Poll: Modern Technology and my lack of Excitement over it.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
blah blah blah blah

whine whine whine whine

Sorry, but I just don't get the point of this thread. Sounds like you're belly aching over trivial shit.

Also, what is the big deal over there being social media in consoles now? They're just there as an extra. It's not like they're in our face while we're trying to play a game. At least in my experience anyway.

Sorry, but I'm just really sick of the negative atmosphere these forums seem to have.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Modern technology irritates me. I hate social media such as Facebook and Twatter and equivalent. I'm an introvert I don't want to be that connected to people all the fucking time! And that's without the fact that these things tend to bring out people's inner asshole. It's Twatter I esp. don't get. Why the fuck would I want to share my life with random fuckwads I don't know? And I still don't get the whole texting thing. It seems like a step backwards to me, like using electronic carrier pigeons. And like the OP said, the rate at which phones and tablets become obsolete one might as well not bother.

jowell24

Jun 13, 2010
I too am not really understanding the main point of OP's argument. I would also say that the whole deal about smartphones being oudated withing a few months is a tad over-exaggerated.

With regards to technology in general, I just think that we've progressed so far in the past 100 years that it naturally gets harder to innovate and discover breakthroughs. Just think of it as a line graph that starts out steep and progressively flattens out slowly over time and you have my opinion on advancement in technology.

We've come a long way from phones the actual size of a brick OP. We're just so saturated in technology about our everyday lives that we take it for granted how hard it can be to innovate and improve in this modern day

EDIT - I also agree with the post #43 above me that many people are being too whiney about social media integration into new hardware and technology. Looking at the PS4 as an example, it's not like the integration is required and Sony are forcing it down our throat.

Companies just have this ambition that the future will consists of inter-connected hardware. Then someone will find a way to hack into everything and we have ourselves a real Aiden Pearce :p

Aug 1, 2010
WE'RE not getting old.

YOU are getting old.

I couldn't be more excited about technology right now.

Think about it: Virtually every person in each first world country currently has a device near them or in their pocket. These devices stay active for many hours. In the time they are on, they serve as a completely portable gateway through which a person can access the WHOLE OF HUMAN KNOWLEDGE. Every fact, every bit of science, every scholarly opinion literally at the fingertips of billions of people. Furthermore, they can offer billions of armature opinions on everything from funny cats to the principles of human morality.

Using these devices and others, people can not only share information and ideas, we can find similar people and organize. Any fan group for anything ever, you can find. And that's not even talking about the political implications.

We're building cars that drive themselves.

We have glasses that project a digital environment on to the real world.

Human lives are increasing in length and enjoyment as we develop new and amazing replacement body parts.

Technology

Is

Awesome

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
scorptatious said:
blah blah blah blah

whine whine whine whine

Sorry, but I just don't get the point of this thread. Sounds like you're belly aching over trivial shit.
I most certainly am. I just wanted to determine whether I'm bellyaching over my getting older or over modern marketing getting shallower, stupider etc you get the idea.

Jun 11, 2009
Zhukov said:
Not really getting the main thrust of your argument here. Online social networks are popular, modern phones have short battery life (really?) and new models are released frequently.

The horror.

Also, you seem to have a very unstable relationship with your 'shift' key.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

AngelOfBlueRoses

The Cerulean Prince
Nov 5, 2008
Madman123456 said:
scorptatious said:
blah blah blah blah

whine whine whine whine

I most certainly am. I just wanted to determine whether I'm bellyaching over my getting older or over modern marketing getting shallower, stupider etc you get the idea.
Modern marketing is in no way any worse today than it was twenty years ago, because marketing has, and always will be, just crap. It's not marketing getting shallower, it's just you not falling for marketing's trap anymore. Marketing may be adapting to a new day and age, with viral marketing as an example, but at its core, it's still the same as it's always been and it's always been groan-worthy.

But I think it's a combination of both. You're bellyaching over getting older, but it's got this undertone of "I wish I fell for the marketing like I used to" to it.

Overall, though, your complaints are mostly invalid, except for the "always online" portion.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
I think its just that "improvements" are coming at a much faster pace these days. You kind of get apathetic to the next big thing if another one is probably going to come about in a year or so.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
Not a big fan of where technology is going. The fact that Amazon.com asks me after I've bought something if I'd like to share the details of my purchase on Facebook and/or Twitter irritates me.

I also don't like how dependent on technology people have become. I took an intro Chemistry class last year (I'm ~30 and this is my second stint in university). When I did a few simple multiplication problems in my head my classmates looked at me as if I'd just pulled a rabbit out of my ass. The number of people who can't calculate a tip (typically 15-20% in America) without busting out their phone is sad and pathetic.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Zhukov said:
modern phones have short battery life (really?)
Yeah. If I leave the Wifi on my Iphone dies in about 3-4 hours. I have it off so it lasts indefinitely without use, but with default settings for everything... they don't last long, especially if you want to use them to connect with people. My sister charges hers about 3 times a day because it loses battery that fast, and she just uses it for texting and Facebook.

OT: Eh, its not necessarily that you're getting old [I'm young and this shit pisses me off], nor is it that technology is getting dumber, but that its appealing to a different demographic. A lot of young people these days, and their parents and grandparents and teachers and bosses [Speaking from experience here, this is the case with almost everyone I know] want to be online and able to communicate with people as often as possible. You're at some awesome event? Why wait till Monday to tell people, tell them now. You're out shopping? Why wait for other people's opinions of what you buy after you've bought it, get them now. You're bored? Why wait around until tomorrow to organise something to do or talk to your friends? Call them up, Facebook them, text them and catch up.

Instead of waiting for communication with the people you want to communicate with, you can communicate now. Additionally, with "Share" buttons and such you can tell people what you're doing, and show off to them whenever you want with minimal effort. No taking a screenshot, going to a web browser, uploading it, posting it to Facebook, and then bragging - it all happens in the press of a button.

These features don't appeal to everyone, and I'd rather see them focus on other things TBH, but there are a lot of people who like the interconnectivity and entertainment they provide. I wouldn't buy a $20 phone that lasted 3 weeks with its battery because I already have a phone. Sure it lasts 4 hours most of the time, but its also got games on it I can play, and the Internet that I can explore, and my emails I can check, and a bunch of things I can do to keep myself entertained when I'm somewhere I don't want to be - which is most of the time actually. Now that I've got a smart phone I've got no interest in getting the next model that looks slightly prettier and is slightly larger, but there was a point to me acquiring the phone originally. I see no appeal in social networking, but others do. Not technology getting dumber, not people getting older, just that its appealing to a different demographic now.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
While in general I completely disagree with everything OP is saying, I have noticed a few funny paradoxes in the "forward advancement" of technology.

For example, through groundbreaking innovations of modern technology we've managed to remove heads-up displays from videogames.

And add them to real life.

So do we want more HUDs or less HUDs? Because technology is working hard to bring us both.

Also, I refuse to vote in this highly one sided poll.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Genocidicles said:
I just dislike how everything is converging into the same device.

Before, we had books, music players, radios, gaming devices, phones, cameras, tvs and computers, and now all of that is just put onto a smartphone or tablet, and they're not stopping. Soon they'll have keys and credit cards built into the damn things. So everything you use day to day will be on one device. One device with a pathetically short battery-life, that is incredibly easy to break or lose, and is outdated a month after it's released.

I really don't think the convenience of carrying everything around with you in your pocket is worth losing it all because you forgot to charge it the night before or you drop it and it lands on its screen.
I don't understand. Do you really want to carry around a: Camera, CD/MP3 player, cell phone, palm pilot, X number of books, and a dedicated gaming device? I don't know about your pants, but I don't have that many pockets. I also don't have the time, money, or outlets to be recharging all of those devices, or for some of them, replacing their batteries, and I sure as shit don't have time to make sure all of my data is synced on all of them the way I want it. Battery life isn't short if you know how to maintain the device correctly, but some batteries and some devices just aren't efficient, and battery life span is expanding- thats technology evolving.

Just because something new has come out doesn't mean its outdated. That's like saying normal pizza is outdated because we have stuffed crust now (see: Moore's Law).

They are easy to break or lose, if you're generally clumsy and irresponsible, but accidents happen, and thats why the phones come with insurance, and phone cases that double down on insurance if you dip your hands in butter everyday. There are apps that you can use to track your phone if lost even. I know I need my smart phone, so I diligently keep track of it, monitor battery life, and I'm not a klutz. It just becomes integrated into your self.

In any case, what if you lose your wallet, keys, or any of those other things? I think it's a higher likelihood to lose 1 of 7 objects than to misplace 1 in 3.