Poll: Left 4 Dead, PC or Console?

conceptual

Sep 24, 2008
To start, I just want to say the L4D would run about the same on both my 360 and my pc (pobably a little better on pc)

I will be getting L4D on the 360 solely because of xbl. Almost everyone will have a mic, and I'll have an extensive friends list to go off of. I would play a LOT more pc/wii games if they had an online system like xbl.

Tjebbe

Jul 2, 2008
conceptual said:
solely because of xbl. Almost everyone will have a mic, and I'll have an extensive friends list to go off of. I would play a LOT more pc/wii games if they had an online system like xbl.
(getting offtopic here, anyhew..)

Yes indeed, XBL is great, Microsoft actually did something extremely right there. Whenever I have to choose between any platform, and the 360 is among them, I go for that one, mostly because of Live.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Oh my God, this is the best news I've heard all week (though, it's only monday). I'm so sick of auto-matchmaking putting me in servers that make my internet cry. This usually only happens in Versus mode, since there can be 8 people from all over the world.

eh....

/openserverbrowser ...?

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
The link he responded to made it sound like L4D did not (does not yet) have a server browser for some reason that makes no real sense.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
Richard Groovy Pants said:
shadow skill said:
The link he responded to made it sound like L4D did not (does not yet) have a server browser for some reason that makes no real sense.
Valve thought that putting a retarded console like match making system would be a good idea, well they were wrong. It may fit the consoles but it doesn't fit the PC.
It does not fit for consoles either trust me. Its one of the lamest things ever. I wish that R2 let you manually search for ranked matches online it only lets you browse for rooms on unranked matches which while logical still kind of sucks.

I would love to know what Valve was smoking when they thought matchmaking only was a good idea. Thing like this should never be left solely to a computer algorithm they almost always fail miserably at the task.

Sephantis

Dec 3, 2008
i got it on the console for many reasons. first, split-screen now i know most people dont like it but me(who has a 360) and my friends(who dont) love playing games online together. second, controls on the PC are more accurate but i cant stand switching items with the scroll bar it just pisses me off being able to press a button to get the item i want just feels better to me. Finally, i have 3 years on my live account so i dont have the problem of pricey online

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
shadow skill said:
shadow skill said:
Valve thought that putting a retarded console like match making system would be a good idea, well they were wrong. It may fit the consoles but it doesn't fit the PC.
It does not fit for consoles either trust me. Its one of the lamest things ever. I wish that R2 let you manually search for ranked matches online it only lets you browse for rooms on unranked matches which while logical still kind of sucks.

I would love to know what Valve was smoking when they thought matchmaking only was a good idea. Thing like this should never be left solely to a computer algorithm they almost always fail miserably at the task.
Well maybe since they knew they were doing a version for the Xbox as well they decided to put only one version of match making in name of easiness. Then the complaints came and they had to change it :p. Seriously though, browsing for a dedicated server is awesome.
I could have told them of the complaints they would get before they released the game and the only PC game I ever wanted to play online at all was HL 1 back when I was on dial up! The only server selector I can even remember clearly was the one for Quake 4 which I used exactly once.

I'm far from well versed and I know matchmaking is bull. Bad Valve, very bad.

Sephantis

Dec 3, 2008
you didnt get what i was saying did you? it doesnt really matter my hands dont move fast enough to press those keys in the heat of a rush. now dont get me wrong i love playing games on the PC and ive got TF2 on the pc but i still think this game plays better for me on the console

Oct 9, 2008
Well, apart from the obvious problems with the Server Connection on the PC, I feel that its far more enjoyable, as having palyed both I like the PC version more better for the simple fact:

I can't play FPS on consoles

/qq
Though they are both equal

Bajablo

Aug 27, 2008
Yeah, the trend about making PC gaming 'stupid' too is a bit sad. Like the idea about the game browser (finally.. choose the server with low ping instead of the game guessing). Am ofcourse a PC gamer since i complain about the console crap trying to get into the good games :p

to the "6 of those games aren't even exlusive..." PC gamers dont care. we just like good games (that dosn't get dumbed down and lets us choose... like it used to be be4 this windows live xbox360 crap)

So basicly i think im back to hating microsoft again?

but back to topic (kinda), yeah.. hands down PC all the way (The only FPS game that works on console imo. is Halo.. its a pretty good game even.)
Controls: If you grew up with the gamepad and never used the better counterpart (mouse+keyboard) you feel the controls are forced, and like the one you are used to better.

rant=0

// Bajablo
PC gamer since 1994

ihategravity

Jan 11, 2009
I would have to disagree. Steam is the reason i left the computer for the (se)xbox360, it lagged my whole system and caused "unexpected shutdowns" most of the time.

Although that may of just been a combernation of vista and steam.

TheHorizon

Dec 17, 2008
All "PC controls are better" aside, please note the following: PC players on Left 4 Dead are HUGE assholes.

If you go to the SteamPowered forums you'll see people complaining about team killing, random votekicking, and more. On the XBL this is non-existant.

Mindex

Oct 26, 2008
one of the reasons i prefer the Console is because, pretty much my PC sucks. I cant deny that the ability to map controls to PC Games makes sense, but in my point of view, i feel that console controls are much more fluid because im not scrambling around my keyboard hitting buttons or constantly making room for my mouse.