to break the shower barrier!

Magicmad5511

May 26, 2011
Its like the double standard of hitting people. A woman can hit a man and no one blinks. A man hits a woman and the guy is a monster. Sexism still exists and at many points it targets men as much as women because while women are rarely discriminated against, men are now unable to be nice to women without someone thinking they are trying to say either women are weak or men are more dominant. I wish people would calm down and realise that some people are just kind.

Reman Khaar

May 26, 2011
That's just bitches being bitches. Can't really do anything about it.

*is not being serious* *does not like the fact that he has to add that he's not being serious because he thinks people take things so srs*

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Oprah is like Lifetime in that their audience is predominantly women, and a good portion of those women are housewives or single moms (because who watches more daytime TV than housewives?). So in order to be more relateable, the stories they show feature women in those domestic abuse situations. If they show men in those situations, and females as the "villains," it won't resonate with them as much. Or at least that's what their focus groups all tell them, and GOD FORBID any of these shows and channels ignore what focus groups have to say!

KaizokuouHasu

May 19, 2011
Before I give my two cents I'd first like to stress this; I do not in any way mean to downplay how serious the issue of domestic abuse towards women is. That said; I have grown up surrounded by women and have been in the 'friend zone' long enough to understand that many (not most - because that I will never be able to verify) women - even from a young age - have a scary perspective on how relationships and the legal system behind domestic relations should work. Women can be scarily manipulative. Even the innocent frail types. While I have seen a quite a few women go through rough relationships I have also experienced women who've acted so despicable to their partners - mostly while they were not together - and still managed to make it out to be their 'boyfriend's' fault. Interesting psychology if you ask me.

Now, what I do want to put out there is this; Abuse in relationships towards men is severely downplayed.

JochemDude said:
Shark Wrangler said:
I love how a great majority of women don't take responsibility for their actions.
That's crossing the line between a opinion and a sexist insult.
And what if it's true? We can't say for sure that it isn't. I've met more women who likes to find excuses than that wants to own up for their actions. Does that make me a sexist? Ever thought about how many women out there believe that men are one of the biggest causes to all their problems, and how few men believe that women are the cause to theirs? There is a flicker of truth in even the most outrageous statements.

Fagotto said:
twistedmic said:
Fagotto said:
A: Did you even look? First google hit for 'Domestic abuse statistics':
http://www.ncadv.org/files/DomesticViolenceFactSheet%28National%29.pdf

85% of domestic abuse victims are women. So unless you have something countering the plethora of sources they cite your claim that there is no definite proof is quite flimsy.

B: And why does it need to be less than 1%? One is a bigger problem than the other. Nearly 8 times as common. So what is the problem with focusing on the bigger problem? You're the one that took focusing on the bigger problem as saying the smaller one never happens.
That would be 85% of reported domestic abuse situations. There could be hundreds or thousands of cases where men have been physically abused by women that haven't been reported, either because the victim was too embarrassed to make the report or felt that they would receive no help from the authorities. Also, of those reported cases, there's the possibility that some of those reports were false. The women claims to have been abused to get back at the man for one reason or another (i.e. to get sole custody of children, to get more alimony, to get ownership of the house, etc.). Please note that I do not believe that all, or even most women, lie about physical abuse. Only a very few (hopefully) do that.
There could also be a conspiracy to hide a flat earth, but what reason is there to believe in one? Similarly, why would I think that it would be THAT under reported? The amount of error would need to be pretty huge. If someone wants to claim an error that huge I want something more substantial than possibilities like that =/
I feel I can safely say that women are much more likely to falsely report domestic abuse than men. They are also more likely to actually be abused full stop, so I'm not disagreeing with statistics completely. Here's an interesting example from something I heard from a woman classmate from the days I still studied psychology. We were talking about relationships, and somehow managed to drift to how to "discipline/condition behaviour" in a relationship. In my class I was the only man, and the other 6 were women. 5 of the women thought were united in the idea that women should be allowed to hit their partner for disobedience/loyalty or repeated failure to follow instruction but were outraged when I suggested that if they felt that this was an acceptable practice then it should be okay if it was done in the reverse too. Their idea was that in the feminist world that we live in today women shouldn't be afraid of being unfairly or unjustly treated by their men (a fair view), but women should be allowed to tease, bully and in some cases hit men because in their minds men are stronger than women and should be able to stand such treatment, otherwise it's not equality. A worrying opinion to have if you ask me.

I also feel that I can safely say that men are extremely unlikely to report domestic abuse at all - even anonymously - because it takes a certain type of man to be able to live with an abusive spouse without retaliating or divorcing. Even in the case of divorce men are unlikely to take legal action for the abuse, but just use it to justify the split (unless he lies and just says it's only down to mutual unhappiness). Having known quite a few men who live with abusive spouses - even physically abusing - I have come to understand a common denominator; self-esteem. Most of these men had in common that they all felt that they were lucky to have the partner they did now, even though they were regularly debased, assaulted verbally or physically and deprived of affection or in some cases their own belongings and earnings. Another problem men face in an abusive relationship is that if they one day snap and hit back or verbally lash out at their spouse it is easy for the woman to report this as domestic abuse and downplay the part she had to play that provoked the incident in the first place. It is a well known fact that the legal system currently sometimes completely overlook the idea that women can be abusive (which I feel is sexist, because I know that women can punch hard too), and doctors world-wide have anonymously leaked that there is an alarming amount of men that come into their clinics or hospitals with bruises and wounds that they got from home. While the doctors and nurses managed to get it to light that it was their spouses who had caused them they couldn't convince the men to file for legal action. Saaaaaad!

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Soooo, if I understand this correctly a tv show is either operating on a skewed perception, or deliberately ignoring facts because they don't suit them?

Shit, I'd never have guessed.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
It's not sexist, no more than doing an episode of the reverse would be.

I have no facts to back this up, it's pure thoughts of mine, but i think the relationships beween wife-beaters and their wifes are different than the reverse, while the outcome is the same, there are just different reasons, dynamics etc.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
WHile i don't have any facts to back it up, i think theres a lot of different things going on in a relationship where the man beats his wife, compared to the reverse where a woman beats her husbond.
For starters, theres the difference in how society responds to it, and peopels fear of that.
A woman beeing beaten by a man will probably be seen as a victim, by more people than the reverse, and will recieve less social stigma than a man not beeing able to stand up to his abusive wife.

ThIs would mean, that while the two things are equally wrong, and may seem identical, they will be handled differently.

Therefore i don't think it's sexist, as theres a good reason to not mix them.
The best way to avoid people considering it sexist, would be to do an episode of the reverse, where it's abused husbonds in focus.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
That is indeed sexist.

Shark Wrangler said:
I guess having boobs and a vagina gets you out of anything that is your fault.
This is also sexist. Just pointing that out, you know. Sexism - like abuse - works both ways.

That said women abuse men also a lot, but women are - on average - just not physically as strong as men so it's unlikely that the man in question will be injured enough to be hospitalized. Combine that with the fact that most males would find it very imasculating to report that a woman is abusing them (again, sexism), and you've got a pretty solid possible explanation for why man on woman abuse seems to be so much more common than woman on man abuse.

And we're not even talking about woman vs woman or man vs man.