Poll: Movie Bob rehired?

Apr 17, 2009
anthony87 said:
All I'm seeing is that you're trying to infer your own meaning from my words.

Trust me, I'm not that complex.

My intention is quite simple.

Don't be racist.
Thing is "Don't be racist" is what that tweet you quoted is saying as well. Which is why you using it as a negative really makes you look like a racist. All about the context dude

anthony87 said:
I really don't.

Seriously, what is it with you people and trying to tell people what they mean?

My initial point has always been that I don't like racists. I think that, based on the words from the man himself, Moviebob is a racist and a supporter of eugenics and I find it interesting that people who consider themselves "progressive" find no issue with statements that are racist towards white people.
Because its not racist towards white people. Its what we keep trying to tell you. The tweet you quoted is specifically called out the idea that Making America White Again, as many boil Trump's viewpoint down into, is a stupid idea. Its a tweet specifically saying that racism is stupid, so really you should be agreeing with it. Either you're not seeing the context there, in which case your behaviour is born of ignorance, or you're deliberately choosing to ignore the context, in which case your behaviour is born of malice. Nether is a particularly great foundation for an argument. Its like I already told you, of all the tweets you could have gone for to try and make your "Bob is racist" point, you really really picked a bad one

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
Palindromemordnilap said:
...Its like I already told you, of all the tweets you could have gone for to try and make your "Bob is racist" point, you really really picked a bad one
How about "Bob is a bigot". Does that work? We can avoid the baggage that comes with terms like "racist", but still acknowledge his less-than-savory politics which I actually don't see in debate.

Full disclosure, I think he is a racist, and I explained why on the first page. I'm willing to leave it at "Bob is a bigot" if the end result is actual conversation about the abhorrence of his politics, instead of endless circular argumentation about the definition and connotation of words.

Apr 17, 2009
Eacaraxe said:
...Its like I already told you, of all the tweets you could have gone for to try and make your "Bob is racist" point, you really really picked a bad one
How about "Bob is a bigot". Does that work? We can avoid the baggage that comes with terms like "racist", but still acknowledge his less-than-savory politics which I actually don't see in debate.

Full disclosure, I think he is a racist, and I explained why on the first page. I'm willing to leave it at "Bob is a bigot" if the end result is actual conversation about the abhorrence of his politics, instead of endless circular argumentation about the definition and connotation of words.
Oh I'm not arguing he's said some questionable things. I'm just wondering why anthony87 went for one opposing racism and supporting diversity instead of one of the ones where he suggests imposing eugenics that have been floating round this topic. If your argument is "I think this guy says morally repugnant things" then picking a tweet where he calls out racism doesn't say great things about you, you know?

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
Oh I'm not arguing he's said some questionable things. I'm just wondering why anthony87 went for one opposing racism and supporting diversity instead of one of the ones where he suggests imposing eugenics that have been floating round this topic. If your argument is "I think this guy says morally repugnant things" then picking a tweet where he calls out racism doesn't say great things about you, you know?
I don't know; I can't speak for Anthony and you'll have to ask him. I can only speak for myself and proffer a way for the conversation to proceed. I can only speak for myself, which is that I see straight through Bob's fake-woke shit because I understand the politics of his positions beneath the surface.

Apr 17, 2009
Eacaraxe said:
I don't know; I can't speak for Anthony and you'll have to ask him. I can only speak for myself and proffer a way for the conversation to proceed. I can only speak for myself, which is that I see straight through Bob's fake-woke shit because I understand the politics of his positions beneath the surface.
Then I would think that bigot might be the better word if you're going to be accusing him of things. Or possibly classist if you want to be more specific about it. I don't think racist works at all because his prejudices aren't against white people as a whole but a very specific stereotype of the Trump voter as an ill-educated redneck hick broadly fitting into being lower class rather than middle or upper

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
[tweet t=https://twitter.com/russpitts/status/1023362046052712448]

welp

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I wish I did have strong objections, because then I could use a "this is the Pitts!" joke.

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
Silvanus said:
I wish I did have strong objections, because then I could use a "this is the Pitts!" joke.
I really hope this becomes the new ?This comic was a Critical Miss? for when anyone finds something moderately bad with what Russ is doing.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Silentpony said:
vallorn said:
I was amused by Susan coming back, but this is hilarious. Who even watches this washed up F grade video maker anymore?

Although him posting pro Jim Crow and pro Eugenics stuff on his twitter makes me think that whoever starts advertising here should know exactly who they are advertising beside.
I don't think many people watch his stuff. I couldn't even tell you if he does movie reviews anymore. And his politics will quickly - very quickly, get him fired. He can't help it.
I agree, Bob has very... special politics that somehow combines some of the worst policies from both Left and Right wings into one insufferable form dressed in a homemade Mario costume.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Windknight said:

welp
So it's official then. Well I like Graham and I've never heard of that other guy, but really Russ, why MovieBob??? He does not project an image that we need associated with The "New" Escapist.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
scorn the biomage said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Speak for your self! I really missed movie bob and glad he is coming back.
Well I used to like his Big Picture show when he was here, but I don't think The Escapist needs to be associated with his current toxic attitude.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Canadamus Prime said:
Windknight said:

welp
So it's official then. Well I like Graham and I've never heard of that other guy, but really Russ, why MovieBob??? He does not project an image that we need associated with The "New" Escapist.
Controversy generates views and clicks.

scorn the biomage

Say no too ethics.
Jan 21, 2012
Canadamus Prime said:
scorn the biomage said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Well I used to like his Big Picture show when he was here, but I don't think The Escapist needs to be associated with his current toxic attitude.
>Implying this site isn't already a toxic wasteland.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
scorn the biomage said:
Canadamus Prime said:
scorn the biomage said:
Canadamus Prime said:
>Implying this site isn't already a toxic wasteland.
Nooooooooooooo.... I'm implying that if Russ wants to clean up the toxic wasteland then hiring on MovieBob isn't the way to do it.
Marik2 said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Windknight said:

welp
Controversy generates views and clicks.
Of course it does....... *facedesk*

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Mmmm. I'm not sure which is better. The escapist getting back some content creators... fantastic news. Bob Chipman coming back. I didn't agree with all of his movie reviews, but I like the style and his concerns were always valid even if I was able to overlook them. The screaming and crying of the Bob haters... mmmm, delicious.

Yeah, can't determine which is the best. Sounds like we're gonna get all three, so we don't have to choose. That's the best thing about it.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Kyrian007 said:
Mmmm. I'm not sure which is better. The escapist getting back some content creators... fantastic news. Bob Chipman coming back. I didn't agree with all of his movie reviews, but I like the style and his concerns were always valid even if I was able to overlook them. The screaming and crying of the Bob haters... mmmm, delicious.

Yeah, can't determine which is the best. Sounds like we're gonna get all three, so we don't have to choose. That's the best thing about it.
Eh I don't hate Bob I hate his views, as do most sane people. So since advertisers are usually at least semi sane I'm sure they will appreciate a "Best of Moviebob's twitter feed" when they advertise on the Escapist Nuevo.