Poll: Not allowed to buy an M-rated game

DeleteThisPlease

Mar 26, 2010
Also, just something else, while I'm thinking about it:

Something that we, the gamers, have been trying to promote for a long time is the idea that VIDEO GAMES ARE NOT BAD. We've stated this a thousand times, and that's part of the reason why the rating system exists.

Minors under the age of 17 arn't supposed to be able to get their grubby little paws (no offence ment to the younger escapeists here) on a copy of 'Killgorefest3200' which is rated M for blood, violence, boobies, booze and drug abuse, and foul language. Unless their parents say it's ok.

If the parents are ok with it, and the parents help them perchase the game, then if the little under-17 goes batshiet crazy, then it's the parents problem and the parents fault.

Just follow the rules and you'll be ok.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I'll be 18 in a month but I doubt any store would sell me cigarettes, why would games be different? Get use to being carded anywhere I go since I look 15. At least I never been accused of having a fake license like my friend has, she looks 12 and is 19.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
PrayerofRefugee said:
I went to Gamestop to buy BioShock because of their sale and I was asked for id. I showed him my driver's license and he said he was not allowed to sell the game to me.

I turn 17 in less than one month! (M-rated games say 17+)

Also, the majority of my game collection are rated M to begin with.

So do you think they were right to say no to me buying the game?

EDIT::::

After the responses I have received from this thread (along with convincing reasons), I also believe they are right.
look at it this way, if they sold ya the game, even though your a month away, they would have gotten in trouble for selling to someone younger then the age you need to be to buy it.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Jamieson 90 said:
Snotnarok said:
Yes because they're legally responsible and there have been people sent in to buy games to see if they could, guess what happens to the guy who made that sale?
Like I previously said, When you recieve training at a store you are warned about this sort of thing, When I was there it was a criminal record and a £1000 fine. The fine is pritty bad but a criminal record pritty much means your life is over.
Plus the loss of your job which makes paying that fine off just that bit harder. Not worth that risk. Even if you do feel an arsehole telling them no (then on some occasions getting abuse thrown at you and on the rarest occasion having some one start crying) it's simply not worth it.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I've been in your position.I was a little ticked off when the clerk wouldn't let me buy Black,because I was under the 16+ rating limit given by the ESBR.
But then I took a moment and thought of it from the clerks point of view.He was only doing his job,and he shouldn't have to disliked for it.

Ungenericteen

Feb 1, 2010
I think they should allow you to buy the game, when I was 12 a day before my birhtday a gamestop employee asked me my birth date I told the truth and he denied me from buying a T game the day before I turned 13! There is a line between following the rules and being a pain in the ass stickler

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
The day before my next birthday if carded, I'll get thrown out of a bar for trying to get a drink because it's the law and the fines suck if anyone on the legal side finds out and if I tell my friends then they'll try to pull the same stunt at which point they would make threats and then tell their friends... until the feds find out and shut the place down.

While not there yet for games (at least here in the US,) there is legislation in the works for hefty fines for selling games to the wrong age groups so though it may never get that extreme you get the idea. In general sense it's better to be a prick on occasion than to risk it.

Sep 14, 2009
Rathy said:
They were just doing as they were supposed to. It sucks, but thats how it is.

I guess my counter example here is should you be able to buy alcohol(in the US) at 20 years and 11 months? Its the exact same thing in my eyes. Theres a restriction on the age for a reason.
oh how i wish this were true..im the youngest of all my friends and get all advantages of age the last =[

i do agree with the game law, unfortunately most people are mature enough to play it younger than that its just law is law, and if you wanna keep those annoying ass right winged people off your backs then we gotta follow them and be most upright about mature games

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Jamieson 90 said:
Snotnarok said:
Yes because they're legally responsible and there have been people sent in to buy games to see if they could, guess what happens to the guy who made that sale?
Like I previously said, When you recieve training at a store you are warned about this sort of thing, When I was there it was a criminal record and a £1000 fine. The fine is pritty bad but a criminal record pritty much means your life is over.
Yes, in other words from the clerks mouth: I don't give a fuck if you have to go home to mommy to get her to buy you the game, I'm not risking my hide so you can play Murder the game.

And I think that's fair enough in all honesty. I don't want anyone getting in trouble for such a stupid reason.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
Snotnarok said:
Yes, in other words from the clerks mouth: I don't give a fuck if you have to go home to mommy to get her to buy you the game, I'm not risking my hide so you can play Murder the game.

And I think that's fair enough in all honesty. I don't want anyone getting in trouble for such a stupid reason.
You did get the odd person pissed off, understandably so, usually means another journey to the store. All I can say is there the rules, Its not my fualt your underage or you forgot your ID, so don't take it out on me. I did feel bad now and then but I can't do anything about it.

luckily I don't have to deal with that anymore, I'am however sympathetic towards clerks when they ask me for ID because there only doing there job and I know how they feel.

ska_tastic425

Dec 13, 2008
Yes, GameStop was totally justified in its decision. If anyone thinks otherwise, apply it to another situation. In America, should a 20-year-old who is one week away from turning 21 be able to buy a drink? Rules suck, but they're rules nonetheless.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
Doing their job.
I imagine to them it's better to turn a near-17 year old away than risk getting written up or fired possibly

letsnoobtehpwns

Dec 28, 2008
Well, since it's GameStop, no, it was not the right thing for them to do. I hate GameStop!

Just have a friend ID it for you. You have to have at least one friend who's 17 that you could steal for 20 minutes.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
letsnoobtehpwns said:
Well, since it's GameStop, no, it was not the right thing for them to do. I hate GameStop!

Just have a friend ID it for you. You have to have at least one friend who's 17 that you could steal for 20 minutes.
This might not always work, Some stores such as Tesco have pritty extreme policies, For example if you are purchasing Alcahol they ID everyone present to prevent you purchasing it for underage people not heard of it happening for games yet although some stores ask parents (rightfully so) if they are aware of the ratings.

Im not sure whether they can stop you purchasing a game though because you have a minor in your company I thougt the law only applied to the person purchasing the game, this is where I disagree with tesco's policy although thats only for alcahol.

PrayerofRefugee

Feb 2, 2010
Altorin said:
won't matter in a month.
Completely true. I bet these type of things are what you are angry about until you are actually of age to do it and then you don't care anymore or like the law as less younger people will do it.