Poll: Lets pretend the government passes a law stating that you can't have a gun anymore...

Fuzzed

Dec 27, 2012
bananafishtoday said:
OT: I'm not a gun owner, but I'd buy one and hide if if this actually happened. The govt banning all guns would be a really big sign that Bad Things are on the horizon. But, as others have said, it's a pretty fantastical scenario.

Fuzzed said:
No guns to turn in over here. And I highly doubt anyone would start a friggin revolution if the government did take such measures. I mean, I love skateboarding. But if the government decided to ban those pieces of wood because they thought skateboards turned people into hooligans who beat up grandparents, I'm not all of a sudden going to turn Che on everybody's ass just to keep my skateboard. Heck, if it led to less grandparents getting the crap beat out of them then I'd feel like I did the right thing.
This isn't a good analogy. Many in the pro-gun crowd feel that an armed citizenry is a hedge against tyranny, especially since many of the Founding Fathers held the same belief. A blanket ban on all guns, in their minds, would enable the government to move toward dictatorship unopposed. And that kind of ban is so contrary to the Constitution that there's no reason to believe those in charge wouldn't be pursuing this end.

In practice, I dunno if I buy that the general population could win a fight against the military/police if the latter groups threw their lots in with the dictator-to-be. But in theory, it makes sense.

But yeah, not the same thing.
Well, I thought it was a pretty sweet analogy. Lot of depth to it, like the Atlantic Ocean. But ya...On to your point. Tyranny. Got to hate it. Good thing we got all those Americans, who by virtue of owning a gun(s), are preventing some epic black Tyranny plague from occurring...

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
do we NEED them? no. i'd give em up. (please note, i do not actually own any guns, this is hypothetical)

I can't believe any body would answer "kill them", that's obvious trolling right there, or the sign of a complete lunatic.

bleys2487

Oct 28, 2010
I'd probably leave the country. They take one right away, they'll take another. I've never misused my fire arms. I'm not going to be punished because a couple of idiots decided being trigger happy. I'm not going to let some law breaker lead to my rights being taken away. I guess being fluent in three different languages is a good thing these days.

One bullet at a time, baby. Don't like it? Leave me alone. Especially if you're not from America. The loudest opinions here are from people who aren't even from the country/have never been there. Ever been raped? Ever had a gun held up to your face? Ever been beaten? I'm doubtful. The law didn't help me at all. I'm not about to ever let that happen again.

wottabout

May 4, 2011
I guess we would give up our guns. It would be kind of weird, since I live in an area where hunting is a really big deal. In school, we always got a long Thanksgiving break so that it would coincide with the beginning of deer season. They tried shortening it one year but so many of the teachers, bus drivers, and students said they would take the week off anyway that they changed it to normal. I doubt people in my area would let the government take their guns.

TheLastFeeder

Oct 29, 2012
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

yes this sounds outdated.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Bah, guns are underpowered....now Electric Knuckles.....

EDIT: Or I could just buy a Saints Row 3 dildo bat and beat intruders into submission whilst pissing my pants laughing.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
I don't have a gun, I don't need one, but if I did need one I would purchase one, and if someone tried to take said purchased weapon I would hide it.

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
Well considering that would require a constitutional amendment to cancel out the second amendment, or a supreme court ruling that would have to overturn previous supreme court rulings (from like two years ago) I would hand my gun over due to pure astonishment that the government actually is functioning so quickly and efficiently

Jun 26, 2010
I get this great sense of egocentrism from people who claim they need guns or else the evil foreigners will invade, they'll be mugged because there's no other alternative to preventing crime than carrying a deadly firearm 24/7, or the big bad government will try to take-over.
This isn't the 1700s. You're not rebel colonials bravely fending off those who would make your life slightly uncomfortable.
Romanticizing about a civil war which is very unlikely to happen isn't exactly healthy, especially if you're a gun fanatic. It only prove the need to take your guns away, as you're clearly up for internal fighting.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
We've done it once and we'll do it again.

Flag from Gonzales flown during the first skirmish of the Texas Revolution, after a Mexican army Col. attempted to disarm the town.

I moved to a state that's actually interested in protecting her citizen's rights. Let the Federal government pass something like this, and watch the shitstorm that develops. Several states already have bills in state legislature that would prevent federal seizure or registration of private citizens' firearms in their state, making gun bans unenforceable, some going as far as making it a state crime and threatening arrest of federal officers in violation.

Just like the federal war on drugs that several states have already passed laws in opposition to, this is the next state vs. federal battle.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Zhukov said:
I would continue living my gun-free life.

This actually already happened here in Australia. We had one of those massacres go down in a place called Port Arthur, not far from where I live. About 35 people dead if memory serves. Within a couple of week they passed a law banning private ownership of automatic and semi-automatic weapons and tightened controls. There were large scale buy-back schemes and voluntary hand-ins.

Gun crime went way down and we haven't had another massacre since.

Funny, that.
I don't think you understand this. NRA (who got no interest in guns and are not biased at all) says that gun violence increases when guns are banned. Clearly there must have been more massacres after you banned guns in Australia.

OK, serious now. Getting a gun here is quite difficult, you have to have a hunting permit or be a member in a club. We have had one massacre and the violent gang riots we have had most recently have been fought with broken bottles. I think one massacre since World War 2 is quite acceptable. I wouldn't mind gun laws getting even stricter.

Thanatos5150

Apr 20, 2009
If I owned one? I'd turn it over the moment a government agent showed up at my door with valid identification.

And then proceed living in fear of the asshole who didn't.

As it is now, with my "I don't own a gun, but would if I could afford it, the ammunition and the practice at the range"?
Live in fear of the assholes who didn't turn their gun over.

Yes, I back the "If guns are illegal, then only criminals will have guns" and "Gun free zone? Perfect place to conduct my rampage" rhetoric. I'm also of the opinion that gun control means "Both hands to steady the weapon", but really? I'm not up in arms (heh) about the "debate".

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011
You know I sort of wonder. How did the people who are planning on starting a shootout get a gun? Because this enemy that you built in your mind are other citizens. Other Americans.

The fact that so many are quite willing to kill others doesn't help the image of gun owners being completely nuts. The construction of "Citadel" doesn't help either. (Apologies to those who would not shoot a police officer).

Fuck it. This is all crazy.

I'll echo what others say. It's probably never going to happen.

tangoprime said:
I don't think you should be proud of the last few bits.

I was going to do a whole rant on the Mexican Revolution, the worship of misremembered events, the role of American Immigration, Slavery, how simplistic your view is and the whole context of the relationship between Mexico and the U.S, but it wouldn't even make a dent in the attitude would it?

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
I would turn over my guns. I like my guns, but I don't need them. I don't even own them for a practical purpose like hunting or self defense. They are purely range weapons for me.

However, I would demand full compensation. Guns are expensive.

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
Well, it would depend I guess. If for some reason I happened to be in possession of assault rifles and automatic/semi-automatic weaponry, and the gun control called for you to give up those kinds of weapons, then I probably would just give them up.

On the other hand, if they were trying to take away any and all weaponry including hand guns, then no chance of me giving them up. I'd let em have the big weapons, but I'd hide all my hand guns and hope they don't find them.

That being said, I do not own any guns and have no particular plans to come into possession of any sort of firearm in the future so this doesn't really affect me that much.

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
I don't live in 'Merica so I think the phrase, "Mean while in England..." followed by "...fuck all happened." would be appropriate for the situation.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
I don't think any laws will stop you owning guns you already have, only stop you buying new ones if they're too overkill. However in this hypothetical situation, I would give up my guns unless I had an unstateable reason to keep them. I am not above the law and I dislike people who think they are.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
The government can't take away THESE guns!

*Flexes*

OH YEAH!

OT: A mass proletariat uprising is what will happen, if I were to hazard a guess

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
This reminds of the time I was hanging out with Samuel L. Jackson and this guy Marvin (may he rest in peace) in Sam's car. We was talkin' 'bout gun control and, I had my gun out at the time, we all thought it was a good idea. We were all gonna hand our guns it, give 'em to Marvin cuz he "knew a guy". Anyway long story short; I shot Marvin in the face...

OT: Well I'm British (WOO! FREEDOM!!!) so if I owned a gun and wasn't a farmer I'd be... In trouble...