Poll: Nickelodeon, are they throwing away the classics? except spongebob?

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Of course they've thrown out the old shows - that's what you do when you run out of ideas (if you're smart anyway). I see people talking about spongebob and things like that and I have to raise an eyebrow. The Nicktoons from when I was a young enough to admit to watching nick without embarassment were Rugrats, Rocko's Modern Life and Ren & Stimpy - all of which have been off the air for ages. I was half-way through elementary school before there were even nick toons.

The last nick toons to be released before I stopped wathing the network was Hey Arnold! And AHHH! Real Monsters. I didn't care for them much (I don't know if anybody really did).

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
we're all getting old and nothing seems as good as it was when we were kids. 20 years from now, people will complain that nothing on tv is as good as "total drama somethingorother" or whatever's on cartoon network before adult swim now.

kommunizt kat

Jul 8, 2009
cobra_ky said:
we're all getting old and nothing seems as good as it was when we were kids. 20 years from now, people will complain that nothing on tv is as good as "total drama somethingorother" or whatever's on cartoon network before adult swim now.
However, I still think adult swim is partially decent, dont like most of the anime though... needs more hentai

Firebolt227

Apr 18, 2009
It would be nice for them to come back, however, they would start with a new writer and animator and would most likely ruin the good memories we have of those shows.

Ninonybox_v1legacy

Apr 2, 2008
Randothepally said:
I do miss the old ones like Invader Zim, Ren and Stimpy and Hey Arnold!.All they really show is Real Life Drama type shows, Like H20.

I believe that It's good and bad. Good because the newer audience won't miss what they never knew, but bad for somebody that watched Nick a few years ago and wants to maybe watch it now.

ah ah ahhhhh, don't forget double dare

kommunizt kat

Jul 8, 2009
ninonybox360 said:
Randothepally said:
I do miss the old ones like Invader Zim, Ren and Stimpy and Hey Arnold!.All they really show is Real Life Drama type shows, Like H20.

I believe that It's good and bad. Good because the newer audience won't miss what they never knew, but bad for somebody that watched Nick a few years ago and wants to maybe watch it now.

what about kablam?

hppav

Jul 23, 2009
I'm surprised no one mentioned the Adventures of Pete and Pete (or am I too old? :p).

And Space Cases, which didn't last long though, it had a dedicated fanbase for 7 years after the show was canned. You can find it on YouTube though, so there's still a scattering of fans. I mean it had the guy who played the black Power Ranger, Jewel Staite (who went on to Firefly and Stargate), George Takei dressed as a reptilian (I'm serious!), and guest appearances of Bull Mumy (original Will Robinson), Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker), Peter David (known for writing the few good Star Trek novels), as well as Danny Tamborelli from Pete and Pete!

Also don't forget about Salute your shorts!

And the game shows, Wild 'n' Crazy Kids, GUTS, Double Dare (The original), Legends of the Hidden Temple, Get the Picture, Nick Arcade, etc.

Great times.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
hppav said:
I'm surprised no one mentioned the Adventures of Pete and Pete (or am I too old? :p).

And Space Cases, which didn't last long though, it had a dedicated fanbase for 7 years after the show was canned. You can find it on YouTube though, so there's still a scattering of fans. I mean it had the guy who played the black Power Ranger, Jewel Staite (who went on to Firefly and Stargate), George Takei dressed as a reptilian (I'm serious!), and guest appearances of Bull Mumy (original Will Robinson), Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker), Peter David (known for writing the few good Star Trek novels), as well as Danny Tamborelli from Pete and Pete!

Also don't forget about Salute your shorts!

And the game shows, Wild 'n' Crazy Kids, GUTS, Double Dare (The original), Legends of the Hidden Temple, Get the Picture, Nick Arcade, etc.

Great times.
Pete and pete was one of the funniest shows ever made. it also had much better guest stars: iggy pop, michael stipe, janeane garofalo, adam west, patty hearst, chris elliot and steve buscemi!

and i DID forget about salute your shorts. :( i deserve an Awful Waffle for that. -.-

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Mr. Steeve said:
kommunizt kat said:
what about kablam?
Action League NOW!
You both get an internet each. Dear sod that show was awesome.

As for the topic, yes, they have gone downhill. As far as I'm concerned, Nick went out in a blaze of glory with the series finale of Avatar.

I think we can all agree, however, that if it's done right Nick should bring back Invader Zim. Only if it's done right, though, nobody likes a franchise zombie.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
kommunizt kat said:
cobra_ky said:
However, I still think adult swim is partially decent, dont like most of the anime though... needs more hentai
i miss sealab, frisky dingo, and mission hill. also adult swim keeps losing the rights to anime somehow and i'm not sure why. who else airs anime?

Ninonybox_v1legacy

Apr 2, 2008
kommunizt kat said:
ninonybox360 said:
Randothepally said:

what about kablam?
ohhhhhhh i love that show ohhhhahhhhhh *orgasmed*

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Even great shows are aired, have a run, and get canceled. So one way or another, those classics would likely be canceled by now regardless, unless they reached a level of popularity on par with "The Simpsons". Plus, the creators may have there shows sold to other people, or run out of ideas, get board, move on to new projects, etc. Now, I generally play the devils advocate against nostalgia, and almost always point out that we pick and choose the best bits from out past to compare with a random sampling of present day. So I really want to say that Nickelodeon is doing what it's always done, and we just put on our nostalgia glasses and start complaining. But I'm not sure I can do that. I think that instead of going to people with good ideas, and showing some persons unique vision where a lot of the (And I hate useing this word), "Edgy" material manages to sneak in (I really don't think that Nick was even paying attention when they allowed Invader Zim in), Nick has started designing shows based on market research and focus groups. It appeals to the most shallow, surface desires of the audience, which drags them in and makes them cash, but has nothing beneath the surface. If I watch an older show from nick, I will usually not like it anymore, but I can at least see where the appeal used to be. If I watch a new nick show, all I can see is a checklist of stuff to include in order to appeal to an audience. No craftsmanship. Of course, I'm old school enough that I think that the beginning of the downward trend was, "Catdog".

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
Useless trivia: Nickelodeon began life as "Pinwheel" back in '77.

Ok, anyway...

Kids have a different sense of humor nowadays, that's all it is. Nickelodeon's sole demographic is children and young teens, always has been. Maximum ratings and profits means you market the latest trends and fads.

I've taken in bits of shows like iCarly and the only lingering thought in my mind is "Jailbait. Jailbait. Jailbait. Jailbait." Sure that sounds perverted but young girls back in the old Nickelodeon shows like Welcome Freshmen and Hey Dude didn't dress THAT provocatively.

Really the only half-way appealing shows they have for older people are My Fairly Odd Parents and Spongebob. I find it ironic that there's such a level of sexual innuendo and vulgarity in Spongebob (the earlier seasons anyway) and they're perfectly fine with it, yet when Ren & Stimpy did it years earlier, Spumco was fired from the production of their own creation.

Ren & Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, and other such shows were marketed to kids who are now in their mid to late-20s. They're obviously too old for them now.

I definitely think they should invest in a Classic Nick channel though, a channel that will run all of their shows from the 80s and early 90s. Me, I miss the original Double Dare, Finders Keepers, You Can't Do That on Television, and Mr. Wizard's World; Now THAT is going way back... *feels old*

Here's to you, the once great Nickelodeon...

kommunizt kat

Jul 8, 2009
robinkom said:
Useless trivia: Nickelodeon began life as "Pinwheel" back in '77.

Ok, anyway...

Kids have a different sense of humor nowadays, that's all it is. Nickelodeon's sole demographic is children and young teens, always has been. Maximum ratings and profits means you market the latest trends and fads.

I've taken in bits of shows like iCarly and the only lingering thought in my mind is "Jailbait. Jailbait. Jailbait. Jailbait." Sure that sounds perverted but young girls back in the old Nickelodeon shows like Welcome Freshmen and Hey Dude didn't dress THAT provocatively.

Really the only half-way appealing shows they have for older people are My Fairly Odd Parents and Spongebob. I find it ironic that there's such a level of sexual innuendo and vulgarity in Spongebob (the earlier seasons anyway) and they're perfectly fine with it, yet when Ren & Stimpy did it years earlier, Spumco was fired from the production of their own creation.

Ren & Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, and other such shows were marketed to kids who are now in their mid to late-20s. They're obviously too old for them now.

I definitely think they should invest in a Classic Nick channel though, a channel that will run all of their shows from the 80s and early 90s. Me, I miss the original Double Dare, Finders Keepers, You Can't Do That on Television, and Mr. Wizard's World; Now THAT is going way back... *feels old*

Here's to you, the once great Nickelodeon...
Are kids getting stupider these days? back then we never had this "emo" trend and these things called "social fads" frankly I think that kids only get stupider every generation. In fact, I think that in 20-30 years Nick would start showing "dora" to 14 year olds and they wouldn't hate it. Don't get me wrong, I believe that lots of kids out there are geniuses but the average intelligence of each generation decreases. Well this wouldn't matter when the intelligent revolt against the government, take control, and start changing the world for the better...