Poll: MLP S3 Finale: Why it's the best episode so far

lordmardok

Mar 25, 2010
Ok, inb4backlash: When I say 'Best Episode' I do not mean content-wise. I'm talking about how this episode more than any other in the entire series should give us all hope for My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic as a whole.

The reason for this is because more than any other episode, this one has taken the status quo by the neck and shaken it into a brand new shape. This is something that every series absolutely needs to do at some point. Look at long-running series like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Star Trek, Bones, etc... All of these shows have had huge changes thrown into the mix in order to stave off the one absolute death knell of any television series.

Stagnation.

Hasbro has, by ending the series on such a note, exceeded all of what should have been our highest expectations by bravely taking a loved series and expanding into new and unknown territory in an attempt to keep the series fresh and alive for us. FOR US. Do any of you (not counting trolls/haters/parasprites/etc...) want to see this amazing series end? Because I sure don't, I want them to keep going, keep animating, keep innovating! By Celestia's beard this is the writing team sweating blood trying to keep a series we love from stagnating itself into an early grave!

The S3 finale has gotten a lot of flak for ending the episode with Alicorn Twilight (GASP!) staying an Alicorn. To me this simply reeks of a fear of change, you guys do realize that that's exactly the attitude that gets bronies ostracized and shunned in society today right? It's just people being a afraid of something different. So congratulations, if you disliked this episode because of the above reasons then you are now one of that crowd.

On the other hoof if you just didn't like that it felt a little rushed then that's totally ok, I agree that it probably should have been a two parter to give proper gravity to such a change which is one reason I think that Alicorn Twilight probably isn't here to stay. It's far from a perfect episode but that fact that the writers are willing to venture into this kind of territory speaks volumes for their quality and really gives a lot of hope for the series as a whole.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
TopazFusion said:
tbh, it doesn't matter what they do, people will always complain.

Not making changes? Boo! Stagnation!
Making changes? Boo! Changes!
Acknowledging the audience? Boo! Fanservice!
Not acknowledging the audience? Boo! They're not listening to us!

It doesn't matter what Hasbro do, they can't ever win.
EXACTLY!

I mean people wanted Discord and Trixie to make another appearance in S3 (Two of the best episodes in S3 IMO) and people were still raging. It's BULLSHIT.

Glasgow

Oct 17, 2011
TopazFusion said:

It doesn't matter what Hasbro do, they will still sell toys and profit from this disturbingly large fanbase.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I've said before how they should have saved Twilight becoming an Alicorn for the series finale. Although after thinking about it, I kinda agree. Making Twilight a princess could lead the show into new and interesting directions. Perhaps we could get introduced to new characters like the mane six. More settings, perhaps we could learn more about Celestia and Luna now that Twilight is alongside them as an alicorn.

I'll be cautiously optimistic for whatever Season 4 has to offer.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
The Morning Suit Man said:
I actually enjoyed the little nods to the fanbase, but pandering to them is never a good idea.

I think it would be best if they really didn't acknowledge the fanbase and stuck to what the target demographic was, I mean, people liked it when they were doing just that, right?
That's exactly the thought I've had ever since the whole "season 3 sucks" thing started. When we started to like the show, the writers weren't aware of the older fanbase. Now that they are, suddenly the show "sucks".

The only reason I don't like the finale is because of how rushed I felt it was. A lot of episodes felt rushed (the one including Discord, for example). I'm still excited for season 4 though.

Thistlehart

Nov 10, 2010
OP, I'm right there with you.

I'm eagerly looking forward to Season 4. I want to see what happens with all this new stuff going on: Discord out and about as a "good guy", Princess Twilight (I just hope we've seen the last of that rather horrid dress), Wonderbolt Rainbow Dash, and more.

Granted I felt the last episode was crammed to bursting with too much stuff, and it could have greatly benefited from being split in two for more development of concept and theme. It also was a bit of a cliffhanger, and that's interesting. I think you have a point where this episode, while not quite up to the usual storytelling snuff of previous episodes/seasons, can be considered the best episode so far for the sheer potential it represents.

I hear people uttering "status quo," "change is bad," "fanservice," yadda yadda ad nauseam, but I don't get the attitude.

I'm excited.

This is exciting.

I want to see where all this stuff goes.

Lazy

Aug 12, 2012
My problem wasn't with the change itself but how it was handled. I had no opinion on the whole "alicorn" thing before the episode aired.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Two words: Two parts.
I thought it was exciting, but it would have been PERFECT if it wasn't over so quickly.
I usually try to focus on the good rather than the bad but even I had to say "too many songs, not enough conflict and development."
Granted, I LOVED those songs and it could be argued that this last task Twilight completed was the cherry on top of a large sundae of achievements but personally, I though it was weak.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The first time I watched it I didn't really like it, it felt rushed and like they passed up tons of possible character development. But after watching it a second time I really enjoyed it, they actually did everything they needed to within a single episode and all of it works. It really didn't feel rushed the second time I watched it. It took its place among my top five after that.

Zeke63

Jul 10, 2012
Where's the option for it was ok, don't care if it was two parts. Please frame poll responses better though maybe im guilty of that too. anyway gave this episode a watch due to all the spin on the escapist, can't say it was impressive. at all. rather dull and inoffensive if anything

ManaAdvent

Apr 16, 2010
Kalezian said:
lRookiel said:
TopazFusion said:

EXACTLY!

I mean people wanted Discord and Trixie to make another appearance in S3 (Two of the best episodes in S3 IMO) and people were still raging. It's BULLSHIT.
I can understand Trixie not being liked...

but people didn't like a second helping of Discord?

wat.
It's more or less partially because of the reforming part since many like I do, wanted Discord to remain the villain (though he may switch sides later on), and also that the episode felt mostly rushed especially with Discord's heel-turn near the end that like with the finale, it should have been a two-parter.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
knight steel said:
Pony pOny poNy ponY HELP Pony pony pony pony Pony pony twilight pony pony ME Pony :p pony pony pony I pony pony pony pony pinkie pie PONY pony pony pony Can't Pony pony pony apple jack pony Pony pony pony pony pony pony o_O pony pony P-o-n-y pony pony spike pony pony pony STOP pony pony flutter shy Pony pony pony pony SEEING pony pony pony pony Pony pony :( pony pony rainbow dash pony pony pony pony Pony pony ^_^ pony pony pony pony pony pony Pony pony pony pony MLP pony pony pony pony Pony pony pony p-o-n-y pony pony pony pony Pony pony pony pony pony pony T_T pony pony Pony pony pony pony THREADS
I have heard your cry for help Struggler, and i shall assist you in casting off the shackles of your fandom. BUt do realise, the solution is not an easy fix for one such as yourself.

All you must do is watch this and you will be free:
BUT! Do realise, this will be hard for you. Bronies, and all my little pony watchers, all posess a weakness towards Susumu Hirasawa songs (Particularly ones featured in berserk such as Forces and Aria). This is why you never see Susumu Hirasawa songs and My Little Pony Mix...for the results could be fatal.

If you survive watching this struggler, then your mind will be freed and will be ready to take it's first step into a dark but rewarding new world: A world of Berserk.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Infernai said:
knight steel said:
Pony pOny poNy ponY HELP Pony pony pony pony Pony pony twilight pony pony ME Pony :p pony pony pony I pony pony pony pony pinkie pie PONY pony pony pony Can't Pony pony pony apple jack pony Pony pony pony pony pony pony o_O pony pony P-o-n-y pony pony spike pony pony pony STOP pony pony flutter shy Pony pony pony pony SEEING pony pony pony pony Pony pony :( pony pony rainbow dash pony pony pony pony Pony pony ^_^ pony pony pony pony pony pony Pony pony pony pony MLP pony pony pony pony Pony pony pony p-o-n-y pony pony pony pony Pony pony pony pony pony pony T_T pony pony Pony pony pony pony THREADS

I have heard your cry for help Struggler, and i shall assist you in casting off the shackles of your fandom. BUt do realise, the solution is not an easy fix for one such as yourself.

All you must do is watch this and you will be free:
BUT! Do realise, this will be hard for you. Bronies, and all my little pony watchers, all posess a weakness towards Susumu Hirasawa songs (Particularly ones featured in berserk such as Forces and Aria). This is why you never see Susumu Hirasawa songs and My Little Pony Mix...for the results could be fatal.

If you survive watching this struggler, then your mind will be freed and will be ready to take it's first step into a dark but rewarding new world: A world of Berserk.
Freedom, the horror-the beauty-the passion and the cries of pain and Ecstasy my mind has been......RELEASED