Poll: Mac versus PC: Let's be nice about it

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
EDIT: This is about which one you prefer, not which one is better!

Okay, so here I'm starting a thread to talk about why people like or dislike either Mac or PC. I'd like everyone to be fair, though. If you have a whole list of things bad about one, fine. post ONE good thing about it.

Side note: I have a Mac Mini that runs Windows on BootCamp, so I'm sort of in a neutral position here. I love my mac, but windows has the versatility that I need.

Here I'll weigh a few pros and cons myself:

Mac:
---Pros---

*Exceptional hardware
*Innovative design
*One foot ahead
(technologically)
*Aesthetics
*Master of nanotechnology
*Low virus charter
*Strong, outlasting shells

---Cons---
*Counter-intuitive OS
*Closed-source OS
*More expensive
*Expensive warranty

PC:
---Pros---

*(usually)Easier to customize
*More affordable
*Open-source
*Wide variety of applications
*Virtual monopoly on video games
*Constantly building upon itself
*Being the most popular, it can also
make things easier (a more pc-oriented
world)

---Cons---
*Viruses, viruses, viruses!
*Frequent errors and crashes
*Obnoxious security system (Windows 7)
*Vulnerable (non-isolated) core
files
*Comparatively fragile hardware
*Tendency to overheat

Now, I'd like to hear what everyone has to say. Oh, and none of that <Mac/PC> SUCKS BECAUSE I SAID SO!

Side Note: A lot of people get their impression of Macs from those crappy eMacs in public schools. Those suck, I agree. I want you to compare current-generation macs to current-generation PCs.

[sub]do they really need to make the captchas THAT illegible...?[/sub]

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
I use both Mac and PC. Yeah, both have their pros and cons (my Macbook is slow, my PC is currently suffering from a motherboard failure), but I don't really lean towards one or the other being better.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
I've grown up with Windows my entire life.
I spent my career taking classes and training with Windows.
I've been using Microsoft Office to write reports, create databases, and make presentations all of my schoolyears.

Windows is no better than Mac in my point of view, but I'm just more familiar with it.

Edit: I do prefer Self-Built Windows. But any build with it just feels more comfortable.

Zarmi

Jul 16, 2010
Well, I don't like throwing money out the window, so I'd never get a Mac, of any sort. I prefer my custom-PC with Windows 7, in all honesty. I miss XP, but no matter what, I will always take that, over a Mac. Also, if the Mac got exceptional hardware, how come my PC runs twice as fast as one, and costs the half of one? PC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mac.

fordneagles

Dec 22, 2010
Nice? NO! They're all rubbish, rawr! :p

Just kidding. I like both, my laptop is Mac and my desktop is PC. I like most of the features the Mac has, but my PC allows me to interact with others more (in terms of files types and that sort of thing) because more people (and universities) have Windows.

So I can't vote because there's no option for me :)

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Uh. This question is pointless unless you ask what you want to do with the bloody thing. Do you want to work? To you want to work whily moving? Want gaming? Want both?

Want to use a mac for gaming? Have fun. PC-Gaming already suffers from poor console-ports, not being able to play many games is certainly not a selling point for me.

If there was a objective way of deterimnate which product is best, then there wouldn't be two products.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
What's this about "exceptional hardware"?

Personally I just think Macs are stupidly over priced. That's all there is to it for me and all there needs to be.

Oh, that and the gaming thing.

Red Right Hand

Squatter
Feb 23, 2009
Macs are far too overpriced for their own worth. I mean, you can buy a far more powerful pc for similar money. Also, the customisation of pcs will mean that I will always go pc over mac.

Also, I despise Apple for all they stand for.

Black Prism Adel

Oct 13, 2009
i personally dont really care if it is mac or windows as long as it functions well enough for me to use and understand its all good by me!

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
Zarmi said:
Well, I don't like throwing money out the window, so I'd never get a Mac, of any sort. I prefer my custom-PC with Windows 7, in all honesty. I miss XP, but no matter what, I will always take that, over a Mac. Also, if the Mac got exceptional hardware, how come my PC runs twice as fast as one, and costs the half of one? PC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mac.
Yeah, Windows XP was definitely the best.

Well, I'd say that's just your subjective opinion. I have a mac right now that's the size of a lunchbox, and it runs faster than- and is better in every aspect than my previous computer, a PC with a tower the size of a small microwave oven.

And it was also about half the price of said microwave computer. I'm not arguing, but if we both have the same opinion of opposing sides I think it's safe to say they're about even, hmm?

Blitzwarp

Jan 11, 2011
I have a console for gaming and I only use my MacBook to do creative things (Pages, Photoshop, iMovie, etc.) so I find Mac OS 100% perfect for my needs. It's fast, intuitive, and not bogged down with all of the errors Windows has to contend with. (No, I'm not saying a Mac is 100% bug-free, but in my two years of Mac ownership my MB has not crashed once. Compare this to my old Windows laptop, which crashed nearly every day.)

Wintio

Jul 29, 2009
I've always had computers I've put together myself (with the help of my more technologically capable friends). The price is just so much better that way, and the customisability lets you spend the money on the parts that are important to you. I can't understand why anyone would go with a pre-made box, especially if you know someone who knows computers (or at least have access to a forum like this one >.>).

OS-wise I used apples back when I was at primary school since they were the school computers (long before they had the sexy image they have now), but my first home computer ran 3.1 and I just got used to it. From what I can see, compatability is becoming much less of an issue these days with Macs... but they just cost too much. Now if windows didn't still do their student deals on buying the OS it might be a different story...

New Vegas Samurai

Dec 12, 2010
Self building is fun,
I'm more of a windows guy myself so tend to enjoy the OS more than the mac (and I have owned a macbook)

I like the hardware on the Mac, but with PC always advancing itself, not to mention allowing things like multi-screen adaptability, I'd still stick with my self built windows PC...

'sides, trouble shooting is available now and that means all the crashes have solutions

Jester00

Sep 22, 2010
mac is way to expensive, that's why i'm using windows. oh and i'm a gamer, and mac sucks for gaming.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
Self-built with Windows 7. Although I had a friend pick out the hardware and build it, I'm retarded with computers...

I don't have anything against Mac or Linux or whatever, but I'm just way too familiar with Windows to change to anything else now.

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
Exterminas said:
Uh. This question is pointless unless you ask what you want to do with the bloody thing. Do you want to work? To you want to work whily moving? Want gaming? Want both?

Want to use a mac for gaming? Have fun. PC-Gaming already suffers from poor console-ports, not being able to play many games is certainly not a selling point for me.

If there was a objective way of deterimnate which product is best, then there wouldn't be two products.
Exterminas said:

That's exactly why I was weighing the pros and cons of both. I'm not asking which one is better, I'm asking which you prefer. As far as I'm concerned I see them as equals. I have a Mac that runs on Windows and it's a match made in heaven.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Faladorian said:
Yeah, Windows XP was definitely the best.

Well, I'd say that's just your subjective opinion. I have a mac right now that's the size of a lunchbox, and it runs faster than- and is better in every aspect than my previous computer, a PC with a tower the size of a small microwave oven.

And it was also about half the price of said microwave computer. I'm not arguing, but if we both have the same opinion of opposing sides I think it's safe to say they're about even, hmm?
In this case, this is an objective matter. A powerful, self-built PC will equal or outperform the most advanced Mac for half the price or so. Apple charges a premium for brand name, OS and their aesthetics.

@OP
I'm a Windows/PC guy through and through. I use Mac's at school and while they do the job well enough, they are far too constricted and "simplified" for me to really feel at ease with the interface. I will give Apple one thing, their design principles are outstanding and they make great monitors. Everything else...PC.