Poll: It's About Time :: Final Fantasy XII

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
I never got past the Tomb of Raithwall. The Sandsea itself was just flat-out bland, and I found the combat pretty boring, but I didn't get very far, so who knows?

Overall, didn't like it, but I'll pick it up again some time just for the sake of beating it.

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
I absolutly loved this game. I one day need to go back and finish off Yizamat. I've got him down to a quater health but then, I just grew bored of the game. If you did most of the hunts at the earliest oppotunities, I found I became way overpowered and the main quest just got easy and boring, I almost didn't finish the game because it was so easy at the end.

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
Daymo said:
I absolutly loved this game. I one day need to go back and finish off Yizamat. I've got him down to a quater health but then, I just grew bored of the game. If you did most of the hunts at the earliest oppotunities, I found I became way overpowered and the main quest just got easy and boring, I almost didn't finish the game because it was so easy at the end.
Somehow I managed to avoid that, though once I got a mage who could hit 9999 with every attack it did get rather ridiculous.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
StarStruckStrumpets said:
I absolutely loved 12, up until (as all of you stalkers will know) I got up to Elder Wyrm. That boss screwed me over so hard I couldn't bare it. I've never touched the game since I clocked 264 losses. That was 3 years ago, I refuse to play it again.

the elder wyrm is arguably the strongest enemy in the game since you'll be very very weak the time you encounter it.

the trick is ust keep throwing phoenix downs on the guest character (the boy) and he'll keep healing you while you use the BERSERK spell on everyone else.

always leave one of berserk so he can berserk the others.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
I liked the change in mechanics its the very, very dull story and unlikable characters I have issue with.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
FFXII is my black sheep favorite of the series, I desperately adore the complex world design and political story but really wasn't a fan of Vaan and the general pacing of the thing. The battle system also has it's issues, it's not that it's distinctly too automatic, it's not much different from the battles systems of the Baldur's Gate Series in basic concept, they just don't give you enough abilities to make it exciting.

Mr. In-between

Apr 7, 2010
FFXII is jelly-leveling Balthier, Fran, and Basch as I type this. I haven't yet finished the main story, but I will say that I expected a lot more out of this game than what I got and I will probably be selling it back to Gamestop to buy a copy of X as soon as I am finished.

I absolutely hate MMOs, and I am upset that Square-Enix chose to take this game in this direction.

irequirefood

May 26, 2010
Thank you, a reviewer who liked this game! This is actually almost my favourite FF games, after X. I don't get why everybody complained about the combat system. Personally I found it much more fun than turn-based games. Some bosses were fairly difficult for me, but I would leave the game for a month of so and come back, beat the boss first try. I'm scared to do the last hunt after what my friend has told me about it.

DuplicateValue

Jun 25, 2009
OmegaXIII said:
I enjoyed 12 until two glaring facts dawned on me.

1. The only character i actually cared about was Basch
That's interesting, he's the one I liked least.
My favourites were Larsa and Ashe.

Also, I'll get around to reading the review soon, I'm a bit busy at the moment.
I have to say I love this game too though.

Mr. Win

Jan 23, 2010
That anybody doesn't like Balthier is mind-boggling.

For what its worth, I thought the game did a good job of telling as complex a story as it did in as little cutscenes as possible. And I don't see why people say the game plays itself. You haven't really played FF12 until you've beaten it on active time, and with no gambits.

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
By the by, someones made a translation patch for the Zodiac Job System (Although more approrpiately they transfered the dialogue from the english version to the Zodiac Job version) but he's translating the rest of the stuff as well.

XII was my second favourite after 6- That's right I said it. The combat was fun because I didn't turn gambits on everyone, the plot pacing was schizophrenic and the characters... well

See a lot of people say they didn't develop but it's more like they subtley developed. They had reached the point where facial expressions and body language were used to show development so it was less Wordswordswords and more "Notice how there reacting"

I'll say the same thing I said about Gundam Wing so many years ago. Don't just look at what there saying, look at what they are doing. Of course I'll concede that this clearly didn't work at least in this game.

ozium

Feb 8, 2011
I really liked this game and I still do not know why people hate it. It wasn't the hardest Final Fantasy but the later hunts did provide a worthy challenge. Especially the last hunt. That took me 6 hours.

ScatterBen

Dec 3, 2009
Just my brief opinions (I could go on for ages and, indeed, once I did in a thread of my own creation a few months back):

Plot: Best of the FFs. The role the Occuria play make it feel very SMT (which is awesome) and the general tone of the whole thing just surpasses whatever came before it, especially when compared with the ham-handed delivery of VIII and Xs plots. Shame about the terrible pacing, at certain points, and the...

Characters: Ashe, Basch and Balthier are some of my favourite FF characters, and Gabranth is probably my favourite villain. Their development is subtle and believable - much better than the clumsy way character development had been dealt with in some previous entries (*cough* VII and VIII *cough*). It's, therefore, a great shame about the other 3 party members who get very little development and have no real reason for being there (except maybe Vaan, who plays quite the symbolic role). Half excellent - half poor.

The game was made by Matsuno, so it's no surprise about the quality of what is actually decent but it is striking how poorly some of it is handed (perhaps because he was taken off the project mid-way by Square). If you haven't already you should check out his other games, FF:Tactics, Vagrant Story (which I still need to beat) and Tactics Ogre. I just pre-ordered the remake of Tactics Ogre, and FF: Tactics probably has the best story of all of the Final Fantasy games. In my opinion, of course.

Gameplay: Decent but never blew me away. I enjoyed it, though, and think that XIII could have benefited from the Gambit system and having the battles in the same field (amongst the other things that dreadful game needed). As you can tell, though, my main "passion" for FF XII lies in the story elements.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
I only played it a bit a while back. Didnt like it much. Cutscenes were entertaining (and cliche, but its expected to be.. so its okay). I liked how the main town early on seems alive and vibrant, with tons of various NPCs all around.
Played a bit at a friend's place. Reached the flaming-horse boss in the sewers (IIRC), died in seconds 3-4 times before i just gave up.
License board need a gamefaq because fiddling around randomly (or was it? cant remember) to find the license for XYZ item isnt fun imho.