Poll: New Vegas: which faction did you chose?

Unsilenced

Oct 19, 2009
ruedyn said:
Unsilenced said:
I don't remember the child slavery thing, but as for the torture and rape, i'm pretty sure that the NCR does it too, they are just being more subtle. Crucifixion is evil certainly, but apears to be pretty affective considering they managed to stabilize Arizona, which Raul assures me was quite the shithole. Also my courior was a female, and not many objected to me wearing their armor. I'm not sure if they are sexist considering the females were taken from tribes, which in all likelihood didn't allow them to be warriors. The only thing i'm not sure of is their leadership. I certainly like Caesar, but Lanius I'm not sure about, though he is an... efficient military leader.
NCR has a no-torture policy, though occasionally a lower officer will break it (in the game the courier can be hired to beat info out of Legion Centurion.) Rape... well it probably happens. Crimes happen, but they have laws against it. In the Legion, they're SUPPOSED to rape.

Child slavery... well what do you think they do with captured children? Sure they kill some, but the rest have to be slaves. The Legion doesn't usually just take in captures. There's even a mission where you can free some children taken as slaves by the Legion, and if you offer to buy them there's a remark about how one of the children is "a little young" but would otherwise make a good sex slave.

Oh, and they are sexist. Women are property, and unless there's a man that would object to it (like a husband) they will be raped. One of the slaves remarks that they usually leave alone women who are very old or very young. Then she pauses, looks to the side and repeats, "usually."

Yeah. They rape little girls.

But hey, I guess smoking's bad too, right?

EDIT: As another note, if you're a female courier, one of the slaves will also inform you that she heard some legionaries talking about "trying you out." Soooo... yeah. Rapists.

Indecipherable

Mar 21, 2010
ruedyn said:
Indecipherable said:
I'm replaying right now and they are stupendously sexist. When you are invited to meet Caesar the man who introduces himself in New Vegas says he can't believe that Caesar would invite a woman to meet him.
That sounds like one example. Any more, because an aside from a single guy doesn't sound like stupendous.
I think the person above said it enough, but they condone rape and take female prisoners. There's occaisional banter between the legion warriors about checking out the new female slaves too, and although they don't directly say "hey lets go rape them", it's thoroughly implied. I'm guessing they avoid blatantly saying it for the ratings thing.

If condoning rape and enslavement of women doesn't make you sexist, then I don't think it's worth trying to explain it further to you.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
NCR and Proud!
The NCR isn't perfect, but it provides the most good to the most people and is trying to make things better for those under its flag. House only wants to help House, forgive me if I do not trust mythical trickle down economics to save the wasteland. The Legion is evil, there isn't any other way to view them.
If you want to get into who has some kind of a legal right to annex the lands then that would be either Mr house, due to his ownership of the Strip and agreements with the NCR, or the NCR, due to their agreements with the Desert Rangers.

gideonkain

Nov 12, 2010
I sided with the Yes Man because Mr. House was misleading as to what he really was (an AI), the NCR were trying to force their rule on people, the Legion was just a psycho band of weirdos.

Konatacalypse

Dec 30, 2010
I supported the legion in 5 of my play throughs. House in 3. And NCR/Independant one each.

Can we get an all option?

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
First time I was gonna go NCR, then it became impossible for me to complete a quest without killing the Brotherhood of Steel since there is no single dialogue option for the new leader. So I went independent.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
NCR got to hand to the only known post apocalyptic civilization that has a police force for it's communities.

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
Honestly, I do think the best hope for long-term civilization in the Nevada lies with Caeser's legion.

That said, I still picked independant because I find Pax Romana a little creepy.

Come to think of it, next time I play NV I think Ill side with the legion just for kicks.

Unsilenced

Oct 19, 2009
Saladfork said:
Honestly, I do think the best hope for long-term civilization in the Nevada lies with Caeser's legion.

That said, I still picked independant because I find Pax Romana a little creepy.

Come to think of it, next time I play NV I think Ill side with the legion just for kicks.
Slavery, rape, and rampant hypocrisy are the best hope for mankind?

Wut?

FateOrFatality

Mar 27, 2010
erttheking said:
When it comes to factions, Besthesda games really loves to aim for the grey and gray morality, all sides have a point.
Really? I'm a big fan of Bethesda games, but I don't think factions with ambiguous moral stances is really their strong point. I'd struggle to think of many neutral factions in Oblivion and Fallout 3, and Skyrim is fairly black and white except for the main civil war factions. Blades vs. Mythic Dawn, Brotherhood vs. Super Mutants/Raiders/Enclave, Blades vs. Dragons - that's all pretty straight up good against evil sort of stuff.

OT: I did a lot of different play throughs of NV, but I think the first faction (and probably the one repeated most often) was the NCR. Say all you want about corruption and incompetence, the NCR have gotten a lot more shit done than anyone else in the wastelands.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
I've played the game a few times, and I've sided with everyone... except the Legion. I just can't bring myself to do it. I hate raiders, slaving scumbags like them, so as much as I try, I just enjoy killing them a lot better.

Loki J

Nov 12, 2009
SajuukKhar said:
Ragsnstitches said:
House spend well over a century plotting the salvation of mankind, he was a man of business and practicality and rejected moral persuasion and compassion, feeling the end justified the means. I can't see how the "upstarts" (NCR, LEGION, Courier) could have swayed the man... he saw himself as the one hope for mankind, and everything else a problem to overcome...

A compromise would have gone against his very meaning as a character in the game. I wouldn't like that choice... I though the choice you faced after making the decision to go against him was powerful.
Kill him and undo all of his work, or make him watch all he strived for be torn down by you.
When I sided with NCR I felt riddled with guilt, eventually playing for independant new vegas after getting further up into their military chain and seeing how corrupted and strong armed their means to control were. Also, kimbell was a dick...

After playing through lonesome road I found it added a lot of depth to the decision, which is a shame since it came after most people had played through the game...
Considering Obsidian's normal operation procedure is "make characters that seem really focused on goals yet you are able to sway them to something else in 3-4 dialog skill checks"

I wouldn't have found it surprising.
I disliked the Legion from my very first encounter with them in Nipton. I killed all of them I found after that, and killed Caesar in my first encounter with him (after a couple reloads, that is).
I did a couple missions for NCR outposts where it suited me, but I never liked the NCR leaders so I didn't do anything they asked me to.
House impressed me with his vision and drive, and this was my first choice, though I didn't particularly like the ending after I had made the choice.
I reloaded a save far enough back to take the independent path, and this was the ending that satisfied me; why shouldn't I be in charge? I'm the player, and I was sick of running errands for everyone, from mindless fetch quests to wiping out other's enemies for them. I had bargained with or killed off (alone!) everyone with power and ambition in Vegas and all that was left were those who actually gave a crap about me, the region, and people. This was the only ending that left me with the daydream of how I would run the region, something on my terms and not another's. This felt like the only choice in the entire game that really mattered.

BlueberryMUNCH

Apr 15, 2010
See, I wanted to do a Caesar's playthrough. Did loads of stuff for them...but I return to their fort and they all attack me. I murdered them all.
The NCR hated me too for trying to side with Caesar, so I killed them all too.
...so yeah.

Reaaaalllyyy wasn't a fan of NV at all tbh.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
gideonkain said:
I sided with the Yes Man because Mr. House was misleading as to what he really was (an AI), the NCR were trying to force their rule on people, the Legion was just a psycho band of weirdos.
House wasn't an AI, though...

SEXTON HALE

Apr 12, 2012
The NCR just seemed like the best choice to me.
Legion were assholes.
Mr house was a prick
and independant just seemed like a bad idea.
I had no desire to become a tyranical ruler again.
Not after all the other times.hard

Unsilenced

Oct 19, 2009
>>Caesar's Legion
>>Honest

Eheh.

You do know Caesar actually claims to be the son of Mars, right? That's not in any way a small lie. Most of his troops don't know that there ever was an original Roman Empire. He is their god-king. Not the same thing as an open and transparent government. Saying you're a god and all when he's really just some missionary who figured he'd rather be a god than a soldier of one.

He lies about the whereabouts of the burned man, saying he's dead and punishing anyone who dares speak otherwise. Meanwhile, he sends secret assassins to go kill the burned man who, yeah, he kind of fucking knows is still alive.

He hides from his troops that he is ill, to the point where he nearly dies of brain cancer.

These aren't exactly honest things that the Legion is doing.

Also, you really did just say that child rape was better than smoking. You would actually rather that people rape and enslave small children than smoke cigarettes.

I...

I just don't what to say to you about that. It's just such an absolute abomination of logic that I have no choice but to stare shell-shocked at the stupidity that stands before me.

Here. I'll let youtube say it for me. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAOxY_nHdew]