Poll: Nintendo to make new Mario film with Despicable Me studio

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Casual Shinji said:
*rubs temples*

I predict cringe humor, pop culture references, and... product placement.
Sadly. I guess Nintendo thinks Illumination Studios made more money with Minions than Disney/Pixar's stuff.

Than again I think Mario would be in the wrong hands with Diseny/Pixar because they would subvert the hell out of the story of Mario ala Frozen style.

Can't we just have a Mario movie that's like the First Paper Mario in terms of Story?

2HF

May 24, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
Holy hell. There's nothing in Mario Bros. worthy of making a movie about. This is a cash crab, pure and simple. I'd love them to prove me wrong but I really don't possibly see how that could happen.
A cash crab? I thought this was Mario, not spongebob

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:
Casual Shinji said:
*rubs temples*

Sadly. I guess Nintendo thinks Illumination Studios made more money with Minions than Disney/Pixar's stuff.

Than again I think Mario would be in the wrong hands with Diseny/Pixar because they would subvert the hell out of the story of Mario ala Frozen style.

Can't we just have a Mario movie that's like the First Paper Mario in terms of Story?
Pixar didn't make Frozen. That was just Disney's regular animation studio.

Also I think Mario could work with Disney as opposed to Illumination which gave us crap such as Minions or The Lorax. Then again Disney nor Pixar are perfect either.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Could be worse.

I suppose.

They could've dug Video Brinquiedo out of mothballs...

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Catfood220 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Nintendo is being weirdly liberal with their Mario IP as of late. Letting Ubisoft have a go at it, now this. But I wonder to what extent will Mario (Peach, Yoshi, Bowser - really everybody but Luigi) be allowed to have an actual personality, or how far will the plot deviate from Bowser kidnapping Peach. I guess it's either that or a Wreck-it-Ralph scenario of characters calling to question their traditional roles in life (doubt it though). Also $20 says the Toads will be the Minions of the movie.
Nah, I doubt it'll be the Toads, my betting is that it will be the Goombas or Koopa Troopers or a combination of both of Bowsers, ahem, minions that will be the comedy relief.

And am I the only one that liked the Mario Bros. movie? Ok, I've not seen it since I was a kid, but I didn't hate it. Maybe because I was a kid. But I can see an animated film working better than an actual live action film though.
I suppose Goombas make more sense. Similar in shape and they got the mute slapstick going on for them already.
And by the way there *is* already an animated (Japanese!) Mario movie already.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Casual Shinji said:
*rubs temples*

They do because Illumination has admitted to be cheap. My guess is if it bombs it won't hurt Nintendos wallet too much.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Natemans said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Casual Shinji said:
*rubs temples*

Pixar didn't make Frozen. That was just Disney's regular animation studio.

Also I think Mario could work with Disney as opposed to Illumination which gave us crap such as Minions or The Lorax. Then again Disney nor Pixar are perfect either.
Wait, The Lorax!?

...I just thought something...

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
I'm sure it will be fun for kids, but I doubt I get anything out of it. I could be wrong and I hope to be, but I'll keep my expectations in check for the time being.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I cannot stand the Minions, and Sing looked to be one of the most unabashedly cliched films in a long while (in an industry steeped in cliche).

I would rather this not happen.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
2 stars.

I suspect it will be a decent kids film. Kids.

I am however not a child anymore.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Catfood220 said:
And am I the only one that liked the Mario Bros. movie? Ok, I've not seen it since I was a kid, but I didn't hate it. Maybe because I was a kid. But I can see an animated film working better than an actual live action film though.
No. I enjoyed the Mario Movie when I was a kid. I haven't seen it since then. Yeah it had next to no connection to the source material, but it was still fun to watch.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
2HF said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Holy hell. There's nothing in Mario Bros. worthy of making a movie about. This is a cash crab, pure and simple. I'd love them to prove me wrong but I really don't possibly see how that could happen.
A cash crab? I thought this was Mario, not spongebob
Crap. Fixed. lol

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
oh look, Nintendo announces something and then escapist treats the announcement like its the end of the world.

same as usual on this site it seems.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Yoshi178 said:
oh look, Nintendo announces something and then escapist treats the announcement like its the end of the world.

1) The announcement was made ages ago.

2) People mostly have a problem with Illumination rather than Nintendo.

Also doesn't help that VG films don't have a good track record - the reaction would be the same regardless of who made it.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Hawki said:
Yoshi178 said:

no it was rumoured ages ago. it was never officially announced until a couple of days ago

Hawki said:
Miyamoto is Co-producing the film and keeping a close eye on the project. if his Starfox Zero Anime and Pikmin Short films are anything to go by, the film will be fine.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Yoshi178 said:
Hawki said:
Yoshi178 said:

no it was rumoured ages ago. it was never officially announced until a couple of days ago

Hawki said:
Miyamoto is Co-producing the film and keeping a close eye on the project. if his Starfox Zero Anime and Pikmin Short films are anything to go by, the film will be fine.
I'll be the judge of that, because even though my name is not a giveaway of what I like, I still take Mario seriously. Paper Mario. Super Mario RPG, and Mario and Luigi showcases you can make good story in the Mario universe.

If they want to go safe on Story the best they can do is just adapt the overall story of Paper Mario 1, have Bowser be the villain and taken Princess Peach captive.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Yoshi178 said:
oh look, Nintendo announces something and then Yoshi178 treats the announcement like its the second coming of Jesus and vehemently, unashamedly, defends Nintendo against any and all criticism (regardless of its veracity) that comes from those mean ol' internet poop-heads.

Fixed that for ya. ;D

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Vigormortis said:
Yoshi178 said:
oh look, Nintendo announces something and then Yoshi178 treats the announcement like its the second coming of Jesus and vehemently, unashamedly, defends Nintendo against any and all criticism (regardless of its veracity) that comes from those mean ol' internet poop-heads.

Fixed that for ya. ;D
cool. got any original material yet?

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Samtemdo8 said:
I'll be the judge of that, because even though my name is not a giveaway of what I like, I still take Mario seriously. Paper Mario. Super Mario RPG, and Mario and Luigi showcases you can make good story in the Mario universe.

If they want to go safe on Story the best they can do is just adapt the overall story of Paper Mario 1, have Bowser be the villain and taken Princess Peach captive.
I'm not expecting the movie to be amazing or anything.

but i do expect that Miyamoto will make sure that the film captures the feel of the Mario Universe that's in the videogames. There was nothing about the Pikmin short films that felt out place from the Pikmin Universe and i expect this to be the case here as well.

After the disaster of the 1993 film as well as other 90's things like the Zelda CDi games, i can see why Nintendo have been so protective of entrusting Mario or any of their other IP's to 3rd Parties. Yeah, the Mario film probably won't be amazing, but given how cautious they are, i don't see any chance of Nintendo letting this new film become a total train wreck like the 1993 film was.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Silvanus said:
I cannot stand the Minions, and Sing looked to be one of the most unabashedly cliched films in a long while (in an industry steeped in cliche).

I would rather this not happen.
Sing wasn?t bad. There?s precisely nothing original or even new about it, but it ably steps up to deliver a very polished version of its own cliches. That and there are precious few ways to hear a boar with a German accent sing ?Bad Romance?wearing a gold sequined disco suit.

Actually the singing is pretty solid all around. I have no idea if the actors did their own singing, but if they did then they're talented amateurs. Aside from the girl who won American Idol obviously.