Poll: New Doctor Who - what should they change?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
ravenshrike said:
Gordon_4 said:
What's springing to my mind is some serious fucking retcons or ass-pulls are going to need to be made unless they can pin down the next Doctor for like a decade: this will be Regeneration 12, the last one.

I mean when they put this in after William Hartnell left, they probably didn't think they'd get that far.
'cept in The Doctor's Wife IIRC the TARDIS said there were something like 32 internal main console configurations left that he had yet to use. So with the latest change that leaves 31.
Well, he could go through a lot in a short time.

You'll notice that when Clara goes into his timeline and sees all his regenerations he'd had before he died, that's just him, the previous doctors, and one John Hurt. Not even a Valeyard to be seen.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Change the show runner, make him a her (All male doctors so far. Would be interesting to see a female one for once), and make the new doctor a little less hyperactive. Matt Smith often put a bit too much energy into his doctor character to me.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
As long as they get rid of Steven Moffat then the only way forward is up!
Seriously, they could have Nicolas Cage or Tommy Wiseau as the next Doctor for all I care (actually come to think of it, both of those ideas sound awesome!) but getting rid of Moffat would be a massive improvement! There's only so much "Power of Love" and Companion-Takeover that I can take!

doggy go 7

Jul 28, 2010
Quaxar said:
This poll is awful. No "make him ginger" option? Booo!

And apart from that, I agree with the general consensus that the only thing that is really in need of change is Moffat's position.
So this it's not even funny. I simply fail to understand how Moffat can write some of the best Doctor Who episodes of the David Tennant era, write Sherlock, and then shit all over Matt Smith. And he must be ginger.

As for what I want most, I'm not certain about the cannon, but I think it's implied that male time lords stay male, and female one's stay female, so that's not an important one for me. A more serious doctor might be nice, but I think that's got more to do with the scripts than the people playing them (Eccelston was all sorts of gritty goodness, and Tennant could have his darker moments).

Basically fuck Moffat, and bring someone else in who can make it an all round show again.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
doggy go 7 said:
As for what I want most, I'm not certain about the cannon, but I think it's implied that male time lords stay male, and female one's stay female, so that's not an important one for me.
One of mention of the Corsair changing sex during regenerations.

And yeah, seems Moffat needs RTD to edit his scripts.

LittleWings

May 17, 2010
I honestly think a female Doctor would be interesting for about three episodes... There's no real reason to do it other than "oh look its a woman now!". Plus it doesn't make a lot of sense to me anyway, that Time Lord gender changes through regeneration. Are you telling me that Romana could have regenerated into a male Time Lord? I dunno, it just seems a bit off.

That being said if a female actor is right for the part then I don't really mind, I just don't want a big thing about him being a her and possibly choosing the wrong person for the part because they wanted something different.

A black actor/ non- Caucasian actor would be fine. I mean, I don't see that as a thing that was ever out of the question physiologically, after all it's only skin deep.

While it would be nice for an older actor to come along and the show to become much more sci-fi again... I don't know, I can't see that happening. I think they'd lose too many fans, so we're probably going to be stuck with the standard format of the show as it is...

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Joanna Lumley should be The Doctor....again.

Or Rowan Atkinson!

I'd like there to be at least one official female Doctor and I think they will make the final iteration of the character ginger, just so his/her/it's first words are 'Finally! Ginger!'. I wouldn't be suprised if they made the next Doctor a kid though, gave him a dog and some groovy companions and turned it in to Scooby Who.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
I think Doctor Who needs to mix some elements of Torchwood into it. Slightly more serious, slightly darker but still distinctly Doctor Who. Mind you I haven't really seen much of the 11th Doctor, I missed Smith's entire second series and only saw the first episode of the current series.

I'd like to see a black doctor. That'd be interesting. I'd also quite like to see the core idea of Eccleston's Doctor, the damaged war veteran, expanded on. I think that there was a lot of the 9th Doctor still to be explored and it's a shame they didn't carry on his story for a while longer.

Gidiel167

May 13, 2009
After rewatching the earlier 9th and 10th doctor runs, i REALLY REALLY just want them to get rid of Moffatt.

but as to the poll, make him older and make the episodes a bit more darker. OH and bring back two episode story lines.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
sanquin said:
Change the show runner, make him a her (All male doctors so far. Would be interesting to see a female one for once), and make the new doctor a little less hyperactive. Matt Smith often put a bit too much energy into his doctor character to me.
Matt smith was channeling the second doctor, when you see that guy in action it kinda makes you go "ohhhhhh." He's the smartest guy in the room, but he's for sure got a degree in clowning.

As I understand it, tennant was channeling number 4, arguably one of the best.

Whether you like the character or not, one of my favorite things about smith is that he was his own character. A lot of the stories suck, though, as was previously mentioned: there are some gems, but I found shows like "the beast below" and a whole slew of others to be too campy even for who.

I'd like to see the target audience kicked up from wide eyed 8 year old to 14 1\2.

Subscriptism

May 5, 2012
Durzo_Blint said:
Change the show runner. Show's sucked since Steven Moffatt got the top job (which I always felt was a real shame since Matt Smith could have far outshone David Tennant if he'd had better stories)
I completely disagree. I think it's exactly the other way around. Moffat is a fantastic writer and the show has never been better since he took over. I hope he stays around because the worst episode he has written has been at least twice as good as Davies best.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I really don't like the idea of a woman actor or a or a 'minority' actor to play the Doctor. The Doctor was and is a male Galifreyan, and I'd like that to be how it stays, personally. If there is someone who is great for the part, but not a white male, then that actor should be given a part as a timelord/ villain/companion, but not the Doctor. I know, I know, an alien race and all that, could morph/regenerate into any race/sex, but still- I feel that it would be a change for shallow shock value only, and wouldn't like it at all.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Flatfrog said:
I'd agree with this - while being completely baffled by it, since during the RTD days, Moffat's scripts were uniformly the best. I was totally expecting him to take it over and make it awesome, and instead it's been a total mess. I can scarcely watch it, although I keep hanging in there.

I wonder if Gatiss might do a better job, but I'm nervous that the same thing would happen.
This is EXACTLY what I've thought for ages. Moffat was great at single episodes, but it's like he just can't string an overarching plot together or something. The last few seasons have kind of been a soap in space.

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
i either want Gary Oldman or Martin Freeman to do the part. thought. mostly Oldman seeing how Freeman already have a lot of iconic geek characters on his resume.

if who gets girly parts then i hope those parts are attavched to helena bonham carter. because she is awesome and contain enough crazy to pull of a doctor with perfection.

as for personality. i don't care just as long as they make him still kinda weird and he doesn't quite know how to use the gadgets in his tardis.

I Max95

Mar 23, 2009
i think they need a female Doctor, time and time again they misrepresent female characters (this only getting worse during the moffat years)

what they need to do is make the Doctor female (temporarily if it's that important to them) and change nothing about the Doctor's personality, maneurisms and tendencies, that would at least solve some of the problems