Poll: Jim sterling VS Extra credits

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Jim Sterling has just about everything nailed down. I know a lot of people hate the guy but I very rarely disagree with him. For all his joking around with his God complex and what not, hes probably the most sensible content producer on this site.

Extra Credits on the other hand? Fuck EC. Thats all I am saying.

As for immaturity on xbox live specifically, you can mute people. I never understand the problem with minor online harassment. Some guy hitting on you in Facebook? You have a block button. Some kid on xbox live calling you a ****** jew? Bring up the scoreboard, scroll down to his name and press X. Problem solved.
You probably have a metric fuck tonne of quotes with this post but fuck you, I'm going to give you another one and you're going to like it. Ok?

This is pretty spot on though and represents my opinion on the matter well, Jim has been in the gaming industry for a while so I tend to take what he says a lot more seriously than others.
I've never liked EC, I still doubt Daniel Floyd and his credibility as to why we should listen to him. Seriously someone pull up a sheet on this guy and show me why I should give a fuck about his opinion over anyone else?
He did some whiney "Everything could be better if we hold hands" video on youtube and people seemed to like the mentality that we're going to all get along and fight evil.
Basically the equivalent of the like button facebook, you support the message but when it comes to lifting a finger, clicking the like button makes you seem like less of an asshole.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Personally, I prefer the tone used in EC. But as for which show has the best opinion/advice on gaming-related material? Jim Sterling. I found the early episodes of the Jimquisition unbearable, but he's shaped the show up and Jim more often then not knows what he's talking about.

Whenever I watched EC I always felt as if the told me things I already know about storytelling, narratives in games, sexism in the gaming industry or whatever. Rarely did I feel as if they pushed beyond the surface level that I as a layman with an interest in drama and social science already knew. Jim Sterling on the other hand often seems to have a firm grasp of the finer aspects of whatever he's talking about.

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
Sterling just pissed me off with that last video he did, wont be seeing any more vids from him the bloody hypocrite.

"Europe and Australia always complain about high prices 100$ a game"

Then goes on to say right after

"There are always somewhere in the world with bigger problems but doesn't mean they are not problems".

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/5653-Better-Does-Not-Mean-Good or watch it yourself.

Crazedc00k

Mar 29, 2011
Don't quite see the "Talking down" everyone seems to be complaining about from EC. They seem ready to admit the impracticality of a solution, or their lack of expertise on an issue. They do share the fruits of their research with their viewers though, and that is effective.

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
kingthrall said:
Sterling just pissed me off with that last video he did, wont be seeing any more vids from him the bloody hypocrite.

"There are always somewhere in the world with bigger problems but doesn't mean they are not problems".

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/5653-Better-Does-Not-Mean-Good or watch it yourself.
Yeah, and? His point wasn't that Australia and Europe shouldn't complain, it is that Australia and Europe shouldn't use their terrible conditions to shout down complaints in other parts of the world.

Rouzeki

Feb 11, 2009
While i feel all the more sure in siding with EC over Jim Sterling, id be lying if i didn't say they both have something important to add in their own ways.

Yes, im a big fan of Extra Credits, because while they have apparently mess a few things up in the past(this is me admitting i have no interest in fact checking inconsistency of information at the minute), their method of delivery is the kind of thing that can be useful as an introduction method to people outside the games sphere, as well as back up information you already know. Sorry Jim, but id sooner link an Extra Credits video to my less game savvy acquaintances, if i felt they should consider something within it. They can AT LEAST serve as a less vitriolic method of getting various game discussions going. Its not like their ideas are all wrong either. that's another thing about them- they do tend to come down even handed, so just as you might hear them disapprove of something, you'll see them want to tackle something in another way. an even handed approach is something rare as far as I've seen.

Jim (to me) however, is the guy with the Chain-sword complaining in reasoned, but nonetheless anger laden tones about something gone wrong. he makes good sense, but pulls no verbal punch, for whatever good or ill that is. he works just as well in a lot of ways. to those as savvy as we can be, he is like us- at least acting in the same visible rage we emit.

Frankly they both have something to share to the Industry, and I'd assume they share concerns and hopes the industry will get better.

Why not both of them? I think this preference is how we see them. With Jim each Monday I'm expecting a real good rant where someone or thing gets wailed on, and I'm pleasantly surprised if its something I've never heard of. with Extra Credits on Wednesday, I'm hoping to hear something I haven't considered or thought of yet. if I have heard it before, I want to see where they take it. its the air of their works, id say.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
Rouzeki said:
While i feel all the more sure in siding with EC over Jim Sterling, id be lying if i didn't say they both have something important to add in their own ways.

Yes, im a big fan of Extra Credits, because while they have apparently mess a few things up in the past(this is me admitting i have no interest in fact checking inconsistency of information at the minute), their method of delivery is the kind of thing that can be useful as an introduction method to people outside the games sphere, as well as back up information you already know. Sorry Jim, but id sooner link an Extra Credits video to my less game savvy acquaintances, if i felt they should consider something within it. They can AT LEAST serve as a less vitriolic method of getting various game discussions going. Its not like their ideas are all wrong either. that's another thing about them- they do tend to come down even handed, so just as you might hear them disapprove of something, you'll see them want to tackle something in another way. an even handed approach is something rare as far as I've seen.

Jim (to me) however, is the guy with the Chain-sword complaining in reasoned, but nonetheless anger laden tones about something gone wrong. he makes good sense, but pulls no verbal punch, for whatever good or ill that is. he works just as well in a lot of ways. to those as savvy as we can be, he is like us- at least acting in the same visible rage we emit.

Frankly they both have something to share to the Industry, and I'd assume they share concerns and hopes the industry will get better.

Why not both of them? I think this preference is how we see them. With Jim each Monday I'm expecting a real good rant where someone or thing gets wailed on, and I'm pleasantly surprised if its something I've never heard of. with Extra Credits on Wednesday, I'm hoping to hear something I haven't considered or thought of yet. if I have heard it before, I want to see where they take it. its the air of their works, id say.
If I were to come up with an analogy for the Extra Credits vs. Jimquisition debates, it would be like comparing TED Talks to the O'Reilly Factor.

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
So, the question in the poll is "who should the industry listen to?", but the post is just ragging on the EC harassment episode...

Also, just FYI, both of them are part of "the industry". Perhaps you meant, "who should consumers listen to?".

To that I say:

They are two different shows, with two different purposes. They don't really agree or disagree on various topics, because they are answering different questions.

It's like you pulled a comparison out of mid-air just to put some meat on your complaint. "The Knicks sucked it up last night, don't you think that the Seahawks better represent American athleticism?"

Sorry, Jim, for making you the Seahawks in that analogy.

In the wise words of Brian Reagan: They're both favorites, one is like another favorite, but not as much. Not as much favorite. So if they have one, I'll have that one, but if they don't it's okay because the other is favorite anyway. They're both good.

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
j0frenzy said:
kingthrall said:

Yeah, and? His point wasn't that Australia and Europe shouldn't complain, it is that Australia and Europe shouldn't use their terrible conditions to shout down complaints in other parts of the world.
that is a load of bull, with that stupid baby voice making the interpretation we are crying over nothing. No you are wrong, and there are no terrible conditions here. We have a free trade agreement with the US so there is little excuse especially now with the high Australian dollar over the greenback.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
MrHide-Patten said:
I still find the communities attitude towards EC funny. When they were on the escapist, everyone praised the earth they walked on and when they left any praise seemed to follow suite. Now Jim is now the appointed messiah of the Escapist Community.

Either way I think both parties have valid opinions and ideas, but if anything Jim sometimes feels a bit too tongue in cheek if that makes any sense.
I was just thinking that myself. Everybody is being really hostile to EC and I can't figure out why.

Then again, they're a bit different anyway so I voted both. Jim's a journalist and can provide insight on certain things that EC can't and EC working in the gaming industry itself can do the same vice versa.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Stalydan said:
MrHide-Patten said:
I still find the communities attitude towards EC funny. When they were on the escapist, everyone praised the earth they walked on and when they left any praise seemed to follow suite. Now Jim is now the appointed messiah of the Escapist Community.

Either way I think both parties have valid opinions and ideas, but if anything Jim sometimes feels a bit too tongue in cheek if that makes any sense.
I was just thinking that myself. Everybody is being really hostile to EC and I can't figure out why.

Then again, they're a bit different anyway so I voted both. Jim's a journalist and can provide insight on certain things that EC can't and EC working in the gaming industry itself can do the same vice versa.
I think you just answered as to why the Escapist Community is hostile to EC. I've sort of noticed a sort of Anti-Games Industry from the Escapist Community. It's especially prevalent since the whole ME fiasco and a large (disturbing) quantity wants to watch the Industry burn to the ground, hoping theyd get some Pheonix out of the ashes.

More or less EC also goes into thing with a more positive perspective I can say, as opposed to Jim that likes to point at the things that are on fire and says we are right to throw petrol at them.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
TheMagicLemur said:
James Ennever said:
ECs solution, which I think would ruin multiplayer is to factor in A mute average. What if you are having A bad day and you trash talk the opisition? according to them you should be permenantly ostrisised, it is a dangerous idea.
Oh please. If you manage to piss off enough people in ONE DAY to get yourself auto-muted, you have serious rage issues.

OT: Extra Credits is, and was always, better than Jimquisition. It's not "pretentious" to discuss games and gaming concepts without resorting to flaming vitriol. The Escapist is poorer for losing EC.
The Escapist is poorer for losing EC. Primarily because Extra Credits stole a couple tens of thousands of dollars from them.

Sep 8, 2010
PrinceOfShapeir said:
The Escapist is poorer for losing EC. Primarily because Extra Credits stole a couple tens of thousands of dollars from them.
Clever, but it's not nearly that cut-and-dry. I'm not even about to jump into that argument again though; BOTH sides handled it badly and it doesn't affect the depth or quality of Extra Credits one bit.

craftomega

May 4, 2011
James Ennever said:
Today I turned coats and ventured into PA to wach the weekly Extra credits, and there I realised something. That Jim sterling Knows more about the online gaming scene than the three of them combined.

Yes sexism in Xbox live is unacceptable and yes verbal jousting does cross the line, But If we followed the suggestions they say, it would be the death of free speech. Where is the line between sexism, racism and bullying and at what point does it leave the realms of hate speech and into just having a different opinion?

Jim sterling?s theory of immaturity being a good way to deal with unlikable people is what happens online 60% of the time. Here is an example of how jims logic works.

In the end, you both have the ability to silence each other through the use of mute, and fragging them is always the best option. Every time I hear A racist 12 year old from Indonesia, I (1) mute them (2) frag them (3) unmute them to see if they will act civil now(4) if not mute then warn my teammates, no need to ban anyone just ignore them or If they are to young to be playing the game mock them about there age and how they should ?really get of their mom?s computer? ??.simple

Edit 1
I like EC it is just that yesterdays episode contridivted jims earlier video.

EC is not "pretentous" It is sometimes biased but not uninteligable.

Edit 2

To clear one point, I believe that light trash talk IE swearing is accepteble. \Personel threats sexist/racist remarks are ban worthy.

Edit 3
takes a special sort of question to get metioned in an episode of the Jimquisition....
Extra credits I expect a 3 episode mini series(scarcasm)
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/5653-Better-Does-Not-Mean-Good
Or or... you could take what of them are saying as OPINIONS!!! Why does no one get this... There is no him vr him, it?s the fucking internet people!

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Yeah, and you can have an opinion that's stupid. It's even possible to hold an opinion that's outright wrong.

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
wintercoat said:
snip

When I'm talked down to practically every EC episode like I'm a fucking 5 year old? Yes, the open hostility is warranted. Jim does it for the rise it gets out of people. The EC crew are just pretentious.
Woah of course they speak to the audience simply. They are explaining to an audience that might not be very game literate. They are being the opposite of pretentious in this respect. They are opening the medium to new players and trying to avoid the pitfalls of catering only to the established community of hardcore gamers which ostracizes the others.

By speaking simply they are not patronizing you, why on earth would you think that? you think they take some joy from making people feel small? That's the opposite of what they do in their show. They are making the show more accessible to an audience who does not yet understand games. For this reason it is perfect if you wanted to show someone who does not play games some of the detailed "tropes" of gaming so they can enjoy the medium as well.

You can criticize EC for a few things but this is not one.

XelaisPWN

Jun 8, 2009
Honestly? I know the god complex thing Jim does is "just an act," but it makes everything he says come off as a joke- or worse, far more preachy and pretentious than a lot of you make Extra Credits out to be. And honestly, more often than not he's speaking to the choir. Yes, I know on-disc DLC is an asshole move. Yes, I know DRM is bad. But I never, in my wildest dreams, imagined the effects the Diablo 3 real world marketplace could have on the gaming industry at large.

Extra Credits presents new (not always good, I'll give you that, but new) ideas, or old ones not often thought about, and they're presented in a way that's accessible to the lay man or possibly one who is familiar with games but not the inner workings of the industry. Jim just comes across as an asshole more often than not. I do find myself disagreeing with each an equal amount, but I think the presentation really matters.

shadow_Fox81

Jul 29, 2011
i like yahtze

bam.

but any thinking deeply about gaming seems to be of some worth

EDIT; also i'm auZtralian. so bias