Poll: Male reproductive rights

wolas3214

Mar 30, 2011
It should be illegal for a woman to give birth to a child without a signed consent form from the biological father. When a man doesn't want a child, and the woman uses her religion as an excuse to not get an abortion (or any other reason) children are born without a loving home with two financially stable parents. This behavior has created endless problems in our society. I would posit that having children, like having sex, should be a decision reached mutually, and not forced upon a party by one overbearing, overzealous individual. Some feminists have suggested 'sexual consent forms'. Why are there two different standards for getting consent for the sexual act, and the birthing act? Contrary to what Christians would have you believe, people have sex for pleasure, and only rarely set out with the intention of creating a child. Children are most often an accidental byproduct of the act. Women should not have a monopoly on reproductive rights.

If a man doesn't want a child, he should be able to have control over what happens to his genetic material, in the same way that women have control over who has sex with them. Women are allowed to get abortions, even if the father wants to have the child. Another double-standard. A simple consent form accompanied with genetic samples can be used to ascertain the validity of a birth. If a woman wants to give birth, she'd better have a consent form from the father, as well as a signed contract specifying the terms of the relationship with the father, preferably with indication the pair will remain a couple indefinitely so that the child may have both a mother and a father, provided that both parties agree to those terms

not to mention that Marriage contracts have become legally meaningless as there are no longer any courts which uphold them. This also needs to change, but the word marriage needs to cease to be used, because of its religious overtones. Contracts imply that a promise must be made, and a promise must be kept. That people honor all of their contracts is an essential part of any society, whether it's a marriage contract, or a contract for the exchange of goods or services.

Whenever there's a single mother, they have always blamed the father, while assigning no blame whatsoever to the mother, whom refuses to get an abortion even when it's legal and free to do so. The mother is applauded for her bravery and allowed to repeat this atrocious behavior in order to get a meal ticket. When the child stops being cute, the young mother puts the child up for adoption (or worse, neglects the child while retaining custody), creating a burden on society.

Is this change to our society really too much to ask?

Whats your opinion?

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
If a man doesn't want a child, he should be able to have control over what happens to his genetic material
He kind of does. He just has to avoid putting his dick in things with receptive ovums.

Seriously, guys, if you think this is a big problem, put some sperm on ice and get yourself a vasectomy. This may sound blunt, but you really do ultimately have control over your own sperm. Unrealistic? Maybe. But so is the idea that you are going to be running around forcing women to abort because you got too drunk to put on a condom.

Edit

it's legal and free to do so
Wait? What? When did this become free now? You've been watching too much Fox news.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
While I agree that men basically get screwed when it comes to things like this... no. Good God no.

meganmeave said:
If a man doesn't want a child, he should be able to have control over what happens to his genetic material
He kind of does. He just has to avoid putting his dick in things with receptive ovums.

Seriously, guys, if you think this is a big problem, put some sperm on ice and get yourself a vasectomy. This may sound blunt, but you really do ultimately have control over your own sperm. Unrealistic? Maybe. But so is the idea that you are going to be running around forcing women to abort because you got too drunk to put on a condom.
This is basically the answer. If you don't want to have to pay child support for an unwanted pregnancy, or don;t want your kid scooped out by a doctor, where a spermicidal condom. or, you know, pick what you hump more carefully.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Well I dont think the majority or children are born out of a mistake I also think if the woman wants to keep the baby and the man doesn't than the man can walk away and it goes backwards too the only thing is women have to give birth to the baby so ya I think they deserve a litte bit more say its only fair

I think alot of this comes down to the fact that if people were a litte more responsable it wouldn't be such a issue.

If you don't want a kid take lots of procautions and you have to relize yes you are infact taking that risk and are taking reasponsability for and negative kickbacks that come with it

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Sober Thal said:
I read the first two sentences...

A man makes that choice when he has unprotected sex.

Don't want a kid? Keep it in your pants.
And if a woman doesn't want a child, she should take a course of pills and have her brain ****ed out by whoever?
*Edit* Sorry, left a bit out. A woman only claiming to be on the pill is not unheard of. While you may be talking about one-nighters, the problem is that a married woman can force the conception, without consent from the male.

I'd support this. Right now, everything can and is blamed on the man.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
What fairy-tale land do you live in where sex (that results in pregnancy or not) is always mutually consented upon? So, your idea somewhat fails there.

Additionally, the procedure you are talking about can have serious adverse effects on the woman's health and ability to bear children in the future - and forcing such a thing on anyone is uncalled for without a much more compelling reason than "the guy doesn't want the child."

As MeganMeave said, you actually do have control of the "before" and now you want control over the "after" as well?

Also - generalities, bad for your argument. Not ALL single mothers blame the father; not EVERYONE holds a single mother blameless (and "single mothers" can be a result of a failed marriage where children were welcome in addition to being women who bear children out of wedlock, anyway).

So, in short, no.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
meganmeave said:

Their is also the issue of condoms breaking. And their are crazy women out there who have practically raped men over an obsession to get impregnated, or purposefully break condoms without their partner knowing.

Is it still unrealistic to expect someone to get an abortion if they impregnated themselves forcefully or without the partners consent?

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
I can see where you're coming from, but put that into practice and you'd end up forcing women to have abortions. Ehh...no.

Still, at the very least I'd say if a woman wants to keep a pregnancy when there were no plans to have a child and the man was led to believe they were just in it for pleasure, he shouldn't be stigmatized for walking away if she won't get an abortion.

wolas3214

Mar 30, 2011
To the vasectomy crowd; So I should have to mutilate my body because a woman is too untrustworthy to use her birth control? That would be a violation of my civil rights.

To the condom crowd; they can break people. it happens.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Sober Thal said:
I read the first two sentences...

A man makes that choice when he has unprotected sex.
Just the important bit, I don't have too much time.

But contraception fails or can be sabotaged. Its actually not uncommon, right now I see where the OP is coming from as honestly, society completely blames the man, still.

Doesn't mean I agree, but something needs to change.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
As a guy, I have the right not to bust a nut where my swimmers can get to an egg waiting to be fertilised. After I waive that right, all bets are off. A reasonable person accepts this.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
wolas3214 said:
Women are allowed to get abortions, even if the father wants to have the child. Another double-standard.
What the fuck? How is that a double standard? Fathers don't have to endure 9 months of pregnancy plus childbirth.

wolas3214

Mar 30, 2011
dyre said:
wolas3214 said:
Women are allowed to get abortions, even if the father wants to have the child. Another double-standard.
What the fuck? How is that a double standard? Fathers don't have to endure 9 months of pregnancy plus childbirth.
She brought it upon herself if she didnt abort it or use her pill. If she WANTS to keep it then by all means just dont force the father to be invovled if he doesnt want to.

InfiniteSingularity

Apr 9, 2010
Um....right. So the man gets the final say? Wheres the balance of power, and why doesn't the woman get a say in this? Honestly, I don't think anyone has the right to tell any woman what to do with her unborn child, and it is entirely her choice. If you didn't want a child why did you have sex in the first place? You don't like it? Deal with it. It is morally wrong to take control over another person's body. The last thing we need is another legal document regarding control over personal relationships.

NickCooley

Sep 19, 2009
I agree on the abortion thing, I don't think it's fair that a woman can just stroll out and get an abortion without the father agreeing or even knowing, it's HIS kid too after all. Everything else is a flat out no though, just wear a condom/protection.

And your view of single mothers is fucked. As in "probably needs to see a shrink about it" fucked.

EDIT: My abortion comment only really applies if the mother and father are in a relationship of some kind. If that's not the case then I don't see anything wrong with not informing the father.

William MacKay

Oct 26, 2010
they cant force women to have abortions, but a law that stops the man having to pay child support if the two parents arent in a relationship would be better.