Poll: Meat causes cancer :O | What will you do? | Human Evolution vs. Contemporary Science?

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
Everything causes cancer. GMO vegetables are worse for us too, aren't they?
The rule of thumb with eating is; If you're going to starve to death, anything that you eat that will prevent you from starving to death is food that you can eat.
Meat might make me die from cancer but it'll stop me from dying like 30000 days in a row.

lSHaDoW-FoXl

Jul 17, 2008
Despite being a vegan I'm generally skeptical of these kind of claims that go either way. Meat is bad for you, meat is good for you. Whatever.In either case vegan's and vegetarian's could cite this study all we like to try and convince people that they should stop but ultimately we don't really need to. We're talking about a form of exploitation where the majority of the misery they're selling is factory farmed and processed.

Whether it contributes to cancer or not though as a whole this is something that there is simply no defense for. Yup, sorry guys. I'm going to that place the stereotypical vegan goes to. It contributes to pollution, global warming, obesity, and the suffering of countless animals and all so people can have some pointless indulgence. No matter how much you don't like these facts not wanting to hear it or trying to dismiss criticism by calling people "self-righteous extremists" isn't going to change that. When something is inherently bad it doesn't put you in the wrong to argue against it. Where would we be if self-righteous people who argued against slavery, dog-fighting, and basically any other form of cruelty never bothered just because they didn't want to be "that guy"?

Now, why don't we review the final thoughts of some folks here who found out that their food from an industry which pollutes, contributes to global warming, obesity, and kills billions of animals may also contribute to them getting cancer.

"Meat is delicious."

"The next time I eat a bacon cheeseburger I'll be sure to consciously enjoy it that much more."

"This is the only time I'm going to say this but F#%$ you science and F@#$ you WHO. I like meat so I am going to eat it."

"Meat might make me die from cancer but it'll stop me from dying like 30000 days in a row."

Review these comments and wonder no longer how our ancestors could have ever adopted something like slavery.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
There sadly is no science less scientific then food study, well apart from religious science.
I tried reading through that study but it's countless layers of wishy washy bullshit, or to be more direct they don't actually have a study it is all statistic correlation from countless sources. No one has proven any of the claims in a laboratory under controlled conditions, they are just guessing that it's meat that gave people cancer and somehow not the thousands of other substances they ingested every day.

This information butchering is exactly why you can't take a single damn sentence seriously, but the prefect way to sell headlines and new diets.

leberkaese

May 16, 2014
lSHaDoW-FoXl said:
Meat is a luxury article that contributes to pollution and animal abuse (greatly depending on the amount of cash you want to pay for your meat). Like so many luxury things it would be a lot better to completely go without it, that's true. But the same goes for electronics (do you really need a new smartphone instead of your old Nokia 3310?), cars (train and bicycle are the way to go!), power consumption (do you really need to sit in front of a PC and post stuff in here?), consumption of foood aside from meat (don't buy vegetables in the market, plant them all yourself) etc. Does that mean we have to stop using anything that is harmful to the environment in any way?

The solution is to use everything in moderation. Educate people what their consumption costs aside from the money they spend - like pollution, abuse etc. They'll decide themselfs if this makes them wanna go vegetarian or just to back down a little bit on their consumption. There's nothing else you can and should do. Personally, I did set myself a limit of meat I eat each week, because I think that's the right way. But everyone should consider themselfs based on their education what's the right thing to do.

If you decided to don't eat meat or even be a vegan because you think there are too many downsides on eating meat, that's a good thing. But telling people that they really should go without it and denounce their posts in here leads to nothing. To the contrary. It will make people angry. It will drive them away from considering to become vegetarian or vegan themselfs. Because there's this guy that seems like he wants to tell the people that his way of living is the only reasonable way to go.

Edit: words.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
lSHaDoW-FoXl said:
Now, why don't we review the final thoughts of some folks here who found out that their food from an industry which pollutes, contributes to global warming, obesity, and kills billions of animals may also contribute to them getting cancer.
Pollutes?

Well that must be the US industry then, which means I can't do anything about that, for the simple reason that US food isn't imported to Denmark, so even if I wanted to boycott, I couldn't.

Contributes to global warming?

Is it the bovine flatulence? Or just the emissions caused by transport and other farming equipment.

In case of the former, there's little we can do about that without causing mass starvation.

In the case of the latter, the sollution would be more money into R&D to make efficient, no emission engines.

Obesity?

No, the industry isn't what causes obesity. What causes obesity is breathtaking lack of selfcontrol.

It's not a farmers fault that some bell end can't stop shoving greasy baking into said bell ends cake socket.

Kills billions of animals?

Welcome to the circle of life. Herbivores eat plants, omnivores and carnivores eat herbivores, and plants live off the residue carcasses of herbivores, piscivores, omnivores and carnivores.

For something beautiful to live, something else had to die.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Oh, breathing air and being alive causes cancer if you let someone near a microscope long enough. Someone said bacon last night. I'm sure nearly all bacon lovers are calling bullshit there. I would.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
Well it's no secret that meat isn't particularly amazing for the human body. Suggesting that it causes cancer though? Errr...

MrFalconfly said:
Welcome to the circle of life. Herbivores eat plants, omnivores and carnivores eat herbivores, and plants live off the residue carcasses of herbivores, piscivores, omnivores and carnivores.

I don't know about that. Humans have the ability to both determine the outcome of the planet (at least temporarily) and make conscious decisions about their diets. While we may have evolved to be omnivorous, a diet without meat is almost effortless considering our proficiency in agriculture and food production.

Humans don't need to eat meat, but they choose to. I won't rag on them for doing so but honestly, the only argument to defend the consumption of meat is "it tastes good". It's the only justification I had for eating meat in the past.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Everything causes cancer.

If people remember, Penn & Teller did a joke where they convinced people to ban Dihydrogen Monoxide(read: water) by listing it as carcinogenic and as a poisonous substance, and people bought it.

The only way to eliminate all threat of cancer is to not eat, not breathe, not move, not think and not feel anything.

It can claim anyone, and I'm not going to alter my lifestyle cause of that study. If anything, people who don't give a shit and are happy regardless tend to be cancer survivors, not those who change everything according to studies(personal experience).

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
DizzyChuggernaut said:
Well it's no secret that meat isn't particularly amazing for the human body. Suggesting that it causes cancer though? Errr...

MrFalconfly said:

I don't know about that. Humans have the ability to both determine the outcome of the planet (at least temporarily) and make conscious decisions about their diets. While we may have evolved to be omnivorous, a diet without meat is almost effortless considering our proficiency in agriculture and food production.

Humans don't need to eat meat, but they choose to. I won't rag on them for doing so but honestly, the only argument to defend the consumption of meat is "it tastes good". It's the only justification I had for eating meat in the past.
There's a case to be made that the reason for our relatively large brains, is because of the protein surplus caused by an omnivorous diet (that is the inclusion of meat).

Also, my point still stands. For something beautiful to live something else had to die.

Case in point.

Big star died to seed the sorounding universe with the heavy metals and ions required for advanced life to exist.

Mar 30, 2010
WHO have declared that processed meat causes cancer. PROCESSED. If you were eating a hotdog filled with artificial compounds, bulking agents and mechanically separated parts of the animal that can't even legally be turned into dog food and were under the impression that they weren't bad for you then this news article is the wake-up call you needed. If, like most folk, you were fully aware before-hand that processed meat is garbage then this news comes as no surprise.

Beliyal

Big Stupid Jellyfish
Jun 7, 2010
I'm a vegetarian so HA!

Gloating aside, this is really just sensationalism. Like, yeah, people who exaggerate with meat consumption are probably at higher risk for developing a number of diseases, but most people don't exaggerate. With a normal, balanced diet, I don't think meat is any more dangerous than anything else on the planet that might be causing cancer. Besides, there's meat and there's meat; eating traditionally made meals at your grandma's is probably not the same as feasting on fast food every day.

So, does meat cause cancer? Yeah, probably... In certain circumstances. There's natural susceptibility to cancer, other eating and living habits, genetics and a hundred other factors like which meat you eat the most, how it's cooked, where you buy it and so on. Generally speaking, people with balanced and nuanced diets will be fine. It can still happen to you though, but I think it's common sense to try to do your best to keep your diet balanced. Maybe I'm biased however, seeing as I live on the Mediterranean where people just have these balanced diets mentioned in the article (though in other parts of the country, they are more focused on meat and it shows through weight and health differences).

Seraj33

Jun 18, 2012
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Funny how 99% of the people ITT are dismissing this research yet about the same proportion of society strongly condemns smoking, and wouldn't want a return to smoking in public places like libraries, cafes and shopping centres. Admit it - you like meat, so you don't want to stop eating it. It's not because 'everything causes cancer'.
You forget though, that there is a HUGE difference between smoking and eating meat. When you smoke, let's say inside a public bus, where people can't even escape immediately at their own will, you are forcing every single one of those people to breathe your disgusting "backwash". While in the case of meat, you eating it does not force everyone else to also eat it. It is a choice everyone can make independently.
Basicaly, when smoking you are actively hurting/disgusting others. While eating meat, well, I guess you run the risk of supporting a gruesome industry depending of which meat you choose. (All hail locally produced meats!)

As for my opinion on the whole "ao mai gawd meat IS cancer".
Rice is cancer. Peanuts is cancer. Mold is cancer. Dust is cancer. Air is cancer. Life is cancer.
Conclusion: Whatever.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Smooth Operator said:
There sadly is no science less scientific then food study, well apart from religious science.
I tried reading through that study but it's countless layers of wishy washy bullshit, or to be more direct they don't actually have a study it is all statistic correlation from countless sources. No one has proven any of the claims in a laboratory under controlled conditions, they are just guessing that it's meat that gave people cancer and somehow not the thousands of other substances they ingested every day.

This information butchering is exactly why you can't take a single damn sentence seriously, but the prefect way to sell headlines and new diets.
That's my issue with it as well, and why a lot of the reporting on it annoys me. It's a broad overview of a lot of different (often unrelated) studies that tries to point out a broad correlation between their results. The issue with that is, if you're trying to find a correlation, it's often very easy to do so. To try and deal with that, you need to know the views and motivations of the people doing the study. Humans tend to see what they want to see, even highly intelligent and very knowledgeable humans. That's why peer-reviewed science is the only really accepted science.

That being said, there probably *is* a correlation between a high intake of processed/red meat and higher instances of cancer (I believe they specifically referred to colon cancer in this study). I'd totally believe that.

However, it's a quantum leap to go from "eating too much of these meats can slightly increase your chances of cancer" to "Meat gives you cancer just like cigarettes and asbestos." We're not in the same ballpark, we aren't even playing the same sport. We've had processed meats in the US for, what, a hundred years now (I'm talking spam, bologna, the real bad lunch meats), and I don't see a significant portion of the population dying of it.

Colon cancer is the third-leading killer among cancers (which are the 2nd leading cause of death in the US). Somewhere around 50,000 people die of colon cancer a year... out of around 2.5 million US death's a year. That's 2% of all US deaths a year. Hell, colon cancer only makes up about 8.6% of *all* cancer deaths in the US. You could link meat consumption to heart disease (the #1 killer in the US) of course, but you can link a *lot* of things to heart disease, and that wasn't what this study was about.

And trying to link anything to cancer is difficult because so many things can cause it. It's impossible to know how many of those colon cancer cases are from diet, or from genetics, or environmental factors.

So yeah, will eating an excess amount of processed/red meat potentially raise your risk of cancer very slightly? Sure, a lot of things we do everyday will potentially raise your risk of cancer very slightly. I'd believe that. But that doesn't make it a carcinogen on par with smoking or asbestos, lol. What *would* be interesting science, would be to really go over common processed meats and see if we can find some common link between them and an increased risk of cancer. Then we could potentially use that to alter the manufacturing process in a way that improves things. Even cutting cancer deaths by a fraction of a fraction of a percent is potentially 100's or 1000's of lives saved yearly.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
MrFalconfly said:
DizzyChuggernaut said:

MrFalconfly said:

There's a case to be made that the reason for our relatively large brains, is because of the protein surplus caused by an omnivorous diet (that is the inclusion of meat).

Also, my point still stands. For something beautiful to live something else had to die.

Case in point.

--cut image--

Big star died to seed the sorounding universe with the heavy metals and ions required for advanced life to exist.
Not exactly the same thing, cows don't have to die in order for humans to get enough protein to live. Yeah that "circle of life" thing sounds nice (I watched the Lion King, too), but it doesn't really apply to humans who can make the choice to not eat meat and still be as healthy as those who do not.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Seraj33 said:
Funny how 99% of the people ITT are dismissing this research yet about the same proportion of society strongly condemns smoking, and wouldn't want a return to smoking in public places like libraries, cafes and shopping centres. Admit it - you like meat, so you don't want to stop eating it. It's not because 'everything causes cancer'.
You forget though, that there is a HUGE difference between smoking and eating meat. When you smoke, let's say inside a public bus, where people can't even escape immediately at their own will, you are forcing every single one of those people to breathe your disgusting "backwash". While in the case of meat, you eating it does not force everyone else to also eat it. It is a choice everyone can make independently.
Basicaly, when smoking you are actively hurting/disgusting others. While eating meat, well, I guess you run the risk of supporting a gruesome industry depending of which meat you choose. (All hail locally produced meats!)
Ah, but everything causes cancer, remember? So what does it matter if you breathe some second hand smoke? That coffee you're drinking at the cafe, the book you're touching at the library are all going to kill you anyway.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
My wife and I have been doing a mostly meat free diet to try to improve cholesterol and I honestly don't miss it. It's kind of nauseating when I do have it now. We're also trying to reduce salt intake for blood pressure and that's a lot more difficult than meat.

lSHaDoW-FoXl

Jul 17, 2008
leberkaese said:
lSHaDoW-FoXl said:
Snipity do dah

Edit: words.
"Meat is a luxury article that contributes to pollution and animal abuse (greatly depending on the amount of cash you want to pay for your meat). Like so many luxury things it would be a lot better to completely go without it, that's true. But the same goes for electronics (do you really need a new smartphone instead of your old Nokia 3310?), cars (train and bicycle are the way to go!), power consumption (do you really need to sit in front of a PC and post stuff in here?), consumption of foood aside from meat (don't buy vegetables in the market, plant them all yourself) etc. Does that mean we have to stop using anything that is harmful to the environment in any way?"

This is a bit of a straw-man because my argument was never "that we shouldn't ever do things that are harmful to the environment. Ever." There is a proportional difference in the bad these things bring and they also differ in what lies for them in the future. Electronics unlike that of meat cannot be replaced by anything and they're absolutely fundamental in our society. There's an incredible lot we'd no longer have if we lost electronics. Furthermore, electronics also have potential to be more efficient, resourceful, and bring less damage. Unless we're talking about lab-grown meat then there's simply no way this industry can exist without an incredible amount of suffering and destruction. As for cars there aren't a lot of alternatives that function as efficiently as they do. Sometimes getting somewhere in the time that it would take for a car instead of a bike is vital. On top of all this, the pollution these vehicles bring is less than factory farming. As for power consumption, I don't think having dialogue is a poor use of it.

"The solution is to use everything in moderation. Educate people what their consumption costs aside from the money they spend - like pollution, abuse etc. They'll decide themselfs if this makes them wanna go vegetarian or just to back down a little bit on their consumption. There's nothing else you can and should do. Personally, I did set myself a limit of meat I eat each week, because I think that's the right way. But everyone should consider themselfs based on their education what's the right thing to do."

The problem with arguing for moderation is that there's presumption being made that it's warranted to begin with. As far as health goes then yes, eating meat in moderation probably won't give people cancer. As far as health goes, moderation is warranted. When it betters society, moderation is warranted. But what does factory farming do for our society that isn't solely indulgent and monetary? It can be completely replaced with the things we're already consuming and need to begin with. How is it acceptable to kill in moderation when the end game is purely decadent? If we were to flip this to any kind of animal cruelty that isn't universally accepted then the argument just doesn't work. Sometimes there is no place for moderation.

As for your point about letting people make their own decisions? Ehh, iffy. It's true that I'm saying that no one should eat meat but it's not like I'm holding a gun and forcing them to eat spinach or anything.

"But telling people that they really should go without it and denounce their posts in here leads to nothing. To the contrary. It will make people angry. It will drive them away from considering to become vegetarian or vegan themselfs. Because there's this guy that seems like he wants to tell the people that his way of living is the only reasonable way to go."

The alternative is saying nothing, which is worse.

There's another post I'd like to get to but I don't know how to do more than one quote in a single post and I'd rather not bother with the trouble so I'll get to it later. Besides, I don't want to be that guy that just spends all their time on a forum.

Seraj33

Jun 18, 2012
Seraj33 said:
Ah, but everything causes cancer, remember? So what does it matter if you breathe some second hand smoke? That coffee you're drinking at the cafe, the book you're touching at the library are all going to kill you anyway.
You are missing my point. The point is that when you smoke you are polluting the area for everyone present. While eating meat or anything like that you are only affecting yourself. Smoking is not only bad for your health, it is disgusting.
You could say, some poeple don't give a shit that it causes cancer but do give a shit that some asshole made them smell like cigarette smoke at the busstop before going on a date or an important meeting.
See what I mean?