Poll: Nintendo are just toying with the gaming industry before they release The Pokemon MMO

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
Everything that's happened since those GB games released all that time ago has been a mere test for Nintendo, because they know that once they release the Pokemon MMO they have won the games industry. It's not just WoW they will have toppled, but every other game in every other genre on every other platform will see its playerbase evaporate before the all-enveloping light that would be a Pokemon MMO.

True or false?

I'd also like to add that a team of people competent at producing and maintaining an online game would be making this...not Nintendo. Enjoy your obligatory 'what if?' topic of the day.

AwkwardTurtle

Aug 21, 2011
Well, I can't imagine how the MMO would work. Would it play like the original GB format of 2D walking around? Would they try and create a 3D world? Other questions would need be answered. It's all just so many what if situations on what direction a Pokemon MMO would take.

It just seems like it would be a drastically different feel from the mainly single player Pokemon world with interactions among others being limited to trading and battling to a world filled with other live players.

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
You'd probably have to play as a trainer, and one of many different classes of trainers. Different classes would be able to use new Pokemon, moves and abilities at new levels, but only if you caught them first in the wild. Powerful, legendary Pokemon would require groups to take down and capture, giving you great reward for great effort. Different classes of trainer would only have certain Pokemon available to them, but still a good portion to allow diversity. You could have a tank-ish trainer for instance who got access to many of the great bulky waters and steel types.

You could easily have the main game begin with Kanto/Johto/Sevii Islands explorable and then add the other regions as expansions down the road. Story would be about taking down Team Rocket who are hatching some diabolical scheme regarding Mewtwo and the other legendary Pokemon.

Not sure how crafting would work, but they could slot it in easy enough I guess. Farm wild Pokemon/forage around for the raw materials and combine for potions, X accuracy and even powerful equitable items like Life Orb.

...at least that's what I came up with through my personal musings. I figured that you'd need some kind of class system and some kind of incentive to go out and catch Pokemon.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Tons of potential. I haven't played my Pokemon games in forever, but if they played their cards right, they could very well make more money than they could possibly imagine.

(Ok, maybe not more than they could imagine, but close enough)

Kekkles

Feb 19, 2010
The thing is you'd only need a small selection of Pokemon at a certain power with certain moves and that's the game-breaker. Everyone will find out about it and the game will topple. Pokemon are very delicate creatures and the games themselves are incredibly fragile works of art, if you chuck it into a massive pool of tar like an MMO it can go horribly wrong. Not without the correct planning and designing can this game survive and seeing GameFreak's track record for games. It's just clone, after clone, after clone. Pokemon was their miracle formula and I don't think they want to tamper with it enough to make an MMO.

EDITEDIT: I can't vote because there isn't a choice saying "A Pokemon MMO COULD be very good. But it can still go horribly wrong."

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
Kekkles said:
The thing is you'd only need a small selection of Pokemon at a certain power with certain moves and that's the game-breaker. Everyone will find out about it and the game will topple.

Ever played competitive Pokemon? It's that. Every MMO can be broken down into a list of 'perfect builds'.

Kekkles

Feb 19, 2010
tlozoot said:
Kekkles said:
The thing is you'd only need a small selection of Pokemon at a certain power with certain moves and that's the game-breaker. Everyone will find out about it and the game will topple.

Ever played competitive Pokemon? It's that. Every MMO can be broken down into a list of 'perfect builds'.
I've played Pokemon competitively but that doesn't make an MMO. An MMO has to be a lot more than that to even stand up to games like WoW and perfect builds are very different to a perfect group of Pokemon.

A Pokemon MMO could flop so easily but a 3D Pokemon game that mimics what the Pokemod is doing to Minecraft would work like water to the parched.

Kurai Angelo

Oct 12, 2009
tlozoot said:
Kekkles said:

Do you know how annoying things like herb farming are in Wow trying to compete with other people? Now imagine everyone trying to catch a certain pokemon... yeah. CLUSTERFUCK

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
As much as I'd want to play it, I can imagine it being frustrating playing people who do nothing but Pokemon. I'm on the more casual end of the battling spectrum and as such I would probably never get far. It'd be neat but there is yet to be a game I'm willing to pay a monthly bill for. EVE came close but then WoT came around with its freeness and I decided that would be my only MMO.

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
Kurai Angelo said:
tlozoot said:
Kekkles said:

Do you know how annoying things like herb farming are in Wow trying to compete with other people? Now imagine everyone trying to catch a certain pokemon... yeah. CLUSTERFUCK
I imagine there'd be enough Pokemon to go around. Chill on down to Route 14 and there's a dozen Skarmory dotted around. Being that, in the sort of game I'm imagining, you'd be training against wild Pokemon to grind, there'd be enough to go around. Sure there'd be a cluster-fuck at the time when it all gets released and everyone is progressing at the same pace but I'd have thought this would quiet down after some time.

I played FFXI for awhile as a Blue Mage which involved fighting monsters in the wild to get your 'spells'. There was very seldom any problem. In the case of very powerful Pokemon, you could have those fights instanced.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Everyone always seems to think a pokemon MMO would be a great idea.

Assumming they stick to how pokemon games work regularly, the whole thing would be nightmarish to balance. It takes sites like smogon months to even attempt to balance the system, and that's not even counting the balance in actually acquiring the pokemon.

Sep 14, 2009
Kekkles said:
tlozoot said:
Kekkles said:

I've played Pokemon competitively but that doesn't make an MMO. An MMO has to be a lot more than that to even stand up to games like WoW and perfect builds are very different to a perfect group of Pokemon.

A Pokemon MMO could flop so easily but a 3D Pokemon game that mimics what the Pokemod is doing to Minecraft would work like water to the parched.
did you ever see that mmo of pokemon that was already made?

that shit was catching so much steam nintendo had to shut it down before it completely destroyed their single player pokemon games

pokemon is a single player game, yeah, but it is easily easily built to an mmo in the fact is that all you do is go around battling and grinding in the single player game, which is easily transferred to mmo format, not to mention that in meta game that's all that people do is balance and pvp each other constantly..

nintendo, if done right, is sitting on one fatass pile of cash, which unfortunately i think they are waiting to pull out for a rainy day..