Poll: Nintendo's Best Princess

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Gonna go with Midna because I really liked her character in Twilight Princess easily the best Zelda companion ever and imo the best legend of Zelda character fullstop.

Most of the others tend to get no personality which I can understand because story is not a large part in a lot of their games so its fine but I find their design nothing special its solid enough for what they need but hardly inspiring although certainly iconic after all these years. Zelda is ok but she never seems to receive much attention which is a shame as I do think she could be interesing.

I do like Lucina as well but dont know enough about her so im goin Midna.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Peach because she is my favourite fighter in SSB Melee, and she has a kind of charm to her. Oh and I enjoyed the Super Princess Peach game on DS. That's it really.

People here are right about Zelda doing more in most of the later Zelda games, I think, but I never really cared for her as a character.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'll go for Agitha, the princess of bugs in Twilight Princess.

I would've gone for Midna, but then I remembered she turns into a boring good guy little over halfway through the game. She was fun when she was cheeky, then she goes all noble. : (

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
Zelda, Midna, and Rosalina I think are the most popular. Midna and Zelda are cool given that they do a lot more than get kidnapped. Rosalina is somehow really popular too, dunno why I guess it's because she looks like that Let it Go princess

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Rosalina, for being the God-Mother of the Mario universe (best back story ever), having the best hair, and best joke at the expense of horny guys ever.

However! Princess Peach has the best dress and personality (specifically from Paper Mario and the Mario comic), and Midna is the coolest. Zelda gets B+ in all categories but is master of none.

Daisy is too off brand Peach for me, but she did once erect a 50 foot high golden statue of her and Luigi dancing. As far as grand romantic gestures (and gross misuses of power) go that is pretty great, so she gets points in my book.

GZGoten said:
Zelda, Midna, and Rosalina I think are the most popular. Midna and Zelda are cool given that they do a lot more than get kidnapped. Rosalina is somehow really popular too, dunno why I guess it's because she looks like that Let it Go princess
Rosalina was super popular long before Frozen. I think it is the hair. The hair over the eye drives the waifu crowd crazy.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Rosalina but only because she is the newest Princess out there so she has become a bored damsel in distress that the others has become including Zelda.

Seishisha

By the power of greyskull.
Aug 22, 2011
Voted other, my actual vote would goto Samus from metroid. This may seem like a strange choice considering she does not realy fit the standard definition of a 'princess' but she is probably the most prominent and capable female character nintendo has, certainly worthy of mention.

To add me some credence, Midna is also classed as a princess but her actions again defy the traditional concepts. If you want to branch out of nintendo for another example how about Mulan from disney, same thing and she is still labeled a princess.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
LordLundar said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
Is Rosalina really a Princess? She may have been before but I always thought she was more of a Cosmic Queen or possibly even a Goddess.
That's a big point. People see the crown and immediately think "princess" but not once has Rosalina (or Rosetta in Japan) has ever been referred to a s a princes.
I was just playing the latest Mario Party last night and I couldn't help but notice that while Rosalina also has a crown, hers is much larger and (possibly) more ornate than Peach's or Daisy's crowns (which are more or less the same crown). Again, this is just in Mario Party 10, they could have the same or, similar crowns in other games like 3D World or any given post-Galaxy Mario Kart. It's just something interesting that I just noticed in the last 24 hours.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
They're all pretty awesome characters once you crack open the surface and look deeper inside... (yeah, sorry...)

First off: Never underestimate Peach [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwMvi8vzNhk]. In terms of characterization, since SMB3 Peach is the quintessential politician: she's always up to something but we're never quite sure what that is or how she's doing it. She is never simply idle, even whilst being held captive, and she is able to accomplish remarkable feats under the harshest of adversity, even more so than Mario. For example, in the aforementioned Super Mario Bros 3, Mario can't even find items like Jujem's Cloud and Power Wing, but Peach smuggles as many as 3 of them out of her captivity reliably after every stage.... via parcel post, of all things. Given Bowser's harsh security measures to keep Mario out, including several layers of military force and fortifications involving warping space... that can't have been an easy thing.

Zelda is a ninja, bard, fencer, and wizard all rolled into one. Her leadership shills are unquestioned, raised basically since birth to rule the complex politics of Hyrule's multiple races. She's a strong military leader, with command over countless armies - some of whom aren't completely useless - as well as a crew of pirates, and at least two entire ninja clans. Zelda also commands an alliance with powerful noncorporeal beings, such as the Great Fairies, the Guardian Spirits, and the Three Goddesses, whom she can call upon to aid her and her allies (specifically Link) with so little effort, she did it while unconscious. Several times. Similarly, following the events of their respective games, Zelda allies herself with former adversaries and rivals, such as Midna and Hilda (missing from the lists), and even Ganon at one point. Each of whom are at least her equal in all but popularity, and their friendship, however temporary, represents Zelda's general greatness.

Rosalina... isn't really a princess, she is Queen of the Stars; Mother of All Lumas. Still counts though, I suppose. She is by far one of the most powerful of Nintendo's "princesses", with direct control over time and space (fueled by Power/Grand Stars), and the magical ability to conjure Lumas into being, who then become new stars and planets when fed (some of whom may contain Power Stars of their own). Honestly, one wonders why Rosalina needs Mario at all... (Truth be told, she doesn't. She's helping Mario because he asked for aid and she responded.) Rosalina is similar in power and ability to Nintendo's other godlike "princess", Palutena from Kid Icarus - who is strangely absent from the list of choices.

Daisy is an interesting character in her own right, though her development has been severely limited by her lack of exposure. Daisy is the ruling princess of Saharasala Land, the setting of Super Mario Land (which coincidentally shares a name with one of the Zelda series' mentor Sages), and somewhere we've never been to since. There have been places with that name, and Daisy does come by to visit and play Tennis and/or board games from time to time, but no other characters from that game have ever returned. Daisy is described as an athletic tomboy and brazen, outspoken counterpart to demure Peach. Other than that, she hasn't really done much "on camera". Until she gets a more prominent role, she's "just another princess", similar to Mario's first girlfriend, Pauline - whom we hadn't seen since the original Donkey Kong (until the recent Mario vs Donkey Kong, where it seems she became a television celebrity of sorts, but little else is explored).

A few other Nintendo "princesses" of note:

Tiny Kong, a direct relative of Donkey and Kranky Kong, and therefore holds some claim to their fabulous "wealth" (of bananas) and lands (though she is owned by Rare, so... maybe not "technically" Nintendo-brand).

Krystal, the psychic fox princess and ruler of dinosaurs who also happens to be a skilled Arwing pilot.

Lucina... she's from Fire Emblem, everything else about her is a spoiler if you haven't played it yet, but trust me, she's badass.

Jenna, the flame-wielding, rock-blasting, spirit-taming, dragon-slaying badass from Golden Sun also happens to be the daughter of a chief elder of their Adept village (so technically a princess).

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Rosalina because she's a heavyweight in Mario Kart, making her faster than the others. :3

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
As much as I like Lucina and Rosalina, I'll have to go with Zelda. Most Zeldas are good, but my personal fav is her Twilight Princess version. She's my example of a "damsel in distress" archetype done right. She doesn't just sit around after being captured waiting to be rescued, she willingly gave herself up to prevent a slaughter and continues to try and think things out from her prison. She actively furthers the plot, giving out exposition, having some good character moments and helping you on your quest, instead of just screeching "HELP ME" over and over to give you an end goal. She has very little screentime, but she spends it well. Also her design is freaking awesome and she's a ton of fun in Smash 4 if you're willing to put the effort in.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Right off the bat, Zelda. Why? 2 words. Hyrule Warriors!
Plus she's prolly done more in general to not always get captured.

I like my princesses higher on the scale of "warrior."

Granted there's plenty of "others" in Nintendo's roster and heaven help me if any nintendo game is fair game.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Shoggoth2588 said:
Is Rosalina really a Princess? She may have been before but I always thought she was more of a Cosmic Queen or possibly even a Goddess.
From the Mario Galaxy manual: "Not much is known about Rosalina, the lonely princess who wanders the cosmos in the Comet Observatory"

So yes, she is a princess. But she is also a goddess, from what we know. It is possible to be both.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Bayonetta and Samus Aran!
She(They) kick ass and takes care of themselves ;)

More on Topic maybe, as I don't think they count as princesses? xD

Zelda was the one I was thinking about when I read the headline for the topic.
Not really sure why I'd pick her, just like her character overall I guess...

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
I really hate it when I'm going with the flow, but Zelda, mainly because I have a greater familiarity with the character and her different interpretations due to having more Legend of Zelda games then all my other first party Nintendo titles put together. Plus, from what I've seen, it looks like she gets more development and characterization in each game then most of the other princesses get in their while franchises.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Zelda it has to be.

Peach is the worst. She's braindead and makes irritating noises. Zelda at least is competent in a fight and gave Link a kiss in Skyward sword.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Supermario Land was the first game I had... Back on the Gameboy. Because of that I didn't realise Peach was the original princess for Mario until ages later. Daisy will always be the original to me! :p

So she got my vote!

(Obviously Zelda is the best if you actually look at the choices together... but nostalgia is more powerful than Mr Rodgers in the Ultimate Showdown)

MajorTomServo

Jan 31, 2011
Jingle Fett said:
The Twilight princess herself, Midna.

From the moment she's introduced, she definitely breaks the damsel in distress trope. And unlike Zelda, Midna actively participates in the saving of Hyrule. She teleports Link around, she's part of the player's combat, etc. Not putting Zelda down or anything, but Zelda's role is usually indirect for the most part--she might participate in boss battles or cutscenes, but is generally hands off (haven't played Skyward Sword though so can't comment).

Plus Midna can transform into a Godzilla sized spider monster, so there's that.

My other Zelda-playing friend hates her for not being all "MOST BRAVEST HERO OF TIME THOU ART THE MOST RIGHTEOUS AND HANDSOME IN ALL THE LAND" all the time, but that's exactly why I love her. She starts out not caring about you, just needing you as a tool. You start out not caring about her, seeing her as an annoying imp bossing you around. But over the course of the adventure, you bond, and both start to care for each other, culminating in that one scene. You know the one. The scene that shares the honor of "game scenes that have actually made me cry IRL" with the ending of Metal Gear Solid 3.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Rosalina, Daisy, Peach, Zelda in that order.

Rosalina is basically the goddess of the Mario universe, or the Cosmic Spirit, if you prefer.
She's immortal, has extremely powerful magic, and is mother to the cosmos.
She may not give birth to the stars, planets, and comets, but she raises them, and they all unanimously recognize her as their mother.
You really don't fuck with Rosalina.
No one kidnaps Rosalina, because given the things she's been seen doing, no one would be powerful enough to pull it off.

Daisy spends almost all of her time playing sports and racing. Got kidnapped like...once?
She comes off as a more athletic, smarter version of Peach. So, hypothetically, however badass Peach is, she'd be moreso.

Zelda and Peach are pretty much tied. Both do some fighting nowadays, but both have gotten kidnapped.....a lot.
Peach has gotten kidnapped more, but she's also done waaaay more of being a hero.

Zelda has mostly just gotten kidnapped, but has been a hero a couple times now. Still, she could take Peach in a fight.