Poll: Need help picking a modern FPS game from Steam

airplanedude550

Sep 5, 2010
I'd recommend the Orange Box. It's fun, creative, and contains some of the best games I have ever played. (I just wish that Valve would give up the fantasy of developing a new engine and just make Half-Life 2: Episode 3 already!)

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Of the short List CoD4 is by far the best single player of any of them.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
Not exactly modern but I suggest Killing Floor. Great fun online zombie shooter. I personally prefer it to the Left 4 Dead games.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:

Just saying
airplanedude550 said:
I'd recommend the Orange Box. It's fun, creative, and contains some of the best games I have ever played. (I just wish that Valve would give up the fantasy of developing a new engine and just make Half-Life 2: Episode 3 already!)
katsumoto03 said:
Get the Orange Box. It's a must have for any PC gamer looking for some good FPSs.
WHAT SICK MEN THINK I ALREADY DO NOT HAVE TEAM FORTRESS 2!? LOOKS LIKE GOOD TIME TO RUN, COWARDS!

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
Well, if you're looking for a modern multiplayer experience with health bars, than you're probably going to have to drop the whole FPS thing and go for some random RTS. If you're looking for an amazing single player with health bars, than definitely go for Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl or Stalker: Call of Pripyat. There's also Day of Defeat: Source, but that's not really "modern." Your best bet would probably be CoD 4, but I'm not too sure how many people still play it. It's almost dead on the 360, and I fear it's getting there on PC.

TheXRatedDodo said:
CoD 4 is ultra realistic?
Compared to the other CoD games it is.

FireFox170

Dec 15, 2007
Get Bad Company 2. It's Awesome, cheap right now, and they have an expansion right around the corner.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
I hear Metro 2033 is pretty good, if your computer can survive it. STALKER requires patching and some people loathe it (seems to be rather polarising), but again, it's apparently good. Honestly, I'm afraid I'm just not much of an expert on FPS games. That said, allow me to suggest the Marathon trilogy [http://source.bungie.org/index.php?title=Get_Marathon]. It's not modern by ANY stretch of imagination. That said, it's good, the single player campaign (all it has, really, with multi as a poor afterthought) is pretty amazing, and it's free. Might want to try it.

Was going to recommend Bioshock, but apparently you already plan on getting that.

Oh, and F.E.A.R. is apparently set in modern times, only with psychics and robots. Or something. Never played it myself and don't intend to, but again, it's supposed to be a strong single player campaign, and from the health bar school of FPS games.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
The games were CoD 4, BlOps, Bad Company 2, or MoH.
Honestly? None of the above. If you *really* have to pick between those, I would pick Bad Company 2, but seriously, you can do a lot better. May I suggest an ArmA II game? It makes Call of Duty look like a Tom & Jerry cartoon.