Poll: Modern Technology and my lack of Excitement over it.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
tahrey said:
I think as you get older, the excitement and shiny-factor of having the latest and greatest new thing to show off to your friends, and the oppressive feeling that you can't possibly live without said items, fades away and is replaced by an awful realisation of just how much they cost... plus a shift to showing off in other ways (but less often, and focussing more on shared experiences). Plus the subconscious background knowledge that, before awesome new gadget X came along you were already quite happily living a decent and full life without it, so what really is it going to offer you on top of that?
This, I think, is the summary of the argument of growing disinterested in and even detesting new technology comes from - that you have to weigh the cost against whether you *really* need this new gadget, and as a result one stops following new technology because they're happy with what they have, thus the "What do you need that for?" question rears its head.

It stops being cool because cool stuff comes with a real price, and as an adult, 99% of people take every single expenditure into their budget.

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
loc978 said:
The only solid complaint about "technology" I see here is smartphone battery life, which...
Zhukov said:
modern phones have short battery life (really?)
Yes. They absolutely fucking do. I have a 4 year old "dumb" phone with its original battery... which still lasts a week on idle or several days with heavy use (which is considerably less than it lasted when new). Compare that to maybe 24 hours idle or 8 of heavy use you get from even the best "smart" phones these days.
They really aren't any more flimsy than they've ever been, though.
QFT. I'd rate my HTC as being very nearly as tough as the 3330 I had back in the day ... but it's definitely exchanged battery life for advanced features. I wouldn't really want to go back to that kind of basic provision (though phone, sms, wap/email (er... I know I had SOME monochrome low-rez phone that did that, anyway), customisable ringtones, snake and fm radio is all you REALLY need, so long as you also have a compass, a map, separate digicam, and don't mind calling someone up to google things for you)... but if you could make a modern smartphone with the battery life of the Nokia, even if it then also had to be just as thick as the 33xx series, you'd be onto a serious winner.

Battery meter now: forget to charge up overnight, start the day with it sitting around 20%... shit, fuck, damn. I'd better be hella careful then, maybe scrounge a microUSB lead off someone to juice it up a little off the PC, or it'll be dead by the time I'm heading home, and I still haven't been facebooked the location of where we're all meeting up in town.

Battery meter them: low battery warning blerps you awake a little late for school/work ... grab phone and head out... occasionally cuss the irritating beep it emits every ten minutes, and think "I'd better remember to plug it in when I get back home, otherwise it will probably run out tomorrow and I'll have to beg a charger off someone... plus I haven't any change for the payphones".

The rest of the complaints have to do with culture surrounding technology and trends in software. Much like we saw with cars in the late 90s, hardware is getting more advanced, but the way it's being used in manufacturing is bafflingly impractical. The philosophy of "form following function" is pretty well dead in modern culture, replaced by "form. There's another part?"
Maybe it depends on what car you have. My own 2003 model seems to get it almost exactly right. It's attractively designed, but it has just the right complement of features (all useful without any gaps*, or fripperies that you don't use**) and they all work together in a sensible, ergonomic way. The switchover to largely electronically controlled engines was a bit of a pain because it means you can no longer diagnose an ignition fault by whacking the distributor with a hammer (to free up the impromptu seal of rust that's formed around the lip), tweaking it one way and the other and then popping it open to sandpaper all the corrosion off the terminals ... but it also means that faults of that kind are actually a lot less common, and so long as you can afford the replacement part it's pretty much a matter of undoing one screw, popping a plug out of a socket, withdrawing the offending piece and then doing the reverse with the new one. Almost everything is actually handled in the ECU and all that can go wrong are sensors and the few remaining essential mechanical pieces.

But then, I am in europe, driving a european car. Maybe it's different in the states.

Oddly my previous one (a 2000 model) was from the same manufacturer and, instead of striking a decent balance, was rather the epitome of form following function - the dashboard buttons weren't in an attractive OR ergonomic pattern but spread all over the place, presumably whatever made the shortest cable run (I could turn on the hazard lights with my knee, and often did by accident), and it had a strange, not-sure-if-want running shoe shape that was surely guided by a mixture of windtunnel tests and a need to provide a particular minimum standard of luggage space and ergonomic comfort but little else... a philosophy which seemed to hold right down to the gearing, which made it remarkably efficient, far more than you'd expect such an engine to be in such a car without any kind of actual "overdrive" to the ratios, but was deafening on a long, fast drive. The engine was nicely put together, too, but an absolute nightmare to work on. The current one, although still a bit convoluted, can at least be DIYed to some extent beyond "change the oil" (even the air filter was a nightmare, this time two years ago) without having to hire an engine crane and a trained spider monkey.

So maybe it was a particular narrow period IN the 90s?

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
My apologies for quoting and responding off-topic. I'll try to keep it to one.
tahrey said:
tahrey said:
loc978 said:
The only solid complaint about "technology" I see here is smartphone battery life, which...
Zhukov said:
modern phones have short battery life (really?)
Yes. They absolutely fucking do. I have a 4 year old "dumb" phone with its original battery... which still lasts a week on idle or several days with heavy use (which is considerably less than it lasted when new). Compare that to maybe 24 hours idle or 8 of heavy use you get from even the best "smart" phones these days.
They really aren't any more flimsy than they've ever been, though.
QFT. I'd rate my HTC as being very nearly as tough as the 3330 I had back in the day ... but it's definitely exchanged battery life for advanced features. I wouldn't really want to go back to that kind of basic provision (though phone, sms, wap/email (er... I know I had SOME monochrome low-rez phone that did that, anyway), customisable ringtones, snake and fm radio is all you REALLY need, so long as you also have a compass, a map, separate digicam, and don't mind calling someone up to google things for you)... but if you could make a modern smartphone with the battery life of the Nokia, even if it then also had to be just as thick as the 33xx series, you'd be onto a serious winner.

Battery meter now: forget to charge up overnight, start the day with it sitting around 20%... shit, fuck, damn. I'd better be hella careful then, maybe scrounge a microUSB lead off someone to juice it up a little off the PC, or it'll be dead by the time I'm heading home, and I still haven't been facebooked the location of where we're all meeting up in town.

Battery meter them: low battery warning blerps you awake a little late for school/work ... grab phone and head out... occasionally cuss the irritating beep it emits every ten minutes, and think "I'd better remember to plug it in when I get back home, otherwise it will probably run out tomorrow and I'll have to beg a charger off someone... plus I haven't any change for the payphones".

The rest of the complaints have to do with culture surrounding technology and trends in software. Much like we saw with cars in the late 90s, hardware is getting more advanced, but the way it's being used in manufacturing is bafflingly impractical. The philosophy of "form following function" is pretty well dead in modern culture, replaced by "form. There's another part?"
Maybe it depends on what car you have. My own 2003 model seems to get it almost exactly right. It's attractively designed, but it has just the right complement of features (all useful without any gaps*, or fripperies that you don't use**) and they all work together in a sensible, ergonomic way. The switchover to largely electronically controlled engines was a bit of a pain because it means you can no longer diagnose an ignition fault by whacking the distributor with a hammer (to free up the impromptu seal of rust that's formed around the lip), tweaking it one way and the other and then popping it open to sandpaper all the corrosion off the terminals ... but it also means that faults of that kind are actually a lot less common, and so long as you can afford the replacement part it's pretty much a matter of undoing one screw, popping a plug out of a socket, withdrawing the offending piece and then doing the reverse with the new one. Almost everything is actually handled in the ECU and all that can go wrong are sensors and the few remaining essential mechanical pieces.

But then, I am in europe, driving a european car. Maybe it's different in the states.

Oddly my previous one (a 2000 model) was from the same manufacturer and, instead of striking a decent balance, was rather the epitome of form following function - the dashboard buttons weren't in an attractive OR ergonomic pattern but spread all over the place, presumably whatever made the shortest cable run (I could turn on the hazard lights with my knee, and often did by accident), and it had a strange, not-sure-if-want running shoe shape that was surely guided by a mixture of windtunnel tests and a need to provide a particular minimum standard of luggage space and ergonomic comfort but little else... a philosophy which seemed to hold right down to the gearing, which made it remarkably efficient, far more than you'd expect such an engine to be in such a car without any kind of actual "overdrive" to the ratios, but was deafening on a long, fast drive. The engine was nicely put together, too, but an absolute nightmare to work on. The current one, although still a bit convoluted, can at least be DIYed to some extent beyond "change the oil" (even the air filter was a nightmare, this time two years ago) without having to hire an engine crane and a trained spider monkey.

So maybe it was a particular narrow period IN the 90s?
I'd posit that faults of that type actually aren't less common, it's just that cars are expected to be replaced much sooner. It's not uncommon to find someone driving the same car they've had for over 40 years around where I live, because maintenance consisted of oil changes up to about 100,000 miles (~160.000km for mainland europeans) when more major failures started happening, necessitating an afternoon replacing a part by hand. Spotting a running 1995-2001 (there's your narrow field)... anything, by comparison, is like spotting a fucking unicorn (I do, however, occasionally see clapped-out, about-to-die ten-year-old car). Especially european cars, really. Some people actually take them to the dealer on a monthly basis to keep up with their ridiculous maintenance schedules (my roommate is one of those. His 2000 VW Passat is rigorously maintained at great expense... so it only has about 13 mysterious ECU faults and idles a little rough)... but those are the unicorns.

Personally, I drive vehicles that are older than I am, and rebuild them myself... without letting the distributor rust. That's just irresponsible.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Madman123456 said:
-snippity-
ShinyCharizard said:
I for one don't see any point in constantly keeping up with the latest in mobile phone tech these days. I use my phone for calls, texts and music and everything else in it is just plain useless and unnecessary
I'm pretty much in that same boat with not wanting to keep up with mobiles because of all the crap that comes with it along with being outdated every few months to a single year.

This is the phone I've had and the first I bought with my own money way back in 04 and still today it's in great condition, has longer battery life than most phones and is still as thin and comfortable for me to carry on using until the future phones are all paper thin and not flimsy.

The only new technological device I've bought from this new gen of tech is the Google Nexus 7 because I needed it for when I was on holiday weeks back and even then the device has crappy volume even at max, most options like reading and writing on usb pens with the device isn't happening and the same for card readers unless I root the damn thing but I don't want to brick it either, what the hell happened to the old days where you bought a device and it did everything it said on the box and didn't have to lock everything away from you?.

This is also why I'm not very PC "pro" either because I'm not very fond of wading through all the crap looking for parts that are affordable and do their job well which is why my current new build doesn't thrill me in the least and I'd rather look forward to grabbing a PS4 and Wii U.

I miss the days where this type of Nokia was indestructable and served it's purpose well but modern day phones can't even survive a small drop without fracturing or glitching to hell =/.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
I'm not big on modern tech either, it's pretty expensive and I'm clumsy. I once dropped a phone down the bog, it was my birthday and a present. It would be nice to use facebook without sitting on my computer, except touchscreen keyboards are a pain.

I'm the proudowner of this badboy, the Sony Ericsson W302. I had an LG cookie before it, that I broke while "snowboarding" using a recycling bin lid. The LG cookie is my most expensive phone to date, £30 and part Ex for a nokia with my mate.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
The technology behind all our new devices is absolutely insane & that's what I find so fascinating about it.

The devices, not so much. They're too focused on social media & microtransactions, and most of all, advertising. We should be using this technology to free ourselves, not enslave ourselves to what some company wants us to think.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Genocidicles said:
I just dislike how everything is converging into the same device.

Before, we had books, music players, radios, gaming devices, phones, cameras, tvs and computers, and now all of that is just put onto a smartphone or tablet, and they're not stopping. Soon they'll have keys and credit cards built into the damn things. So everything you use day to day will be on one device. One device with a pathetically short battery-life, that is incredibly easy to break or lose, and is outdated a month after it's released.

I really don't think the convenience of carrying everything around with you in your pocket is worth losing it all because you forgot to charge it the night before or you drop it and it lands on its screen.
That's what I'm fearing too. I'm not adverse to technology and I think the advances in it are wonderful. Of course I'm older now so I'm past the whole "ooh shiny I must have" phase but I'll give credit where credit is due and it's natural for tech to evolve and for the youth to adopt it the quickest.

What I hate and see happening is the abuse by corporations merging not only media but credit card, personal identification and health records onto these ever shrinking ubiquitous super computer devices and the potential then for exploitation will be unprecedented. I don't think I need to go into what kind of Orwellian nightmare that would raise.

Other tech abuses are of course the whole copyright thing and how everything has to be digital with dwindling available hard copy to truly own (books, movies, games, software) and worse yet a change to a subscription model that started with Microsoft Office and has now infected the software suite I use to squeak out a meager existence on in this world, Adobe CS and all its applications. If we had an option for hard copies as well I'd be fine. But we don't (or soon won't) and it makes me really fear what's to come and how we can get fucked up the ass as consumers and have all our rights silently taken away without us even knowing because the clever marketing push behind these kind of "services" will try to convince you that you NEED this kind of change.

The kind of modern technology that gets me excited is the kind where we make medical breakthroughs, cheaper ways for computing and global connectivity and any kinds of step that gets us closer to colonizing mars and exploring space. Stuff like that. Alot of the smaller stuff is either "meh that's cool maybe I'll get that" or just plain "ok.. but how/when are they going to find a way to potentially abuse us with this?"

R.Nevermore

Mar 28, 2008
I dunno man... Google glass seems like something to be excited about. I know I'm stoked on it.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
I do find the constant nagging about being constantly online a bit annoying. Sometimes, I don't want to be on duty by the phone or the email client. And I'm fine without an e-book reader. I'd much rather have a proper book, which never requires to be plugged in somewhere and only require a reasonably dry place with a lightsource to be read.

Modern technology certainly is swell, but I do feel that most it has to offer at the moment are things I never asked for. I don't want it to disappear, of course, obviously there's people out there that does ask for these things. But I'm fine, thank you.

I just prefer things on paper.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
R.Nevermore said:
I dunno man... Google glass seems like something to be excited about. I know I'm stoked on it.
Maybe. The applications look interesting but I see Google glass as being a complete privacy nightmare. All these people walking around with cameras strapped to their heads. I'm not sure about that.

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
Modern technology is all well and good; i like my new SSD. For the moment at least, we'll see when it'll break.

Some technology gets rather annoying. I remember a conversation i had rather often with People who where very late adopters of this new "mobile phone" technology (yeah i'm old). "I don't want to be reachable all the time. I don't want the thing going off at inopportune moments because i forgot to make it silent.".
I'd say that one has to learn how to switch the thing off. As in make it a habit to turn the phone off whenever you don't want to be reached.

Nowadays, my phone takes more time to boot up then my computer does.

Sansha said:
Madman123456 said:
In regards to cellphones, batteries are heavy - making them fatter is not - to me - a feasible option because the phone will weigh too much to be carried in one's pocket.
If the battery in my Phone where to weigh twice as much i doubt i'd even notice. Actually i'd pay money if someone would sell me a big fat battery (and a new back cover for the phone), or maybe a case with photovoltaic cells, which wont do much to charge the phone but would make the battery last longer.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
To be honest, I couldn?t give a shit about the new ?iPricedThisTooDamnHigh? on the market. The only things I use my phone for are texting and phoning anyway, and even then, the touch screen can be annoyingly imprecise at times, even after I?ve aligned it correctly and everything.

As for gaming, I?ve never been that mad about online either. Seriously, my favourite console has and probably always will be my Game Boy Advance SP, which I still take out to play every now and then. Not to mention I much prefer cartridges, since they?re sturdier and less likely to get damaged. You scratch a disc? It?s fucked. You scuff a cartridge? Blow on it and it?ll work again. I?m going to sound like a grumpy old man now (I?m only 17, for Christ?s sake), but we never had a ?Red Ring of Death? back in my day.

For all the pros of the almost godlike things we can do with technology now, there are the cons of which include higher probability of breakdown. Not that I?d want to go back to the days of Windows 97 and AOL dial-up (although, when I was younger, I never used it for much more than writing short stories on Word and playing kids? games), but at least I never had to restore it back to its factory settings twice because the software fucked up after I tried removing a bunch of stuff that was making my computer run slow. (Then again, it could just be my laptop, but whatever.)

Also?I?m quite unhappy to think that physical copies of books will one day be completely replaced by Kindles and whatnot, just like how the typewriter has not dissolved into the abyss of history. I?m sorry, but even if having an electronic device with multiple books that you don?t have to carry is pretty convenient, books that you can hold in your hand don?t need to be charged or downloaded, and you get the benefit of being able to look at the cover artwork, read the blurb, flip between pages at a greater ease?and there?s simply no substitute for that new book paper smell. Mmm?

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Madman123456 said:
Modern technology is all well and good; i like my new SSD. For the moment at least, we'll see when it'll break.

Some technology gets rather annoying. I remember a conversation i had rather often with People who where very late adopters of this new "mobile phone" technology (yeah i'm old). "I don't want to be reachable all the time. I don't want the thing going off at inopportune moments because i forgot to make it silent.".
I'd say that one has to learn how to switch the thing off. As in make it a habit to turn the phone off whenever you don't want to be reached.

Nowadays, my phone takes more time to boot up then my computer does.
I just leave it at home, or on the desk. Which is causing limitless distress to my correspondents, though, so I'll probably have to stop doing that.

Madman123456 said:
If the battery in my Phone where to weigh twice as much i doubt i'd even notice. Actually i'd pay money if someone would sell me a big fat battery (and a new back cover for the phone), or maybe a case with photovoltaic cells, which wont do much to charge the phone but would make the battery last longer.
I've had this idea for a phone peripheral for a while. It's a small, hopefully light dynamo thing with a foldable handcrank. If you're bingo on battery power but don't have access to a electricity socket, you can plug it in and give the phone a small top-up to last you until you get home.

http://www.stockholmshamnar.se/Global/Historiska/Hamnorganisation/Stockholms%20Hamnar/Galleri/F%C3%A4lttelefon%20cirka%201960-tal.jpg

And we come full circle.

Relish in Chaos said:
Also?I?m quite unhappy to think that physical copies of books will one day be completely replaced by Kindles and whatnot, just like how the typewriter has not dissolved into the abyss of history. I?m sorry, but even if having an electronic device with multiple books that you don?t have to carry is pretty convenient, books that you can hold in your hand don?t need to be charged or downloaded, and you get the benefit of being able to look at the cover artwork, read the blurb, flip between pages at a greater ease?and there?s simply no substitute for that new book paper smell. Mmm?
Agreed, and physical books can't be borked by a software error or an electricity surge. I know how this is going to make me sound, but I'm not letting it come to that. There'll be at least someone with paper books as long as I draw breath. :p

Kindles are fantastic, and it's a neat idea. But I'm not handing the library over to the cloud just yet.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
My main concern with tech is that tech keeps obsoleting jobs constantly while the population keeps growing. So I ask you what do we do when we have more people than jobs?

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
Muspelheim said:
Relish in Chaos said:
Agreed, and physical books can't be borked by a software error or an electricity surge. I know how this is going to make me sound, but I'm not letting it come to that. There'll be at least someone with paper books as long as I draw breath. :p

Kindles are fantastic, and it's a neat idea. But I'm not handing the library over to the cloud just yet.
Yeah, same here. When that time comes, I'm keeping all my books. I still occasionally buy retro games, so I can do the same with books.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
ShinyCharizard said:
I for one don't see any point in constantly keeping up with the latest in mobile phone tech these days. I use my phone for calls, texts and music and everything else in it is just plain useless and unnecessary
It would be wise to stop thinking of mobiles as a form of phone. Instead, consider them as mobile computers that happen to have the abilities of a phone as a bonus.

I'm not a massive user of social networks, and only really maintain by Facebook page because people prefer to use that than email, but I hardly think they're stupid. Its just not my thing, more suited to someone who is either much more social than I am or much less so.