Poll: Obesity: fat people or true illness?

apmpnmdslkbk

Jun 30, 2008
This is not so much meant to be insulting as it is more of an actual honest question. Should people honestly recognize that others truly are illed and been looked upon as victims or should we see people as fat lazy ass slobbs who have made their own life choices. I for one am caught right in the middle please to persuade me to one side.

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
Well, it isn't so cut and dry. Some people are lazy and become fat, some people are basically fat for life due to slower than normal metabolisms, other people don't know when to stop eating. It is never black and white no matter how it may appear.

GreenDevilJF

Dec 9, 2008
There are exceptions, but I would much rather not consider obesity an illness but more a side effect of being lazy.

Jul 9, 2008
My brother is overweight, despite playing sports and having tried every diet on the face of the earth. So, it's illness for some at least.

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
Though there are an honest-to-god segment of the chubster community who have a legitimate medical concern, the majority of them are lardbuckets because when forced to choose between not stuffing their fat faces while avoiding exercise and living healthily, they chose to shovel garbage down their throats until they turned into humongous blobbermeisters, who's very presence influences the tides.

Says the guy who recently traded his six-pack in for a keg.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Weight problems can be genetic. Sometimes exercise and eating healthy can do nothing for you at all. Such is life. I am actually quite skinny and weigh at 70kg at 6foot4 height, I barely excercise properly and don't eat entirely healthy all the time but I stay skinny. Though despite this if I never did excercise or sports I guess I would be quite the chubby chap.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Fat unless it's a medical thing. If they do not have a medical problem then they should not be allowed in buffets. As it stands the only good part about fat people in buffets is I get to go whale watching.

Flap Jack452

Jan 5, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
Also, some people have lifestyles that don't have time for things like "cooking" and "sleep."
I have time for them, I just don't do them that often.

Sayings its genetic is malarky, thats just a shallow excuse made by the lazies in order to justify their obesity. Both my mom and my dad are overweight but I am healthy and active. This applies for my two brothers as well (One of them holds the 100 yard butterfly record at our school.)

Extravaganza

Mar 2, 2009
Alot of being fat is luck of the draw.
Because metabolism is a big part of being "____"Pounds
on the other hand if you really care (and your not lazy) you can be skinny like most

<--- Skinny

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Obesity is an illness caused by fat people becoming fatter. I'm not trying to be clever (i'm probably not anyway) but it doesn't matter what your lifestyle is, any medical problems you may have, genetics, becoming obese is entirely your fault.

Since obesity is the term for someone who is very overweight according to their BMI. Anyone who has let themselves become obese has done it by themselves. They have all physically eaten too much and not exercised to compensate for it. The only possible exception is to those people who cannot feel when they are full. However It only takes a little bit of common sense to work out what the right amount of food to eat is...

(It's written on the nutritious infomation part of any packaged food...)

The recommended daily allowance of 2500 calories a day for a man, 2000 for a woman. If you happen to be twice the size of an average man that does not mean you need 4000 calories to survive. Do the math fatties!

Flap Jack452

Jan 5, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
Flap Jack452 said:
MaxTheReaper said:
Also, some people have lifestyles that don't have time for things like "cooking" and "sleep."
I have time for them, I just don't do them that often.

Sayings its genetic is malarky, thats just a shallow excuse made by the lazies in order to justify their obesity. Both my mom and my dad are overweight but I am healthy and active. This applies for my two brothers as well (One of them holds the 100 yard butterfly record at our school.)
Yeah, but are they overweight because of a medical issue, or because they're lazy? Laziness isn't genetic, as I am proof of (dear god my parents are hard workers.)
I've taken to cooking all of my meals (mostly fish) because fast food doesn't taste that good, for one, and is more expensive, for two.
I don't really need exercise 'cause I'm not really fat, but somehow I doubt it would have much effect unless I completely changed my lifestyle.
Good thing I don't need to, then.
My dad has always been overweight, but it's not genetic. It's just the way he is, he played linebacker in football his whole life, college included. But back then he was heavy but in shape and ridiculously strong, y'know? Nows he's just heavy and out of shape. My mom was also very active in high school/college. She did cheerleading and all that jazz. But she's gotten overweight just out of pure laziness. Call me crazy but I like to exercise. I like my legs feeling burnt out and tired after running because I know I'm only getting stronger.

Railu

Aug 7, 2008
I'm fairly thin, about 150 lbs. One of the biggest differences I've noticed between me and overweight people is that food doesn't give me pleasure. You ever hear of "comfort food"? Of course, because it's something you eat to feel better. I have no comfort food. Food doesn't make me feel anything but full.

But I do enjoy delicious meals, but I don't seek it out and when I am stressed, I eat less not more.

I can't tell you the name of the program because it was a few years ago on the Discovery Channel, but there is one that talked about this issue. They took a group of chronically overweight people and gave them an MRI while feeding them some of their favorites foods. Those same people had an increase in dopamine in their brain, the same reaction drug addicts get while getting high.

Drug addicts turn to drugs to ease their pain, overweight people turn to food. Heroin addicts can quit and so can you. There is a difference between overeaters and overweight people. The moment you call it an illness though, is the moment you give those sufferers a fallback when they can't do it. "It's not my fault, I'm sick". Please. You need a kick in the ass, not a cuddle.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
there's a few things to it but mostly it's a choice and how you decide to live your life and the food you eat.

for those that say "it's genetic" it is in as far as your parents are fat lard asses and you end up being one too, so it's more social genetic than actually something in your dna. basically your parents didn't teach you to eat properly. my cousins for example a couple of them are fat, simply because my aunt would feed them french fries and fried food instead of healthy stuff, when we were younger my one cousin would refuse to eat veggies unless they were covered in gravy or some other sauce

as for the not being able to lose weight, that really comes down to what you're eating. if you want to lose weigth, cut out a lot of carbs and protein, ie meat and potatoes/rice, and keep active. you have to eat very healthy and you will drop weight, also cut out any fried foods, pop, drink pure juice and lots of fruit and veggies.

i got a bit of a belly but i do know how to get rid of it, i'm just being lazy. i just have to work at doing it.

now where the genetics comes in is where your fat gathers first, for me it's my belly, the rest of my body is mostly fat free. the only real exception really is females who typically gain fat in their hips first off but that's more for child rearing than anything else

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
A combination of too much food, bad nutrition, not enough exercise and genetics, or at least a combination of a couple of these things. Aside from genetics, all of these things can be dealt with. With this in mind, I consider weight problems (including my own-I could stand to lose 30 pounds) about 85% the fault of the fatty in question.

I don't believe this is a "life choice" because aside from Sumo Wrestlers, I can't think of many people who want to be fat, or wouldn't be happier if they were a bit thinner or healthier. I'm not saying everyone should be 20 pounds underweight, but those 500-pound behemoths weren't "born" that way.