Poll: It's About Time :: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (a super-mecha-awesome review)

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
Stranger of Sorts said:
Heart of Darkness said:
No problem. Remember, I am here to be a chainsaw, so that I may make your reviews multi-faceted and brilliant. So if anything came out as hyper-critical, I apologize, but that's just my "job."
No, if anything it's a great thing. I wish everyone would tear into my reviews with constructive feedback since then I'd be shot out the other end of the machine as some kind of "super-reviewer". Ah... I can dream at least.
As long as it's not a cannon, I can get behind that. Although being shot out of a cannon could be rather fun...
Well since the image is in my head I'd go for it, though in reality I'd be a tad less enthusiastic.

Phoenix1213

Sep 2, 2009
Stranger of Sorts said:
As you noticed I played the game on PS3, as I do with all games so I have never played a game with mods. I don't know why you use the words "boring" and "generic" because really that is the opposite of what most quests on the game are. Pretty much all the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quests are pretty special, especially the former.
Yeah, that's what I meant by most quests... pretty much almost everything except for those two guilds.

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
Phoenix1213 said:
Stranger of Sorts said:
As you noticed I played the game on PS3, as I do with all games so I have never played a game with mods. I don't know why you use the words "boring" and "generic" because really that is the opposite of what most quests on the game are. Pretty much all the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quests are pretty special, especially the former.
Yeah, that's what I meant by most quests... pretty much almost everything except for those two guilds.
Well agree to disagree I'm afraid, I quite like the fighters' guild ones as well and some of the misc. ones were pretty special (i.e The Collector ones)

DuplicateValue

Jun 25, 2009
Overall, I thought this was a very good review of a brilliant game. I love Oblivion, and never get bored of reading about it, so this kept me entertained for a while.

There's just one thing that bothered me throughout the review (and I'm just nitpicking here): your use of commas seemed..........odd at times.
I don't know - maybe there's ways of using them that I was never told about, but as far as my knowledge goes, I don't think you're using them quite right.
For example:
I never finished the story mode for both the reason of the lack of motivation from the story and also the fact that I really didn't like going into the other dimension of Oblivion, it's boring and rather too red for my taste.
Maybe a semicolon or a dash might have served better? You do this quite a few times.
Or I could be wrong. That's always a possibility.

Otherwise, good work! =]

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
DuplicateValue said:
Overall, I thought this was a very good review of a brilliant game. I love Oblivion, and never get bored of reading about it, so this kept me entertained for a while.

There's just one thing that bothered me throughout the review (and I'm just nitpicking here): your use of commas seemed..........odd at times.
I don't know - maybe there's ways of using them that I was never told about, but as far as my knowledge goes, I don't think you're using them quite right.
For example:
I never finished the story mode for both the reason of the lack of motivation from the story and also the fact that I really didn't like going into the other dimension of Oblivion, it's boring and rather too red for my taste.
Maybe a semicolon or a dash might have served better? You do this quite a few times.
Or I could be wrong. That's always a possibility.

Otherwise, good work! =]
Heart of Darkness actually just bought this up as well and from what I've patched together it seems that I use commas in place of semi-colons, colons etc. So I'm going to have to cram my head full of ways to use the other forms of punctuation.

Oh and thanks for the feedback :)

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
Novskij said:
No Morrowind in poll, fuck that, i voted dragon age.
How did I forget to put that? *hits head*, anyway the poll was more of an afterthought. The review is meant to take centre stage.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Stranger of Sorts said:
Heart of Darkness said:
...Yeah, never would have guessed that. Slang might be something else to avoid, as not all of us come from the UK...
I never realised it was slang, the term has been around for as long as I can remember and everyone uses it so I assumed it was an international saying.
I knew what it meant, but Heart is correct in surmising that is not common usage outside of the UK, at least not in the fashion you employed it.

• One-off adj. Chiefly British. 1. Happening, done, or made only once. -- One-off n. Something that is not repeated or reproduced.
In the states the phrase is mostly relegated to discussions of manufacturing and prototypes, which are often ""one-offs" - you only get one of them off of the assembly line.

atled3

Jan 10, 2010
You seriously want me to choose between Oblivion, fallout 3 and Dragon Age: Origins.
I simply cannot decide between those.

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
David Bray said:
Yo, where's Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind on your poll. Shits on all of them.
Already answered that one, got anything to say about the actual review?

Novskij said:
I totally disagree on exploration on being rewarding, because everything looks and feels the same, unlike morrowind, and i put lots of effort into exploration in many games, I managed to explore every square in morrowind, and in the world of warcraft, i explored all of old azeroth. I was rewarded by the fact that everything was diffrent and felt a discovery.
For me it was "ooh look a cave full of vampires. Hey, this one has a note saying sorry to his family" Just little things like that made it for me.

atled3 said:
You seriously want me to choose between Oblivion, fallout 3 and Dragon Age: Origins.
I simply cannot decide between those.
You don't have to vote, no one is forcing you :)