Poll: Most important part of a game

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Not finding an option called "The World", I'll vote for Design, because a well-designed world can suck you in to the point where you don't give two shits about the combat because you JUST wanna see what's around the next corner of this masterpiece....

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Primarily gameplay. If a game has a decent story, is richly designed and has good graphics, but has bad combat mechanics and an unfriendly UI, then the game may as well be a movie. One good example of such a game is The Witcher.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
It's gameplay design for me. I don't really care about the story that much. If I want a good story, I'll read a book. In fact, if the gameplay is deep and engrossing, I'm willing to overlook pretty much everything else.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I knew the Escapist had a hard-on for story-telling in games, but it's leading the votes for the most important part? REALLY?

ManStapler

Jul 13, 2009
This should be a multiple choice, cause story got my vote, it's what I like in my games most, and it is what pulls me in to keep playing.

But then WHY AM I PLAYING MINECRAFT?

Some games I just get for the coop, others just for the fun, this pool would have way more accuracy if the vote would be on the LEAST important part of the game. Cause good coop games don't even need much of a story, cause you're having fun with friends, make one up as you go, you're not alone. But if I am alone, then it's all about the story.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
The "fun" factor. As in whether or not I'm having fun playing the game. How that fun is achieved may vary, but as long as I'm having fun, it's a good game.

Amondren

Oct 15, 2009
You need a good control scheme. Story can be good but controls are make or break if you aren't able to play the game at all because of such horrible controls then story doesn't matter and you go to Wikipedia and YouTube.

Rivers Wells

Aug 26, 2010
I don't know if any one part is the most important. A great story poorly told through gameplay ruins the story, solid gameplay through a terribly designed environment ruins gameplay, a great environment...etc. etc.

In movies, I think story is whats most important with rare exceptions where design aesthetics are just too good to ignore. With games, its more about achieving a good balance between all those factors than one in particular.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
The one thing I think of when looking at a game. Is it fun? It's not what it has, it's how it uses it.

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
I'm going with "Design" because that's the closest you've got to "gamplay" in your poll.
Story can be average, but you can still have a really fun game. Prototype, for example.

Inglip

Feb 17, 2011
Gameplay. You know, the part that makes it a game.

A game can have as good a story as it wants, if it plays like Courtney Love I ain't gonna play it.

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
Gameplay is satisfying while you're still playing the game, but it's a strong story that sticks with you once you've put down the controller.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
I assume "design" also covers gameplay. In that case, it's design for me. IMO, Gameplay > Story > a jumbled mass of all the other things.

Story is important, sure. But I think Gameplay is more important, because if a game isn't fun to play, how can you enjoy it enough to appreciate the story? When designing a singleplayer game, I think it should be gameplay first, story second (by a little way). You have to make sure the story never takes you places where gameplay is impeded or made unfun.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Design, design, for the love of Atheismo, design!! At least if gameplay is included, which it should be. I play games for the game part, if I wanted a good story I'd read a book or watch a movie, if I wanted graphics I'd go to an art gallery.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
Eh, sensible default keybindings?

What did I win?

If I look at a game and feel that certain elements were more important, its usually because the game lacked in the other areas. The most important part is the game. As in how those elements fit together and make a whole.