Poll: No sir, this is my normal face.

Longing

Nov 29, 2012
While at work today, this gentleman came up to me to ask me a question and as I looked up and said "yes?", his face morphed into confusion and he just went "sorry, I didn't want to bother you." and he left.

This is not the first time this has happened to me, people are always asking me if I'm mad even when I'm not (if I were mad, you would know). People don't approach me to talk if they don't know me, be it coworkers or in the past, classmates.

And this friend, is because I suffer from bitchy resting face syndrome. My neutral face is one of complete annoyance. Sometimes it gets annoying, especially when you get comments like "you should try smiling more", but it has been a blessing in my life as it generally keeps people I don't want to talk to at bay. And it also means I have this in common with the queen of my childhood, Posh Spice.

Escapists, are you like me? Or are you one of those psychos with a smile on their face 24/7?

ps. don't trust those people. their smiles are full of secrets.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Just a few days ago I had a friend ask me why I was so pissed. Odd thing was is that I was just thinking about something.

So when I'm thinking I look like a mad mother fucker.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
I get that a lot. My normal face makes it look like I'm pissed off about something but don't want to talk about it, when reality I'm usually just daydreaming.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
I get it a lot from my boyfriend. "Why are you so angry?" "what's wrong?" "Are you angry?" And from a lot of other people. I just have Resting ***** Face. Though othertimes people say I look so happy or I smile a lot. It makes me confused.

http://www.jennifarley.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/JWOWW-Quote-of-the-day-RESTING-*****-face.jpg

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
No, I alternate between terrified resting face and tired resting face, though. I think I look pretty friendly and approachable, otherwise.

thundra

Aug 19, 2014
yeah my face is on permanent frown. Sometimes people ask me if i was mad about something

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
My face is supes neutral and a happy mask to hide the agony inside.

Ha ha! I win!

Really though, I think my "standard" face probably looks more tired than anything else, but it's really easy to make me smile or laugh over something. I mean, when I get angry I tend to go into something of hysterics and switch between laughing and screaming out "ARGH!!" on the flip of a dime, so I don't think even I could tell you what my "angry" face looks like.

Most likely something like this:

Longing

Nov 29, 2012
Padwolf said:
I get it a lot from my boyfriend. "Why are you so angry?" "what's wrong?" "Are you angry?" And from a lot of other people. I just have Resting ***** Face. Though othertimes people say I look so happy or I smile a lot. It makes me confused.
sounds like your boyfriend needs to educate himself to your terrible condition ;)

My mom's always asking if i'm mad and I just keep thinking, "I've had this face for twenty some years now, you'd think she'd learn!" lol

Chemical Alia said:
No, I alternate between terrified resting face and tired resting face, though. I think I look pretty friendly and approachable, otherwise.
terrified?

sorry, I just imagine you concentrating with that look on your face and it makes me giggle.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Yup. I just have an asshole face. Not angry at all. Also been told I have 'dead eyes'once, but nope, I'm not dead inside, they simply caught me on a day where I didn't sleep well the night before.

Aerevolt

Jan 11, 2011
I will get that reaction from time to time. Usually it's when I'm doing a menial taske or watching TV. People say my neutral expression looks pissed off or horribly depressed. It can also happen when I'm just really tired. It's usually friends and coworkers who make it. Big deal out of it, but I think it's because normally when they interact with me, I have a big smile on my face. I've learned to smile at people while talking to them to blend in. (I was horribly ostracized as a kid. I had 0 friends from fifth grade to freshman year in high school)

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
So very much yes. I've actually scared people with a completely neutral expression; it just so happen that the shape of my face makes me look like I'm about to put a fist in someone's face.

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
When I'm out and about sometimes I'll get just get "Smile!". Or "It can't be that bad." Or worse "You'd be prettier if you'd smile." from some random dude (and for me with that particular line it's always some random dude, never another woman. I guess some think its a good way to flirt).

On one memorable occasion while walking downtown it happened three times in a row. The first was a guy passing me on the street who said "Smile." During the second a car drove by and guy rolled down his window and yelled "It cant be that bad!" And normally its isn't that bad because I'm just lost in thought. But this time I was on my way to pay my utilities, and it had been a shitty month money wise. So after that I would be left with like 15 dollars to my name and I had very little food at home to eat. The third, another "Smile, It's not that bad.", came from the security guard as I left the building after paying my water bill. I managed to ignore the first two, the last guy I glared at.

When nothing is wrong the whole "Wy are you angry" thing is just annoying to me. When something is wrong it only pisses me off more. I just have to wonder if such statements ever work on people. Has anyone ever been cheered up, or felt like smiling afterwords?

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
My normal face looks like I'm just bored. Even my "smile for the camera" face looks like I don't care to be in the picture.

However, I do have a friend whose face always makes him look angry. Funnily enough, one night our student organization was having a group dinner and someone took a picture where he refused to smile. We then started joking about it afterwards, but it turns out that the picture was put up on the website, which is partially a way that we attract new students. All I could do when looking at the picture was think to myself, "Man, of all the great pictures taken that night, did they have to pick this one?"

DOOM GUY

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone
Jul 3, 2010
Apparently I look depressed all the time... which I am, but that's just how my neutral face looks.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
Pretty much, whenever I have facial hair, which is pretty damn near always, people always think I'm angry, when I shave everyone thinks I'm sad, when in reality, my face just sits in a position where my mouth is a little frowny. Probably doesn't help that whenever I think about things my brow furrows, and it makes me look like I'm angry... That and I tend to look angry when I squint some, and having light sensitive eyes, really sucks for that, like all the time, working night shifts constantly, and being a night owl really doesn't help with that, I don't tend to see a lot of sunlight.

dragoon3zero

Apr 26, 2011
people have told my brother that i look like i was going to kill someone, when i had the sun in my eye. i'm also told that people do think i look angry when i'm not. they usually see me with my concentration face which looks like anger.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I get the same thing at work from a bunch of my coworkers. Granted I do have a surly personality but I never show it in my face. They always tell me to smile more or if I am ok. It gets really annoying after awhile and I have lost my cool a couple of times because of it.

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
I get that face all the time. People always tell me to smile more and that I should not be angry all the time. One day I just walked into class and sat down, my bookbag made a loud noise when it hit the ground like everyone elses and yet some girl said "Wow someones really pissed today". It sucks because a lot of people really get offended by it sometimes.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I know that feel. I seem to just have a natural scowl of sorts so new people I meet tend to think I'm pissed off about something or other.

First ever job I had I'd always get shit off one of my superiors for looking so "angry". Her exact words were "I don't give a fuck if you're miseralbe deep down, look happy for the customers".

Good times I tells ya ^_^