Poll: LoL? Better than DOTA?

Guttural Engagement

Feb 17, 2010
Hey everyone - I've recently been playing LoL (Leage of Legends); and I was wondering if anyone else thought that it was better than the original Warcraft III DOTA?

I myself suck hardcore at the Warcraft III DOTA - but I'm relatively good at LoL (I like its style better too.)

So, what are your thoughts on this?

(Woot, 50th Post)

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
1. No celebrating till you hit 1000 posts.
2. I hated DOTA(Because, like you , I sucked at it)
3. Company of Heroes and the Total War series are the only RTS' to date that I've ever enjoyed playing fully.
4. This seems suspiciously like a vs thread. Hmm......

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Never played, only heard of, you should mention it's free in the OP.

Downloading now, I never played Warcraft III (when I was young) because growing up I was an FPS enthusiast with Enemy Territory/Quake 3.

Still haven't played DOTA...

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I have never played either DoTA or LoL. So I chose the Waffles option, because wafles are always good :D.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Wtf is LoL? HoN (Heroes of NewEarth) beats dota but I've never heard of a game called LoL

Umberphoenix

Jun 17, 2009
LOL

That's what I was thinking of when I came into this thread. I thought it was going to be a Basshunter thing.

Anyways, I don't like either game.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
I liked DotA, but I really dislike the community. They aren't noob friendly in the slightest. If LoL has a better community, I may contemplate thinking about playing it.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Tubez said:
Wtf is LoL? HoN (Heroes of NewEarth) beats dota but I've never heard of a game called LoL
I've never even played the game, and I can tell you that you've got the title wrong. Heroes of Newerth

Wardnath

Dec 27, 2009
Why'd the OP have to reference that terrible, terrible slam death band?

OT: I've played neither online, so I wouldn't have a clue.

Jan 23, 2009
reg42 said:
I liked DotA, but I really dislike the community. They aren't noob friendly in the slightest. If LoL has a better community, I may contemplate thinking about playing it.
The original DOTA was cool, but everyone who played it were assholes. There was a culture of asshole-ness. Where a new players wasn't allowed to join. Seriously, if you picked the wrong starting character, or bought the wrong potion, the others in the game would instantly know you were a new player, and they would put you on a ban list.

I'm not joking.

Even if you were ok at the gametype, but you had a bad day? BAN

Oh sorry, joined the lobby, but need to download the map? BAN & KICK

Quit in the middle of a match, or disconnect for any reason BAN

When they released the standalone version (HoN) it wasn't as bad, but people were still assholes about it.

So League of Legends, or Demigod even.

Also.. yeh why isnt HoN or Demigod in the list of this genre, w/e you call this genre.

TriggerHappyAngel

Self-Important Angler Fish
Feb 17, 2010
both LoL and HoN are lame copies of DotA (so DotA > LoL and HoN)
Demigod on the other hand mixes some unique features with the classical DotA gameplay (so Demigod > Dota) :D

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Marq said:
Why play a knock-off of DotA when you could be playing DotA?
Because it is adirect descendant of DotA. By that I mean it was made by the same group of people as an improvement that contained more features than were possible on a WC3 map.

Somehow, I still prefer DotA, though. Maybe because it's simpler.

Guttural Engagement

Feb 17, 2010
Syon said:
Why'd the OP have to reference that terrible, terrible slam death band?

OT: I've played neither online, so I wouldn't have a clue.
I don't know what the heck your talking about; I had no refrences to any bands? And if you talking about my username; I've NEVER heard of a band called Guttural Engagement, but I have heard of one called Guttural Engorgement. And that's not where I got my idea for my name anyways.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
Lullabye said:
1. No celebrating till you hit 1000 posts.
2. I hated DOTA(Because, like you , I sucked at it)
3. Company of Heroes and the Total War series are the only RTS' to date that I've ever enjoyed playing fully.
4. This seems suspiciously like a vs thread. Hmm......

2. LoL is very noob friendly, matchmaking selects ALMOST always fair battles within your level/skill range, so it's easy for a new player to learn against equally skilled players.
3. It isn't an RTS... its a MOBA

Marq said:
Because it's an upgrade compared to DotA, with new and improved mechanics. Also matchmaking, friendslists, chat lists, ignore lists, aranged teams, arranged teams matchmaking, etc. etc. All the stuff you need for a community based game.

lucky_sharm

Aug 27, 2009
TriggerHappyAngel said:
both LoL and HoN are lame copies of DotA (so DotA > LoL and HoN)
Demigod on the other hand mixes some unique features with the classical DotA gameplay (so Demigod > Dota) :D
Someone never played League of Legends...

And someone also doesn't get the point of Heroes of Newearth, which was to do Dota justice and create a game that isn't limited by a restrictive Warcraft 3 engine.

Anyways, I don't really like either of those games. Partly because of the fucking torturous learning curve that those games have and mostly because the community in general is shit, mostly made up of uptight, self righteous 13 year olds that take the game way too seriously. Not to mention how horribly imbalanced that those games are because of the community. If you want such and such hero buffed or nerfed, spam topics on the official dota forum and the creator will eventually cave in to the floods of tears and anger from the masses.

Levitas1234

Oct 28, 2009
Marq said:
Because rather than playing a mod, you will be playing an actual game with an engine built for just one thing, dota esque gaming.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
I've been playing it all night morning and it's quite good.

Haven't lost yet, which is most likely why I like it so much.