Poll: Mists of Pandaria - Why all the hate?

Aeryn Seoung

Aug 21, 2009
I don't really like the Pandaren either... it's not going to stop me from playing the game though. Why the hell should I care? it's not like I'm being forced to make a pandaren alt.

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
The Madman said:
Frankly there are just so many more interesting things they could have done, places they could have explored much more integral to the games setting and story. In my mind it's just kinda stupid that *this* of all things is what they went with but whatever,
This, exactly, is why there is so much hate for the panda expansion. There is so, so much in WoW's "Lore" that can be expanded upon, moved forward, or just plain explained. But no, they go with Pandarians for the obvious short-term fan-child sqees and cash-in thereof.

The mindless masses that play WoW are the same mindless masses that play CoD, watch television, and listen to pop music. Or alternatively, the IRL NPCs.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
People would have rebelled at any big deviation from the norm. That's pretty much MoP's only crime, it's a little more of a jump in concept than any of the previous expansions, but it had to happen eventually. Nothing put out by Blizzard has implied this expansion will be any more childish or comedy-oriented than any other, but people were ready to jump to that conclusion and start making up bullshit about "appealing to kids more" or "tapping into the Chinese market" with the intellectual confidence idiots always possess when they're talking baseless crap supported only by the fact that it "sounds about right, yeah?" in their heads.

It's also strange that people are bitching about the Pandaren being the only lore feature of this expansion. That's just straight-up willful ignorance from anybody who's actually played the game this long. No expansion has been about one aspect of the lore so far. TBC had a lot of different races and background tied loosely together by the Burning Legion, WotLK had both the Old Gods and the Lich King as pretty much independant big bads and Cataclysm most of all delved into pretty much every aspect of the lore at some point, with some zones completely unrelated to Deathwing and the Twilight's Hammer. MoP will be the same. You'll have pandas and oriental stuff, but everything that's around now will still be there and a lot of it will be expanded on...in fact, given the lack of a real big bad, there's a chance that MoP will expand on more separate parts of the story than any other expansion.

The tl:dr of it is that a bunch of people for whatever reason don't like the expansion's most immediate and obvious content and so have decided on a knee-jerk reaction not to give it the same benefit of the doubt they would for any other expansion.

The pet battle thing is still bollocks, though. Seriously, who asked for that?

Ympulse said:
The Madman said:
Frankly there are just so many more interesting things they could have done, places they could have explored much more integral to the games setting and story. In my mind it's just kinda stupid that *this* of all things is what they went with but whatever,
This, exactly, is why there is so much hate for the panda expansion. There is so, so much in WoW's "Lore" that can be expanded upon, moved forward, or just plain explained. But no, they go with Pandarians for the obvious short-term fan-child sqees and cash-in thereof.

The mindless masses that play WoW are the same mindless masses that play CoD, watch television, and listen to pop music. Or alternatively, the IRL NPCs.
Quoted for most unintentionally hilarious shit on the forums.

IKSA

Jun 30, 2011
Illidari was epic, Lich king was epic, Death wing was epic and now Pandas and not eaven without eaven real enynemy WTF!?!?

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
First of all, did you really have to put the phrase "Why all the hate?" in the thread title? You do realize that is one of the most irritating and hated things to ever continue to stain the Escapist chagrin, right? Ugh.

Second, I have not seen a single thread on Mists of Pandaria since the expansion was announced, which causes me to believe that you are riding off the hate-train from the WoW forums. Which should never be taken seriously. Which is filled with entitled twats who feel they deserve everything for paying $15 a month for server access.

Third, boy, there sure is a lot of acid being spat around in this thread, insulting those who play World of Warcraft and doomsaying the game as a whole. Nobody wants to read that. It's a game that people enjoy playing. If you have a problem with that, Skyrim is there waiting for you like a lost puppy dog.

I am very much looking forward to Mists of Pandaria. It looks like a lot of fun and a welcome break from the direction the game has been taking as of late, meaning geared more towards high-end content that requires a lot of time and effort to truly enjoy. Blizzard realizes that people just don't have this kind of time anymore, and I for one, agree with them. Having been playing WoW off and on since my 16th birthday, the game has already changed a great deal since the early days.

I've never complained before, so why should I start now?

[sub]I welcome our Pandaren brethren.[/sub]

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
SecretNegative said:
Oh Blizzard, you so silly and cartoony and unserious.
Even after WoW made them look more serious, ghouls STILL look like cartoony versions of the Skeksis from Dark Crystal.

Which was grimdarker than WoW.

Course clicking on a ghoul made him say 'Whassuuuuup'.

Every unit's clicking thing involved some sort of pun. That's not even counting the repeated clicking things.

And the ART STYLE is cartoony.

Seriously.

And... The PitLord [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYQ3921AP_Q&feature=related]

Fastforward to :50.

Seriously. How did you MISS this?

Oh and Oh So Serious Illidan?

The Warglaives of Azinoth? Those oh so serious blades? Pandas on them.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I said "furious" because honestly this kind of summarizes a big part of why I stopped playing WoW.

To be entirely honest I was pretty psyched up until the end of "Liche King" when they resolved the ongoing storyline, but figured "what are they going to do now". In response we got Cataclysm, and while one can argue "Deathwing" is supported by the lore, I just felt the whole thing was bloody stupid, I just couldn't get motivated by the idea, especially seeing as them recycling all the old content with updates as the primary focus came accross as them largely being out of ideas.

This being along with how Blizzard never bothered to address the game balance issues between The Alliance and The Horde, especially in terms of undoing the effects of that damage through the game. I felt that the Goblins... which were silly to begin with when given that much focus, were a slap in the face to Alliance players given how horrifically unbalanced they were especially compared to the Worgen. I mean when your looking at a race that gets a haste boost, a skill upgrade to a big time money making crafting skill (why they got Alchemy other than this, instead of Engineering is beyond me), anywhere in the world bank access, and a racial abillity that functions as either a blink or scaling DD instant cast attack... compared to a race that has the abillity to bend over in the anal sex position and get a slight movement speed increase for a few seconds... yeah that's pretty bad.

The recent issues with the insults/threats towards Alliance players just put some final confirmation on the entire thing.

Then there were fundemental design issues with a few of the "pure" classes. As a mage player when they started to increasingly make it so that any DPS character could do as much damage, while retaining the mage's crappy defenses I had an increasing issue. All of the "Well I can only wear leather or chain" is ridiculous considering a class that can only wear cloth. Not to mention those other character types generally have more diverse abillities. A ranged DPS druid can still fire off a heal, or a battle rez, or shapeshift into a more durable form in a pinch, not as good as someone who is specialized, but those abillities are still there along with the damage dealing. With a mage when your abillity is "do damage" exclusively, and a crowd control that is rarely viable in instances (99% of the stuff seems to be immune where it would be really useful) that's a problem. Rogues were in a similar boat IMO.

So basically, we have these imbalances, including some fundemental flaws to the game design that REALLY need to be addressed. A new talent system being unlikely to help because honestly when it comes to SERIOUS play people are still going to come up with optimized configurations so it resolves nothing. Certain classes need to be re-conceived from the ground up....

... and then we have Blizzard not coming up with any new, worthy, content after Lich King. I mean Deathwing wasn't all that inspiring, and now this whole Pandarian thing is even worse. I mean if the best thing Blizzard came come up with is to make an entire expansion about an old joke, that's pretty bloody sad.

To be honest, both Monks and a Pandarians are things people have wanted in the game because they would be cool, but not as the major focus for an entire expansion, and really that's the problem. Had they come up with something as compelling as the whole Arthas storyline somehow and then threw in a few little things like that as a sideline, that would be one thing, but really when the whole supplement is "Mists of Pandaria" that falls under the "WTF" catagory.

WoW has a lot of addicts who will stay until they turn off the lights (if that ever happens) but it should be no surprise that the game is losing players at an astronomical rate. I think things have gotten bad enough where even WoW players are able to look at the Pandarians and think "wow, that's really retarded" when it's a major game focus as opposed to just a side joke.

I think the disagreement on whether this is good or bad will be resolved based on what happens with the WoW player base over the next couple of years. Really, I think Blizzard needs to get some details on other projects out there pretty quickly. They have "Project Titan" out there, but it's hard to get excited about with the almost total lack of information.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
Ehh hmm...

As people very often state of the TOR forums (and many on the TOR forums are from WoW, but many aren't as well), "World of Warcraft will not be killed by TOR or another MMO, though it could be if it was the target, but instead, it will be killed by itself, as it has been doing.".

The expansion doesn't sit well with many, but the talent tree, awesome ease to get items for everyone, and the whole "let's just skip right through the quests details" was getting tiring to many people.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
SecretNegative said:
But that actually has something to do with the plot, so maybe it doesn't count?
Visual style doesn't count?

No? Really? REALLY?!

The fact it LOOKS cartoonish?

Xmaspast

Sep 11, 2011
King of the Sandbox said:
The first time I ran into a panda monk named Jack Black, I'd probably put my fist through my monitor.
This.

Also, to people complaining about how it's kind of a double standard being okay with cow people and not panda people. I think the real hate isn't about the fact that they're pandas, I'm really pretty sure that's just a poor way of us vocalizing our frustrations. Really, what bugs me and most of the people I know at least, is how the pandas are so lighthearted and don't really fit in to the whole "War" aesthetic of Warcraft. It's not so much that they're pandas, it's that there were so many other options they could have done. Ogres, anyone? And what happened to Sargeras? Wow is trying reduce the focus on end game content which, might I add, is the only real purpose of playing the game if you dont' PVP while the most powerful evil force is still out there! If Blizzard wanted my subscription back they'd have boosted the level cap and instead of adding Pandaria or whatever it's called they should have redone Outland and put the focus back on the Burning Legion. There were so many more compelling things they could have done, things I'd have actually been interested in playing. As it stands, I have no desire to be a Monk that requires me to basically play Street Fighter with my action bar. Fuck. That.

At the same time, though, I feel like if they destroyed the few reminders I have left of The Burning Crusade and how much fun I used to have I'd probably drown myself in the bath.

joe-h2o

The name's Bond... Hydrogen Bond
Oct 23, 2011
Burning Crusade was just about the high point for me (played it through at raid level from Vanilla up until the end of WotLK, never played Cata).

TBC just felt like they'd honed the formula into something that really worked, at least for PvE content. Black Temple is one of best group experiences I've ever done, along with the original bear run in ZA at level 70.

Ok, so warlocks were OP, but you can't have everything!

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
SecretNegative said:
DracoSuave said:
Visual style doesn't count?

No? Really? REALLY?!

The fact it LOOKS cartoonish?
What the hell are you rambling about? I was sarcastic, that since you don't seem to care about the fact that the plot is serious, and I provided a clip where an Archdemon demolishes an entire city (which isn't exactly lightheartened) and in a sacrastic tone I asked since that if that scene (that wasn't whacky and childish) don't matter, because it has something to do with the plot, which you don't seem to care about.

Good lord, it's really weird that I have to explain this.

Now, can you say something about the story that is lightheartened and cartoony? Else you're just trying to make easter eggs bigger than they are.
Not at all, I'm not ignoring it. In fact, it's part of my point; you can have a serious narrative in WoW, while it contains cartoonish stylistic elements.

So there's no reason to believe that Panda Monks are going to result in a non-serious narrative in a game that previously had ALL the silly crap I mentioned... in a 'serious' narrative.

If art style and character design were going to break that camel's back, that camel was killed the first time a Human Peasent said "Mo' work!?" in their sad plaintive voice.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Personally, this expansion will most likely bring me back into WoW... for awhile, at least.

I managed to quit, but there's just so much cool stuff in there that I can't resist. I've always thought that WoW should introduce a cross-faction race, and Pandarens are just right for the job (Goblins would have fit too, but I can understand them being Horde-exclusive, considering their history in the RTS Warcraft games).

My only concern is that Pandaren players might cause a bit of confusion on the battlefield. Each race looks distinctive, so it's always easy to tell who is on who's side. But, maybe the color-coded names will be enough to distinguish them.