Poll: LARPing... Sad-nerdy or awesome-nerdy?

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
LARP-Live Action Role Play.
So im a LARPer and a nerd, and I alright with that... But what about you?

Whats your opinion on LARPing? And on LARPers?

Added two videos from a LARP I participated in last summer.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
God, I wish there was a active (or at least not so well hidden) LARP community near where I live.

I would love to at least try.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I don't have any personal experience with it so I'm not sure what I think about it really.
A lot of the costumes look fun but I think I'd feel a little silly acting things out, that's just me though.

My internet connection decided a while ago that it doesn't like letting me use The Escapist properly so I can't look at the videos.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
I don't get it, I love me some pen and paper but whenever I watch LARP it just looks like they're titting around, there's no game there. And if I'm goin to make a chump out of myself there better be a damn enjoyable game in it for me.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
It's just acting for the purpose of fun rather than profit. Not particularly weird, just a very cool idea. I don't LARP myself, but I'm all for those who do.

Dec 14, 2009
There's another word for LARPing.

It's called acting.

No need to give it a different name.

I don't do it personally, but I have nothing against those who do.

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
DarthZod said:
I do Vampire: The Masqurade LARP. but no to any kind of boffer foam sword LARP.
Until Cam got all arsey about non-US groups furthering plot I used to love Werewolf and Vamp. Did some LRP at college then swapped to Viking/Norman re-enactment, seeing as I was the only one in the group who had the strength and stamina to run around with both mail and a longsword screaming like a nutter. And I had kick-ass hair to boot.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
I have the same view of it as I have of acting; I don't enjoy it in the slightest, and I don't really give a shit if someone else does/doesn't.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Nah, LARPing for me is slightly too sad.

I mean, i'd be fine with a massive battle like the videos you posted above, but everything around here is like 20 people nerding it up. While i'm ok with nerding it up, in small groups, i'd rather just talk and piss about than dress up.

Edit:

If paintball counts, then I drop all semblance of "its a bit to sad" and move it up to being awesome.

I just realise when I hear the word larp I think about people casting magic missile. Whoops

Ladette

Feb 4, 2011
It looks fun, if there was a decent community in my area i'd be willing to take a look at it.

Aerakade

Aug 15, 2008
I do mostly table top but have done a few LARPs and most of them were surprising good. They were however, less focused on costumes and combat and more plot/politically focused.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Depends. If you ever do anything, but say you're someone else doing it (like saying you're playing hockey and you're gretzky) thats LARPing.

Anytime you see a little kid pretending to be someone, thats larping.

I see it as showing you have a good imagination.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I'm not in to LARPing myself but I don't think any less of those who do. Sure, there's the stereotype that it's for the 'nerdy, spectacled, virgin losers' but that's coming from people who just don't realize that it's just an other hobby. What makes it so different from the group of people who get together to cook? Or knit? Or embroider? Or go rock climbing? Or hiking?

It's a bunch of like minded people having a good time outside and not breaking any laws. Good for them for finding a community where they belong and a past time that's fun for them.

Soupy George

Ejerkashun Prufshnal
Jan 8, 2010
Since I was a member of Treasure Trap waaay back in the '80s (1st UK LARP venue I think) it would be hypocritical of me to vote "Sad", but I couldn't bring myself to do that sort of thing these days. Still, good times, good times.

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
Hell yeah! I've been a part of Dagorhir for about 6 years now and I love it. If anyone is interested, go to Dargorhir.com and look up a chapter near you. It's a ton of fun and a great way to stay in shape :)

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
It's... well, put it this way, if I did it, I wouldn't bring it up in conversation unprompted.

As long as you're having fun, though, that's the main thing.

There was quite a good episode of "_____'s Tough Gig" a while back when Dara O'Briain hung about with LARPers for the weekend, then had to do a gig for them.
Just thought I'd bring that up. I'm sure it's on youtube somewhere.