Poll: Loud Typing

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
Im sitting in a computer lab at college right now and this guy next to me is typing the shit out of his computer. I mean he is typing as fast and hard as possible and I dont know if the computer gave his mom a virus but it doesnt deserve this bashing. Do you think loud typers are annoying?

torzath

Jun 29, 2010
Meh, it's a public place intended for typing, so I'll give him a pass here. It'd be different if was a guy on his laptop somewhere that's supposed to be quiet or your roommate at three in the morning or something.

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
I'm a very loud typer, and I annoy even myself with it sometimes. So even I'm going with yes :p

BlazeRaider

Dec 25, 2009
I find the sound of a keyboard relaxing, its like the rain only for nerds like me that hate the outside.

*pitter patter pitter patter*

:D

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
My roommate types loud, hard, and fast...at 3 AM in the morning. He actually tries to stay quiet in all other ways, leaves all lights off, etc, but his typing is annoying as fuck.

At least my laptop keyboard can't really be loud. It's just those desktop computers with the keyboards with the big fat keys that do that.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Did you create a thread to complain that someone is typing in a computer lab? I smile at this.

Also, does the lab have mechanical keyboards? That would certainly explain it.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
BlazeRaider said:
I find the sound of a keyboard relaxing, its like the rain only for nerds like me that hate the outside.

*pitter patter pitter patter*

:D
This, forever and ever. I just really like the sound, it's like therapy. <3

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Sometimes keyboards are loud. Especially cheap ones. Granted, with enough force even a quite one can make a hell of a racket but I'd imagine someone would have sore fingers after all that.

Imper1um

May 21, 2008
I'm a touch typer, which means I can't hit the buttons really hard. My hand hovers a mm from the key I'm pressing pretty much all the time. Some people can't even hear me typing when I do.

I really don't get how people can type so loud sometimes. Its like they install steel balls into their fingertips when they type. What is even worse is when you get some idiot chick that you go to customer service for with 2 inch nails, and is doing typing on it. Seriously, cut your nails. Your nails look like...really bad...anyways.

Also, I can barely hear them because I have headphones on with some music playing all the time, so it drowns out the sound.

dead.juice

Jul 1, 2011
I'd like to blame his keyboard, because someone typing loudly on purpose sounds stupid.
But I've seen people type like this intentionally. Maybe it makes them feel like a pro, which is ironic because typing hard doesn't make you type any faster or spell any better. Unless your a nerdy computer hacker in an action flick, in which case, how hard you type can greatly increase your chance of survival.
You should ask him if he's hacking John Mcclane into the bad guys base. If he looks at you funny, it's probably because he's not allowed to acknowledge classified information to civilians without a level 6 card.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
torzath said:
Meh, it's a public place intended for typing, so I'll give him a pass here. It'd be different if was a guy on his laptop somewhere that's supposed to be quiet or your roommate at three in the morning or something.
I roomed with a friend for a while. As he only has a desktop computer which is back at his house, I said he could use my laptop. He repaid this favor by using until three in the morning, typing loudly and laughing at things while I was trying to ignore the glow and trying to sleep. When you're trying to sleep, and everything's silent, the noise of typing gets in your head like nothing else...

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Yes they do. My dad always has to buy one of those expensive ones that click like the acient ones and it annoys the shit out of me. A while ago my computer died for a week so I was using an old one as a back up. Playing a game on that computer I annoyed myself, I'd just be walking around and all I hear was CLICK CLICK CLICK (and it has no speakers so I couldn't use music to cover it up).

If it's a silent one and people are typing really hard it doesn't bother me nearly as much, since even the angriest typer doesn't type as loud as that goddamn clicking.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
i have a $12 pos lit keyboard, it makes an enormous racket even if i try to be quiet with it, it has a hard 'clonk' when the keys click down, so it would be entirely hypocritical of me to comment on anyone else's typing habits.

it is however a really good value and decent performance keyboard, it's one of the older key sonic ones ( before they mass-produced crap )

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I've been told I type loudly. But, nah, if he's in a computer lab he's probably got more things on his mind than how loud he's typing.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
Well I guess I do, but when I'm in a library or wherever I tend to be listening to music, so I don't really notice. I myself am quite a loud typist as it is when using thin keyboards.