Poll: Legacy of Kain: Best place for a new-comer to start?

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
So, after hearing a lot of praise for the Legacy of Kain series over the years (both from these forums, and elsewhere), I have finally decided to check out something that I might be missing. BUT, at 5 games, the Legacy of Kain series is a fairly lengthy one, so I am unsure where to start. What is the best game to start with?

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
Soul Reaver IMO. But I'm a big fan of Raziel as a character, so my opinion is best taken with a grain of salt.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Elcarsh said:
Start with Soul Reaver and go from there. It's even on GOG, so you might just get the damn thing working on a modern computer!

Just don't forget to skip Blood Omen 2, which is absolute shit and has no place in the story whatsoever.

After you've finished the Soul Reaver games and Defiance, you can go back to Blood Omen to make it all make a little bit more sense.
Okay, I was heavily considering starting with Soul Reaver. But, IMO, action/adventure games from that era tend not to have aged well (or play well on computers). How does Soul Reaver fair?

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
soul reaver 1. good story, best gameplay/mechanics of the series. you have to think about how to beat enemies as they are all immortal vampires that can only be killed in a specific fashion (impalement, fire, water, sunlight). later on in the series you can kill anything with your bare hands, loses a lot of the flavor.

The Legacy of Kain series is a bit of an oddball. the gameplay gets worse as the series progresses, but the story/dialogue gets better as the series progresses (which is kinda the opposite of what happens in the game industry)

oh, and soul reaver 1 has an excelent intro.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Well, technically, if you don't play BO first, you won't get the full experience out of it when you do it later. But then again, BO is rather old and nobody would blame you if you skip it. And it's no real secret what's going on with the plot, so it's OK to pass, I suppose. As suggested, go for SR1 - it's on GOG and it's rather good, IMO. SR2 and Defiance, should follow.

Ignore BO2. If you really want to, read about it's plot, it's not worth playing through it. And speaking of that, I want to suggest LOKFanatic's plot guide [http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/914777-legacy-of-kain-defiance/faqs/25247] which does an excellent job in retelling the core of the story without. As a bonus, you can read BO1 there as well.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
Blood Omen has some cool features, but overall it's a deeply flawed game, and I never got on with it. The loading times were absolutely terrible, and would put massive breaks in the gameplay over something as simple as changing a weapon. Add to that certain sections that required you to swap weapons multiple times in succession in order to pass various obstacles and you've got an infuriating experience for the most part. I wouldn't wish it on anybody. But that said it's got a great style about it, and you might want to force yourself through it as some sort of academic exercise I guess.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
If you are playin for the story you might aswell start from the beginning. BO2 I havent played but I hear its not important for understanding Soul Reaver's Story as BO1 is.

If you like the oldschool 2D legend of Zelda gameplay then start with Blood Omen.

IIRC Blood Omen PC doesnt work on new PCs (unless its on GOG) you'll have to play the PS1 version (which does emulate but does have a slight glitch on the heathbar graphic, its not that important as you can still make out how much health you have most of the time.

Both Blood Omen 1 and Soul Reaver 1 are the best of the bunch in gameplay terms.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
I started with Blood Omen and I would recommend doing the same it sets up the rest of the series even if it is largely circular in nature. For me Blood Omen is still the best game in the series but even if you end up hating it theres no problem because it is now freeware so you have nothing to lose.

Soul Reaver was fun for a while but the constant block puzzles wore me down especially when they put in block puzzles where you had to fight infinitely respawning enemies at the same time but if you arent going to start with blood omen soul reaver would be the next best bet.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Yeah like a few others have said, if you want to get the full experience and handle on the world Play Blood Omen. But if you are just looking for a easy spot to get in yeah Soul Reaver is the most accessible.

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
I started with the original Soul Reaver and fell in love with the series, I went through them out of order and I still had a well enough time understanding what was going on.

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
i'd say Soul Reaver is easier to get into than any other so start there. Plus it's just plain awesome. still my favorite of the series. Blood Omen 1 is pretty cool if your into 2d adventures. i like the magic you get in that game more than Kain's magic in BO2. BO2 is an okay game but it's probably the weakest game in the series.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
BreakfastMan said:
So, after hearing a lot of praise for the Legacy of Kain series over the years (both from these forums, and elsewhere), I have finally decided to check out something that I might be missing. BUT, at 5 games, the Legacy of Kain series is a fairly lengthy one, so I am unsure where to start. What is the best game to start with?
Soul Reaver, because the voice acting and dialogue is great.

targren

May 13, 2009
Blood Omen, while a great game, doesn't exactly mesh with the rest of the series. I think the actual story starts with Soul Reaver, taking events from the first game to establish a continuity. Consider, for example, how a certain item, which is little more than a health potion (or one of Link's faeries in a bottle) in Blood Omen becomes a central Macguffin in SR2 and Defiance. Once you know what the Pillars are all about and what happens in the last 10% of the game, you know all you need to get the rest of the story out of the series.

Still, for an over-head Zelda-style slasher, I've played few games better than Blood Omen, so it does have that going for it.

Blood Omen 2, OTOH, is an abomination upon man, vampire, and god, alike.

Post Tenebrae Morte

Jun 6, 2011
Start with blood omen.
In the end, kain is the central item of the entire series, hence its name.
It also sets up who the hyeldan are, what happened to the circle, and how kain rose to power.

Also, while blood omen 2 is e weakest of the series, it is still quite good.
The story, despite other claims, shows what happens to the timeline due to kain and raziel messing with the fates. What happens to Janos, why kain didn't have other generals, etc. the only hole left open is the fact that vorador still lives, but that can be attributed to him living and not dying contrary to what originally occurred in blood omen 1.

Play all of them. Their stories are, to me, the best that video gaming has to offer. Mature, dark fantasy that isn't afraid to pull its punches.
Others have compared it to Zelda, saying it was a darker, bloodier version of it, so there's that as well.

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
Slamming Blood Omen 2 is fandom syndrome. When they tell you it's terrible it's simply because there's something it does as part of their beloved series that they don't like.

The gameplay for Blood Omen 2 is fairly mediocre (especially by the standards of today) and the story is quite straight-forward; (though it gives good coverage to, and fleshes out, a key story element) though I strongly recommend it as a means to get to grips with Kain's character, and appreciate the unique charisma of that unphasable ambition and pride that no other character in popular media matches up to. Any moral self-doubt is quickly put behind him on his inexorable march toward his goal. Kain wants to conquer the world, and nothing will stop him.

I recommend starting with Soul Reaver 2 (which is my favourite of the series). This is because the manual comes with a story segment that backgrounds the history of the world and the series up to that point with detail and a degree of (delightful) romanticization; while trimming out the fat. (most of that coming from the Blood Omen 1 plot)

I think most suggest Soul Reaver 1 because they experienced it first. In my case, I started the series at 2 then went back to 1 afterwards to see the epic things I read about, and found it somewhat disappointing. In my opinion it is much better to read about them in the SR2 archive and enrich the scenes with your imagination than to see them realized in an archaic PS1 game.

Gameplay-wise, SR1 plays very much like (a clunky) SR2 only with blander landscapes, and is more taxing by way of it's opaqueness; as it's an open world with puzzle-based obstacles cleared only by gradually obtained abilities and gives virtually zero guidance on where you should be going or what you should be doing.

Story-wise, SR1 has simplistic cutscenes with a relatively small amount of semi-cryptic dialogue, and then it's back to the gameplay where you'll be figuring out where to go next.

Soul Reaver 2 follows on the PS2, with better and longer cutscenes and dialogue that is easier to follow (but by no means dumbed-down). From SR2 onwards, the characters narrate their adventures more frequently and it helps give more insight into the characters, the plot, and their thoughts as things unfold. The story of Soul Reaver 2 has several turns and twists and Raziel sees more development than in any other game in the series.

The series story archive in the Soul Reaver 2 manual is essential reading (do not skip if you are beginning with SR2). It can also be found and read in the game's bonus content if memory serves correctly, along with the option of watching the opening FMV of Soul Reaver 1. I do not suggest trying to play this game without the help of a manual to go over how the game works, however. There is a main menu cheat code to unlock all of the bonus content for Soul Reaver 2. You should read the story archive and then watch the Soul Reaver 1 opening FMV (which is the best part of Soul Reaver 1) before starting up the game with Soul Reaver 2's equally cool opening FMV.

To give something of a taster/vague overview of what to expect from the stories in the games:

Blood Omen 1 is Kain's initial story and quest. A chain of events leads toward the fate of the world "Nosgoth" hanging in the balance. The old order of Nosgoth is eradicated, and Kain is all that is left standing at this dark hour. Most of the the story and lore from the series is derived from what happens in this game. Read a decently detailed plot guide at least if you don't plan to play the game.

Soul Reaver 1 introduces Raziel. Kain has conquered the world; not without sealing its eternal corruption, of course. The very throne he sits upon is the ruined symbol of Nosgoth's betrayed health. After more than a thousand years, he rules as the undisputed emperor of a wasteland. The plot, while suitably epic, is relatively straight-forward. Having indirectly offended Kain's ego; Raziel, Kain's vampire son, is executed at Kain's command by his own brothers in a heavy-handedly torturous way. Resurrected as a new indestructible and multi-dimensional being by the Elder god of Nosgoth; he's sent out on a mission to kill Kain and his vampiric empire.

Soul Reaver 2 begins as Kain travels into Nosgoth's past, with Raziel in pursuit. Before long, Kain makes a case to Raziel that he had been set-up in a conspiracy to corrupt the world; and that he has returned in effort to find a way to prevent Nosgoth's doomed future. As the story unfolds, Raziel begins to wonder if his quest to kill Kain isn't really as straight-forward as he'd like it to be.

Blood Omen 2. Something of a side story. It covers Kain's quest for world domination not long after the doomsday scenario of Blood Omen 1, in an adjusted timeline. Kain's mighty vampire army suffers a shock defeat to the human's anti-vampire army when a new leader of theirs defeats Kain in battle and takes Kain's all-powerful prized sword the Soul Reaver as his own. Kain awakens 200 years later, thirsty for a rematch over who will ultimately rule Nosgoth.

Defiance picks up where Soul Reaver 2 left off. You switch between Kain and Raziel. In this closing adventure, each character is challenged with the question of whether their attempts to alter the course of history and the grim fates each are faced with, hold any hope. Kain, the bastion of heritage and destiny; and Raziel, the bastion of free-will; are also confronted with fore-tellings of a battle to the death over the fate of Nosgoth.

IMO, Blood Omen 1 and Soul Reaver 1 are stories in which stuff simply happens (interesting stuff, don't get me wrong) and build up to Nosgoth's dystopic wasteland. The SR2 summary is an effective substitute for these experiences IMO.

Soul Reaver 2 onwards chronical the attempts in Nosgoth's past to screw with the timeline in order to prevent the future seen in Soul Reaver. The narrative expands, and Soul Reaver 2 and Blood Omen 2 cover the characterization of Raziel and Kain respectively; while Defiance wraps up the story.

This is my take. I hope you find it useful.