Poll: Netflix Zelda Live-Action Series: Are you worried?

Nanondorf

May 6, 2014
Netflix is developing a new Legend of Zelda live-action series. What do you think? Will it be good? Will it be terrible? I expect a CDi level of calamity here. But that's just me.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
I had no idea until now, but that sounds like it could crash and burn pretty bad.

I wonder if they'll let the UK Netflix have it. I might give it a try if they do.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
There's still no confirmation (or denial) from either side that this is even a thing yet.

It would most likely be awful, but there's a chance it could be good. I'm cautiously optimistic about it, but no more. I'm definitely not in a position to vote on a Yes/No poll until I have much more info

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Considering how much video game screen adaptations usually suck, I'd say the only risk is being positively surprised.

feeback06

Sep 14, 2010
I'm not going to vote in the poll since we have very little information. Honestly I'd be surprised if anything become of this at all.

ObserverStatus

Aug 27, 2014
Netflix compared it to Game of Thrones. After Marco Polo, I have grave reservations about any attempt they make to copy that formula.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I'm worried about it, if only because Zelda's one of those series where it can be VERY easy to screw it up. That said, I think Netflix is going to give it the best shot they have.

leberkaese

May 16, 2014
There's a risk of it being not too good. Video game adaptations are always risky. Either it's too close to the original game (stories in games often don't work in a movie/show) or it's too far away from it (and it will feel like an abstract interpretation of the game, like Super Mario Bros. movie).

But until know, Netflix had at least 'decent' quality in its show up to 'arguably the best show this year'. So I'll trust them to do at least okay.
A much more important question: will it be targeted at kids for selling them new Zelda games or will it be targeted at grown ups that grew up with Zelda. If the former will be the case, the show will suck anyway...

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm not worried... I KNOW it'll be shit.

Plus I have no stake in this -- If it is shit (which it will be) I can just go play Wind Waker.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I'm guessing it will probably have a lot of effort thrown into it, but I would still be surprised if it actually turns out good. I'm leaning towards "watchable" or "not terrible" at best.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Considering we know nothing about it, and they don't even have a writer for the show it's barely even an idea at this point, so it's impossible to say whether it'll be good.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
I want a Metroid show that fully embraces how bleak life can feel being alone on a planet with nothing but hostiles.

Or base it off the manga which was amazing

As for Zelda make each season follow a different Era of the timeline. Or start it at Skyward Sword before or after the games story

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
I'll be very disappointed if the show does not feature a Link whose lines're made up entirely of "YEEEEH", "*GASP*", "HUT", and "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH".

Yeah, it's not what I considered a TV-showable series.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I have tremendous reservations about this.

I often find it difficult to convince myself that flawed adaptations shouldn't reflect badly on the source material. I know there's no good reason they should, but the dirty feeling is still there.

Aerevolt

Jan 11, 2011
ObserverStatus said:
Netflix compared it to Game of Thrones. After Marco Polo, I have grave reservations about any attempt they make to copy that formula.
Seconded on the failings of Marco Polo. It really should have just been called Kublai and presented as his story. Marco is barely in the show and is such a Mary Sue. (Allegedly a lot of the crazy things he does really happened)

As for Legend of Zelda...
will it be based on one of the games, or be a new iteration. I see potential (could it really be worse than the cartoon).
But does it really HAVE to be like game of thrones? I don't need another dark gritty serious show.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wait really? I thought Nintendo was uptight when it come to giving others their property?

It was why we never saw anymore of this-

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Truth be told, I could see this working, but only if they use the setting as a basis rather than any of the games themselves. As in, have a story within Hyrule, but make it its own thing, and heck, don't have Link in it.

Much as I love the LoZ series, let's face it, many of the games wouldn't translate well to TV or movie format, given that they're effectively driven by item acquisition. Course there's story as well, but do we really want 30 mins per episode of Link going to get (insert item here) while companion (insert companion of choice here) shouts "hey, listen!" throughout the episode?

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
None of it it's confirmed and it's probably not happening so I don't really care.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
If it does actually happen, it'll almost certainly be bad.

The only video game adaptation I've ever enjoyed was the first Silent Hill movie. I found it legitimately creepy. I also like Scott Pilgrim, but I don't know if that really counts.