Poll: Male reproductive rights

Blazing Bird

Sep 11, 2010
You know, at first I thought this was a discussion about implementing parenting licenses. THAT is a good idea.

Forcing women to comply with obscenely chauvinistic principals, no, not at all.

If you're too poor and too irresponsible to take care of what you willingly created, man up. Nothing is preventing you from putting the kid up for adoption. Forcing the woman involved to go under the knife because you feel insecure is garbage.

There is an exception to every rule, but this is just in poor taste. I might be a man myself, but no one tells me what I can and can't do with my genital organs, why should I tell a woman what she can do.

FuktLogik

Jan 6, 2010
I think we should implement a "one child per family" rule, or require parents to get legal permission to bring a child into this world. Unfortunately, this likely won't happen until we reach a global population of around 9 billion, because people are too fucking greedy and stupid to realize we can't maintain this level of consumption for much longer. Governments and corporations also maintain that we need to breed more because, with the current level of technology, population growth is needed to maintain our luxurious way of life.

When I hear that the birth rate is declining, I think "Good. It's about fucking time". This is a huge issue, and it's only going to get worse in the next decade unless some restrictions are put in place. I mean, for Christ's sake, since 1960 the population has gone up 4 billion, 4 fucking BILLION!

Nukey

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2009
They already have contracts like this, they're called confidentiality contracts. It doesn't work the way you stated, though, if the man gets the woman pregnant after she signed the contract, he isn't responsible for the child. If woman does want to get an abortion, she doesn't have to, but the man isn't forced into being a dad.

It's fair for everyone, I believe.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Shit, hit the wrong poll option. Oh well, such is life.

You can't do that. Ultimately it is the woman's right to decide what happens to the child that is growing inside of her. Personally if I knocked a girl up I would want plenty to do with the kid's life. Hell, if she wanted an abortion I'd beg and scream for the girl to carry the kid to term then let me adopt. But as I said, it's her choice. Getting off topic, now, I'll pull back.

And we need to get rid of marriage because of its religious connotations? SO religious people shouldn't be allowed to choose to get married because it's too religious?

I do agree that alimony and responsibility laws need to be changed, but this talk of contracts is infeasible, would be unpopular, and denies the woman rights of bodily integrity.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
LAst things we need is more law... You want control with genetic material? use a condom...

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Crono1973 said:
funguy2121 said:
This is a question for Dwangela.

Seriously, though, it's a ridiculous idea and will never happen in Western society. The man doesn't have to put his own health at risk and carry a human being inside of him for 9 months, and there are plenty of barren/gay parents out there who want to adopt a child. It's the woman's decision, case closed.
You know, one of the reasons that men die sooner is because they work more. So, all the extra hours he puts in to pay for a child he didn't want IS putting his health at risk.
Because raising a child isn't hard work? And you live in a society wherein women don't work, and work hard? Why do women have more medical problems per capita than us?

Also, men don't work hard for children they don't want. Deadbeat dads are deadbeat dads. And if an Escapist makes me invoke the law of identity one more time...

DevilWithaHalo

Mar 22, 2011
Yet one more example of how "equality" isn't really what people are fighting for... at least not in the camp that represents it officially. One should never base their arguments on gender bias, or you'll get 14 pages of rhetoric about what gender is worse/better of in any given context.

Should you force a woman to abort a child she chooses to carry? Probably not. Should you force a man to care for a child he never wished to have? Probably not. If you can't see the equivilence in those two situations then you're being biased.

You can't argue any amounts of emotional turmoil in either side, NOR can you argue the equivilence of time for either side as well. Every person handles loss and responsibility differently. 9 months and 18 years are two drastically different time frames.

Strip the genders from the equation and resolve the problem as if responsibility was assigned to either party as equally as plausible. Only then will you start to realize the inherent problems with the arguments being presented.

I like to feel like I'm fairly unbias in this case. I might be male, but I can't have kids by choice, so this argument means little to me personally. I just don't like seeing one side get screwed over by hypocricy.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
DevilWithaHalo said:
Yet one more example of how "equality" isn't really what people are fighting for... at least not in the camp that represents it officially. One should never base their arguments on gender bias, or you'll get 14 pages of rhetoric about what gender is worse/better of in any given context.

Should you force a woman to abort a child she chooses to carry? Probably not. Should you force a man to care for a child he never wished to have? Probably not. If you can't see the equivilence in those two situations then you're being biased.

You can't argue any amounts of emotional turmoil in either side, NOR can you argue the equivilence of time for either side as well. Every person handles loss and responsibility differently. 9 months and 18 years are two drastically different time frames.

Strip the genders from the equation and resolve the problem as if responsibility was assigned to either party as equally as plausible. Only then will you start to realize the inherent problems with the arguments being presented.

I like to feel like I'm fairly unbias in this case. I might be male, but I can't have kids by choice, so this argument means little to me personally. I just don't like seeing one side get screwed over by hypocricy.
Oh good, I'm not alone... Thank you for this.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
michiehoward said:
Ghengis John said:
Hope springs eternal man, hope springs eternal.

damnit double post lol
Double post?!? Well I'll just take it to mean I'm inspiring that much more hope!

In fact, it makes a profound statement about the nature of hope to spring eternally doesn't it?

Yeah the more I think about it the better it is as a double post!...

Xisin

Sep 1, 2009
wolas3214 said:
It should be illegal for a woman to give birth to a child without a signed consent form from the biological father.
So I have 3 examples, all of which I have seen happen:

1) A woman I know was dating a slightly older man. About a year and a half in she found out she was pregnant and was so happy. When she told her boyfriend, he told her to get it aborted...because he was married to another woman.

2) My sister was dating a man and despite being on the shot for of birth control, became pregnant. When she told her boyfriend, he beat her up and left her to stumble to her mother's house.

3) When I was in college, a women in the same dorm building as me was sadly raped. A child was conceived and she decided to keep it.

Yes, I'm sure they all need a signed consent form. These people are adults, putting a law on these things is silly. For example, if I don't want children I have the option of getting my tubes tied. But it should NOT also be legal to make my husband get the snip snip.

tycho0042

Jan 27, 2010
If a guy doesn't want to have a kid he should keep it in his pants and stop thinking with his plumbing. the idea of forcing one gender to havev limitations for breeding is preposterous. Honestly a statement like OP's just makes me think that his GF pulled something like that on him and now he's crying over it. Shouldn't have had the sex if he wasn't prepared for the consequences

hagar2

A RoMAN
Jul 24, 2010
your making it sound like you want the demolition man concept of having to get a license to get pregnant... from a doctor you dont know. (watch the movie if you actually care)

Naal

Feb 24, 2009
Worker: I feel like skipping work today, and I'm not even going to bother calling in with a fake sick note.
Boss: Really? You're fired.
Worker: Unfair! You can't fire me just because I want to skip work and go against the rules of my Job Agreement Contract.

If you don't want to pay the consequences, don't do the deed. If you skip work you run the risk of being fired; Having sex runs the chance of getting pregnant (along with other things).

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Crono1973 said:
Verlander said:
Gotta love a bunch of upset middle class white teenagers throwing their toys out of the pram because they are obviously discriminated against by everyone and everything. This idea is ridiculous and unreasonable, and no human should have a contract over another humans physical or psychological life. That's what we in the industry refer to as slavery.
So does your rule here apply to men and their court ordered labor as slavery?
What court ordered labour? If they don't like having kids, they can leave. Hell, my old man moved to the other side of the world, I've never had a penny from him.

Frankly, they have a responsibility, but they don't have to take it.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I get your point, and I agree that the male should have more of a say than he currently does, but you're going about this all wrong. If the male doesn't agree then what happens? The woman undergoes a forced abortion and is left with the physical and mental trauma afterwards?

There is honestly no solution except being careful and not getting someone pregnant when you aren't trying.

Tentickles

Oct 24, 2010
Okay. If a man ever gets the right to force me to have an abortion... I want the right to make him get a vasectomy.

but it will never happened because forcing a perfectly healthy woman to have an abortion just because the man doesnt want the child IS WRONG. Abortions are actually very dangerous procedures with side effects and the possibility of infection or even death.

and the most important thing... If the guy didnt want a child he should have worn a fucking condom.

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
There is one and ONLY ONE instance in which OP's argument is valid, and that is when the female in the relationship is batshit crazy to the point of piercing condoms and "forgetting" to take birth control for weeks at a time, or even purposefully misleading the male as to whether or not she is even ON birth control. This is a serious breech of trust with the potential to abridge a large part of the male's personal freedoms, and should be a criminal offense. However, such women will more than likely coerce, falsify, or otherwise illegitimately obtain the necessary documentation the OP is advocating, making such contracts utterly useless.