Poll: New forum rules - Yay or Nay?

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
ShadowKatt said:
CM156 said:
Come to think of it, does it go away on its own? I think we need an e-lawyer.
And even when applying for jobs, they ask you if you have ever been charged with a crime, so my hunch is no.
Actually, after the infraction is expunged from your record, whether it be on a resume, application, or interview, once that charge leaves your criminal record you no longer have to disclose it. At least in the US, I can't speak for other countries.

Other examples of the same judiciary practices would be Bankruptcy and Foreclosure, after several years, 7 I believe, it's wiped off your credit report and can no longer be held against you legally.

Not meant to derail the topic, but that's helpful information that people can use.
Thank you, that was very helpful.

OT: This happens with every new change on a website. Remember on Red vs Blue a few years back where they got rid of the ?mod points? system? There was about a week of whining and moaning, and then, about 85% of the people who said they were going to leave stayed, and things went back to normal. I forsee that here.

Drexlor

Feb 23, 2010
This won't be a problem for me because I have never recieved a warning and I really don't plan to, but I hate the idea that the strikes NEVER go away.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Drexlor said:
This won't be a problem for me because I have never recieved a warning and I really don't plan to, but I hate the idea that the strikes NEVER go away.
As do we. Feel free to join our group. We just want a fair go.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Escapists-against-the-machine
-Tabs<3-

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Daedalus1942 said:
Drexlor said:
As do we. Feel free to join our group. We just want a fair go.
-Tabs<3-
I believe Sevre made a post about the 'permanent' probation, here it is.
Whether or not it's relieving, up to you.

Sevre said:
The moderation on this site is for the benefit of the users, site statistics show almost 90% of you have never gotten more than a few warnings, as a result you shouldn't have any trouble.

The 8 strike system is to make it easier for trolls to be banned, however the system won't be used against normal users in the same way. If you're on level 5 because you were a naughty child two years ago, we'll take the 2 years of quality posting into account.

Ultimately this system is new and we'll tweak it as necessary, it shouldn't stop you from enjoying everything this site has to offer, so don't worry about it.

Steppin Razor

Dec 15, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
EDIT: And for the record I'm not mad simply because this new system has put me on probation. Maybe that's justified, I'm not sure. The reason I'm mad is becuase I don't know why. I'd expect a message explaining what I did and why it received this punishment but no such one exists. I don't get how you expect people to improve if you don't even inform them of why their profile has a certain moderation level. Hell you could easily continue posting on this site for months and not once look at your own profile to see it.
Have you ever been probated or suspended before? Because the new system is based off your old record, so if you've ever had one of those then you start off in the permament probation area. It's why I have one warning against me, even though I got it months ago.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Sevre said:
The moderation on this site is for the benefit of the users, site statistics show almost 90% of you have never gotten more than a few warnings, as a result you shouldn't have any trouble.

The 8 strike system is to make it easier for trolls to be banned, however the system won't be used against normal users in the same way. If you're on level 5 because you were a naughty child two years ago, we'll take the 2 years of quality posting into account.

Ultimately this system is new and we'll tweak it as necessary, it shouldn't stop you from enjoying everything this site has to offer, so don't worry about it.
When and how? Because I feel like I've been a relatively good person after those first few months...

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
I really don't like the direction this site has been taking with it's community for a long time. It feels like The Escapist staff has been trying to make a forum that's safe for all ages with very limited emotion or feeling. Yes, you forum regulars like to talk about how you guys are the last bastion of the Internet and what not, but I really don't feel suppressing people being jerks and such is the right way to do that. It's better to have the community of a site set its own tone, rather than have the staff set it for them.

Now keep in mind this is my first post under these new rules and I have yet to see them, but that's my 2 cents.

EDIT: After reading the rules, they don't seem all that bad. I don't really like the health meter idea, but I don't think it will be abused or anything, so w/e. I doubt it will effect me or anything.

SillyBear

May 10, 2011
HG131 said:
Also, pedophilia is not illegal.
Ah, this old chestnut.

Talking about paedophilia can and will incite law enforcement to take investigatory measures and can lead to judicial action. I assume The Escapist doesn't want that.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
I would really like for someone to explain to me why admitting to using an ad blocker is some kind of punishable offense. I understand the economics of websites with advertising and such but really you guys don't think this is a bit of a overreaction on your part?

The way I see it is if you guys are going to punish people for admitting to using an ad blocker then there better not be a single Escapist staff member, paid or otherwise, that uses them regardless if they admit to it or not. Anything less would simply reek of hypocrisy.

I honestly would like to be assured that there is no Escapist staff that employs the use of any sort of ad blocker while surfing the web nor are there any ad blockers on any computer that might be property of The Escapist. Or are you simply telling your members to do as you say not as you do?

Ris

Mar 31, 2011
Hmmm...

alright, checked them. I'm not keen on the health meter for reasons already stated in the OP, but I think the rest is perfectly fair. I've been really content with the way the forums have been moderated up until now anyway, so if someone felt that the rules needed updating then I trust their judgment.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Pfft, new rules these are not. It's really just a more in-depth description of what the 'code of conduct' has been in the past few months. Fuck all has changed really, now it's just a lot less vague. This is an improvement, but the system is still largely broken.

The biggest change is not including, advocating or linking to "Illegal Drugs" because the Escapist community is probably one of the biggest groups of pot heads in the gaming community, or at least the most vocal. Last night I remember two threads on cannabis, and there seems to be at least one of these threads every week. This will have interesting results, and probably cause the most rage from the community, if it's actually enforced, which I doubt.

I disagree with the warning system. I think it's good that you now know when someone has been warned for a certain behaviour, but I think that the warnings themselves are pointless. If the people give a shit about posting here, and they know that the mods hand out 1-3 days bans like candy, they're going to try to avoid that negative behaviour because they want to post. If the punishment they receive is still going to let them post, nothing is taken away and the punishment is nothing. I understand the role of probation is so that people continue to post and show what they got into trouble for, but the result of this is also having people show what you can get away with and still continue to post. It's basically a bar saying "If I'm this much of a jerk I don't have anything taken away", which is in my opinion a broken system.

If people don't care about posting and are just here to troll and be a jerk, then that means they don't need to be brought to mod attention 5+ times before they're kicked out.

The mods also need to be more consistent, I feel that too many of them have personal ideas on what constitutes a jerk. Maybe an Anime fan will ban someone for posting "Anime is shit" but not care if they post "Glam Rock is shit" because they agree with that statement.

The problem really is is that a large number of people on the Internet are jackasses (maybe even myself?) who feel the need to be assertive over people, attack their opinions, act aggressively and be a general jerk. You can't fight these people by telling them to stop, you need to place a clear and negative consequence for their actions. Right now The Escapist just isn't doing that, and that's what is causing problems.

Also, I have to laugh at those who say "I've been a model poster and have a perfect record except for a couple of warnings, and now I don't have a perfect record, this is so BULLSHIT!" Moron, if you were a model poster than you wouldn't have those warnings, and you don't have a perfect record.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
maddawg IAJI said:
Daedalus1942 said:
maddawg IAJI said:
The Incredible Bulk said:
maddawg IAJI said:
The Incredible Bulk said:
A dude in this thread put "test" to see the new rules I assume. He got a warning for it...CASE IN POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
He would have gotten a warning before the update. Low-content posts have always been against the rules.
That I understand though personally I think "low content warnings" are absolutely asinine. My problem is: the poor guy was testing to READ YOUR NEW RULES and you gave him a warning for it.
And there is a stuck thread on the front page of this very forum with a link to it. He didn't need to post to view it. If he feels he was mistreated, he can send in an appeal.
Daedalus1942 said:
maddawg IAJI said:
Chibz said:
maddawg IAJI said:
He would have gotten a warning before the update. Low-content posts have always been against the rules.
My biggest complaint is that I'm being repunished for past infractions. Repunished, of course, in such a way that will NEVER go away. It can never be undone. This actually makes it one of the least forgiving set of laws/rules possible.

I'm pretty close to just throwing up my arms and 'leaving' over this.
Well its only been implemented because people don't seem to get the memo no matter how many warnings we set out. Even before I became a mod, I saw several users making low-content post after low-content post.

If you put enough effort into your posts and follow the rules then you won't have to worry about them.
That's a copout.
I was told by ZombiesInc and Greyfox that if I was good enough for long enough, I could eventually become a moderator myself, and yet.. now with this new health meter, that's just not going to happen.
Everyone will see my previous infractions from a year ago and judge me to be unfit as a moderator.
And people wonder why so many are leaving the Escapist.

-Tabs<3-
Because you got a probation? Really? Ultrajoe use to be banned and he became a mod. Don't you think you're jumping the gun a little?
I have previous suspensions too. That's my point. They're over a year old but it doesn't change the fact that people will just judge me and not even give me a chance.
What ever happened to the fair and decent Escapist I used to know?
-Tabs<3-
If someone judges you based on a health bar, then they have problems of their own. The Health bar isn't there to tell other users "Psst, this person is a trouble maker", its there to tell each user how many chances they have left.
If that is the case, why make it available for public viewing? Why not keep it confidential between Mod and User and not let another user judge them for it?

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I like the visable meter. Sometimes ive been left to wonder if I was being considered for violation and just didnt know. So having an Additional tool, is a good thing.

I understand the need for structure in rules, but I am not so keen on seeing things like, there is no burn off period for accrued points. Just seems lame that someone might end up getting early hit with 7 infractions in short order, then go a year with only 1 occurrence avail, then slip up and be booted out. Sure that is a rare exception to a rule, but still, it can happen.

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
Nouw said:
I believe Sevre made a post about the 'permanent' probation, here it is.
Whether or not it's relieving, up to you.

Sevre said:

Well that's some good news, at least they're acknowledging it looks unbalanced on paper. Because my one interaction with a mod counts as 4 warnings for some reason now.

I just really don't think they need to worry about being harder on trolls. If they wiped the system clean now, those trolls would still be gone within a short time. The whole thing that makes them trolls is they consistently post things they shouldn't. If they stopped doing that to not get banned, they stopped being trolls.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I like the forum health meter. It lets me know how many infractions I have committed and how many I have left until I am banned. I think it is an excellent idea and hopefully will help people follow the rules.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
I know for a fact that my opinion is tainted by the fact that I haven't seen ads on this site in ages, but it makes perfect sense to have the adblock policy.

If you don't want to cough up 15 dollars to remove the ads, you can at least keep your mouth shut. I abide by the rule, and I'm not even sure it applies to pub club members.