Poll: New forum rules - Yay or Nay?

mageroel

Jan 25, 2010
gbemery said:
mageroel said:
I have just read the entire set of rules, and indeed it seems a bit harsh for the perma-probation thing. I noticed something at the end though:

"After every 6 months without any warnings, you will drop down one level on the Forum Health Meter. After 2 years without any warnings, your meter will be returned to 0, regardless of where it was before."

Seems like there IS a way to "drop down one level", meaning probation will possibly last 6 months, and not indefinitely.
hmm either i didn't read that part or they added it in after. but now that i see that I really don't have an issue anymore. I have been here for over a year and only got one warning for a low content post...and oddly enough still have that warning against me for some odd reason meh.

EDIT- though I still don't like the idea to a certain extent because mods are different from each other in what they find "breaks" the rules etc. what one might let slide another might warn like crazy for. Plus what if the mod is having a bad day or week? The appeals process is crap in my opinion because when i tried to appeal the warning I got I never received any reply.
*EDIT*
I just had to agree to the rules again... I haven't posted in a while, maybe it's an outdated version? Or alternatively, it is the right page but I have to agree again to make sure I read them or something? o_O

I think that's because they started counting from this moment, or at least the moment you agreed to these rules. Though it seems strange that these rules are retro-active... Imagine banning, say, threads about Halo being better than (x=genericgame), and then retro-actively banning each and every starter of those threads.

Also, there will always, and I mean ALWAYS, be a human factor to this. Human factor also means human mood. But, seeing as being made a mod isn't done without reason and to anyone, I think it's safe to say those who are chosen are usually professional enough not to let their mood get to them.

The Moehlinator

Mar 25, 2011
Coming late to this party....

I am not going to read all....1196 replies, so if I am saying the same thing someone else is, forgive me.

I like some of the changes....I agree that there should be some sort of way to deplete your 'health meter' (which, incidentally, sounds backwards....but whatever) back to safe levels, but that is a minor concern for me. I am here just to socialize with like minded individuals and have a good time....not a very aggressive person. I feel for the people who are near the max of the warning system because of low content posts when they first joined....that seems unfair. You learn your lesson, pay your debt to society, and you all move on.

gbemery

Jun 27, 2009
The Moehlinator said:
Coming late to this party....

I am not going to read all....1196 replies, so if I am saying the same thing someone else is, forgive me.
well at least you know that if you ever were nearly bored to death and had absolutely nothing better to do and didn't actually feel like going through with the whole "dying" aspect that there is something to pass the time with...but I would imagine you would have had to been to the other side of the internet and back before you got to that point.

mageroel said:
I think that's because they started counting from this moment, or at least the moment you agreed to these rules. Though it seems strange that these rules are retro-active... Imagine banning, say, threads about Halo being better than (x=genericgame), and then retro-actively banning each and every starter of those threads.

Also, there will always, and I mean ALWAYS, be a human factor to this. Human factor also means human mood. But, seeing as being made a mod isn't done without reason and to anyone, I think it's safe to say those who are chosen are usually professional enough not to let their mood get to them.
yeah my warning has been a long time ago. I agree with someone else or multiple people who said it should be a clean slate if they are going to tally them up like this even if they are forgiven in 6 months or so.

Yeah human factor has always been there. When I posted my LCP there were like ten other LCPs that never got probation but I did. So maybe the mod that day was pissed :/

Vallds

Nov 18, 2009
Well, I rarely seem to stray in to the wrong on any site or forum, not through lack of trying mind you, so not really concerned here.

You do bad, you do bad, simple enough?

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Kross said:
Cheat codes.
Right...

Were that to come from anyone else would it be considered a low content post? If you don't want to answer my question, don't reply. No need to be rude. Besides, the question was why, not how.

mageroel

Jan 25, 2010
gbemery said:
-snip-

Yeah human factor has always been there. When I posted my LCP there were like ten other LCPs that never got probation but I did. So maybe the mod that day was pissed :/
Or, more likely, the mods didn't see the other threads, or found those less offensive of the forum rules at the time. I'm not sure what could have happened there, but I'm pretty sure the mods don't see every single thread. Did you report the other LCP's?

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
I don't remember seeing any popup announcing a change in the rules...

But frankly, this is all just more evidence that the Escapist is going to the dogs.

jml spells jumle

Oct 15, 2010
Caliostro said:
jml spells jumle said:
Why did I get a warning for this? I was agreeing with them instead of posting the same thing.
Please read the rules [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/codeofconduct]. Particularly the part about "Low Content Posts". A reason is, also, always included in the warning/probation/suspension, so you can refer to that.
But I was going to post the same thing anyway, just word it differently. I could have posted it, but there would be no point, someone else posted it and I was agreeing.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
jml spells jumle said:
But I was going to post the same thing anyway, just word it differently. I could have posted it, but there would be no point, someone else posted it and I was agreeing.
If someone else already said it, and you have nothing else to add, why say anything at all then? If you're elaborating on what's already said, then go ahead. If you're just parroting someone else then it's just noise. They've said it already.

jml spells jumle

Oct 15, 2010
Caliostro said:
jml spells jumle said:
If someone else already said it, and you have nothing else to add, why say anything at all then? If you're elaborating on what's already said, then go ahead. If you're just parroting someone else then it's just noise. They've said it already.
I'm meant to state my opinion on it though, aren't I?

Dasrufken

Dec 1, 2010
didnt even notice the rule change.

Now that I have I can easily say meh, except for the part about offensive posts since anything can be offensive towards anyone...

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
jml spells jumle said:
I'm meant to state my opinion on it though, aren't I?
But it's not your opinion. It's someone else's opinion word for word. Besides, you're meant to discuss the topic, which you necessarily need to do with your opinion, but if you're not gonna add anything to the topic, then, as I mentioned before, posting just to say anything is rather pointless no? You're not adding anything.

"Stating your opinion" is a mean, not an end.

If you want to understand why the rule is in place, imagine trying to have a conversation with a friend, each of surrounded by a few hundreds or thousands of people, and everytime one of you says something, people start replying with stuff like "yeah", "I agree", "what he said" at random intervals. You'll soon realize that any conversation like that is impossible. The "noise to signal" ratio becomes absurd.

Hope that cleared it up.

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
Some rules I don't like, some I do.

Checked my profile:
"Forum Health
You have a clean record. Excellent job, citizen!"

Indeed. Vault City prevails!

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
I haven't been warned or something, so I'm good. It's not really important to me, since I am a law-abiding citizen engineerperson already.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Wanda Clamshucker said:
That's an exaggeration of something that plainly isn't happening. It is perfectly acceptable, and routine, in a conversation to simply say "I agree", or chuckle (the web version would be an emote or LOL) or any number of things. Suggesting that every line of every conversation needs meaningful, insightful input is ridiculous. Do you, in the course of your day, have this occur in real life 365 days of the year, with everyone you speak with?

Why then is this surreality extended here and enforced with such punitive rigidity? Giving someone a warning (which could grow to probation and a ban) for doing something similar in a conversation really is over-reaching sensibility.

Your logic is flawed. Its simply an exercise to justify the absurd.
And yet it's the rules.

There are a myriad of differences between written and oral communication, here are even more differences once you consider context, which guarantee that both types of communication can not be held under the same standards. In a normal conversation with your friends, for once, it would be rather unacceptable, or at least impolite and confusing, to reply to someone 6 hours later without a word in between, amongst other things.

The purpose of these forums is to debate and share ideas and topics. It's meant for constructive and meaningful discussions. Spam, inane posts, or posts with no content have no place here. They're detrimental to thoughtful discussions and just serve to add noise. If you don't like that we apologize but that's the way it is. Nobody is forcing you to use these forums, but if you do, you have to follow the rules.