Poll: James Wan To Produce Resident Evil Film Reboot

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Resident Evil gets a reboot after 7 sequels but Warcraft won't get one sequel :(
It makes sense. The Resident Evil movies manage to produce about the same level of quality as Warcarft but for a tiny fraction of the price.

Besides, you may get your Warcraft sequel, so long as you don't mind listening to Chinese and reading subtitles.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Hawk of Battle said:
But we only just buried this series! Fucks sake.
If we just buried it, explain the latest game, then.

OT: I say go for it. I still found them entertaining.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
And they botched the lore by making Garona Warchief of Horde and not having the Siege of Stormwind happen at all.
From the outset, it was stated that the movie was going to do its own thing. Diverging from canon is the least of the movie's problems.

And mind you, I did actually enjoy the Warcraft movie. Can I call it a "good" movie though? Eh, not really.

Hawk of Battle said:
But we only just buried this series! Fucks sake.
Undead, mate. Not enough headshots.

Vanilla ISIS said:
The story (if you can call it that) was finally finished in the last movie and the game series is popular again so why not?
Is that technically true though? RE7 was well received critically, but last I heard, lagged behind RE6 in sales.

I think the same goes for movies and games - action is a far more accessible genre than (survival) horror.

That said, like Warcraft, I'm happy to judge the RE film series on its own merits (or, towards the end, lack of them). So if we're going to get an immediate route, I'd prefer a horror one. Just not on Saw levels...

Zhukov said:
It makes sense. The Resident Evil movies manage to produce about the same level of quality as Warcarft but for a tiny fraction of the price.
Same "quality"? Is that a typo, or an assertion that the Resident Evil movies are better than Warcraft?

If the latter, I'd say that's definately true for at least the first two RE movies, and possibly the third. Definately not the fifth though...bleh.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
I dunno if he can do it, those are some big shoes to fill... I mean, does he even have a hot wife he can show off in every movie? In a way that makes you think he might have a bit of a Voyeur fetish?

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Hey, as long as Mr Wan doesn't wrap a thin veneer of Resi lore over a totes kick-ass, bad-ass, bike-riding, infallible superpowered ultra-psyker who can blow up satellites with her mind for his planned reboot, he could have directed the bloody Scary Movie franchise for all I care!

....Ok, maybe I would care about that, BUT the first few Saw movies and Conjuring were alright, so I'm all for a proper Resi film instead of the Incredible Adventures of Alice Godslayer!

[small]For the sake of fairness, I think the original Resi movie was pretty good as a generic action horror flick, and Extinction and another whose name I forget were alright as dumb action movies, but Apocalypse was garbage and the one with Leon, Ada and Barry was one of the crappiest films I've seen this side of Transformers.[/small]

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Dragonlayer said:
infallible superpowered ultra-psyker who can blow up satellites with her mind
Wait, when did she do that?

Dragonlayer said:
For the sake of fairness, I think the original Resi movie was pretty good as a generic action horror flick, and Extinction and another whose name I forget were alright as dumb action movies, but Apocalypse was garbage and the one with Leon, Ada and Barry was one of the crappiest films I've seen this side of Transformers
Pretty much agree with this, but I would put Apocalypse above Extinction. The first two films are pulpy zombie films that get brownie points for being at least somewhat influenced by the games. Extinction isn't outright bad, but not only does it shift away from the games (so no more brownies), it marks the point where the series stops making sense in its own universe.

(Yes, the T-virus erradicates all life on the planet, gains magic evaporative powers, and people can walk around exposed because...reasons. Oh, and Umbrella is making Alice clones and putting her through death traps because...reasons.)

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Hawki said:
Zhukov said:
Same "quality"? Is that a typo, or an assertion that the Resident Evil movies are better than Warcraft?
Neither. I said "about the same level of quality".

They're both bad, but RE is efficiently bad,

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Zhukov said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Resident Evil gets a reboot after 7 sequels but Warcraft won't get one sequel :(

Besides, you may get your Warcraft sequel, so long as you don't mind listening to Chinese and reading subtitles.
I doubt they are gonna do that.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dragonlayer said:
Hey, as long as Mr Wan doesn't wrap a thin veneer of Resi lore over a totes kick-ass, bad-ass, bike-riding, infallible superpowered ultra-psyker who can blow up satellites with her mind for his planned reboot, he could have directed the bloody Scary Movie franchise for all I care!

....Ok, maybe I would care about that, BUT the first few Saw movies and Conjuring were alright, so I'm all for a proper Resi film instead of the Incredible Adventures of Alice Godslayer!

[small]For the sake of fairness, I think the original Resi movie was pretty good as a generic action horror flick, and Extinction and another whose name I forget were alright as dumb action movies, but Apocalypse was garbage and the one with Leon, Ada and Barry was one of the crappiest films I've seen this side of Transformers.[/small]
If James Wan can make it in the tone of RE:Remake, I am all for it. I stopped caring for the live-action RE movies by the third one. What's really insulting was the first movie was going to be a lot more true to RE1. George fucking Romero was going to be the director, and had a script (which you can find online). The only thing different, from what I recall, is that Chris Redfield was going to be 1/2 Native American. Other than that nothing to different. The reason Capcom did not pick up the script was because they claimed it deviated from the games too much. HA! If that's case dumb-asses, why did you increasingly allow Hollywood to deviate from the games in each new movie installment? Man, what could have been.

Vanilla ISIS

Dec 14, 2015
Hawki said:
Is that technically true though? RE7 was well received critically, but last I heard, lagged behind RE6 in sales.
RE6 sold close to 8 million copies. There are only a handful of games this generation that even come close to those numbers, of course RE7 will lag behind (especially since 6 was a critical flop).
However, now that everybody seems to like RE7, RE8 will most likely sell a lot better (just like RE5 sold better than RE4 - the one that everyone liked).

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
Okay... It just occurred to me that they're going to reboot a movie franchise that was based on a video game franchise that was based on a previous video game that was based on a movie.

Where are we?

Are the walls breathing?

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Wan is a good horror director (when he has a good script to work with), he deserve a chance.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
I'm trying to envision how this could be worse than the last director basically masturbating onto a film while thinking of his wife, but I honestly can't.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I guess if he's directing and they give him a shoestring budget, he could potentially make a Resident Evil movie that feels more like a Saw or Paranormal Activity and emulates the most recent game in the series. Part of what made the original Saw so great was how little they had to work with so maybe if Wan is put under similar constraints he can get something comparable out of the Resi-Re-Boot.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Shoggoth2588 said:
I guess if he's directing and they give him a shoestring budget, he could potentially make a Resident Evil movie that feels more like a Saw or Paranormal Activity and emulates the most recent game in the series. Part of what made the original Saw so great was how little they had to work with so maybe if Wan is put under similar constraints he can get something comparable out of the Resi-Re-Boot.
Hello, son. Do you want to play a game with the family?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I don't know. But it makes sense to have the director of Saw to participate in the movie adaptation of a game with this puzzle.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Making the reboot better wont be much of a challenge.. I did like the first one a lot, but i was 12 years old.

Nov 28, 2007
James Wan knows how to make a scary movie. He not only is quite good at building atmosphere, but he's very good at knowing when a jump scare will actually work, and when it won't. I haven't seen Lights Out, but both Conjuring movies and the first three Saw movies were very well done.

In other words, I have hope that this reboot will be truer to the tone of the pre-RE4 games than the original was.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Hawki said:
Dragonlayer said:
infallible superpowered ultra-psyker who can blow up satellites with her mind
Wait, when did she do that?

Dragonlayer said:
For the sake of fairness, I think the original Resi movie was pretty good as a generic action horror flick, and Extinction and another whose name I forget were alright as dumb action movies, but Apocalypse was garbage and the one with Leon, Ada and Barry was one of the crappiest films I've seen this side of Transformers
Pretty much agree with this, but I would put Apocalypse above Extinction. The first two films are pulpy zombie films that get brownie points for being at least somewhat influenced by the games. Extinction isn't outright bad, but not only does it shift away from the games (so no more brownies), it marks the point where the series stops making sense in its own universe.

(Yes, the T-virus erradicates all life on the planet, gains magic evaporative powers, and people can walk around exposed because...reasons. Oh, and Umbrella is making Alice clones and putting her through death traps because...reasons.)
Now don't quote me on this - he said, quoting a quote - but I *think* the satellite destruction was at the end of Extinction, or whichever one had the Alice cloning facility in the desert. If I recall correctly, the Umbrella Council of Evil is spying on the invincible supersoldier wrecking their shit up, then the camera zooms into Alice's eyes, then up to space where we see some satellites explode and then Wesker says something ominous to the now-doomed underlings and disappears.

I enjoyed the first third of Apocalypse, when it was still focused on scattered groups of survivors desperately trying to escape the zombie-infested gutters of Racoon City, but when Alice rides a motorcycle through the windows of a cathedral, pistol in one hand and Uzi in the other, jumping off through the shattered glass and landing straight into martial arts stance, that was the exact point where I went "Oh Christ and lost all hope for the series. At least the first film and chunks of the second pretended to adhere to the source material!

[small] Yes I know you could find ridiculous action elements in the games, like say Steve leaping through windows, twin golden Lugers blazing, in Code Veronica X but he went on to be a whiny little *****, not death incarnate.[/small]