Poll: Obesity: fat people or true illness?

black lincon

Aug 21, 2008
It depends, there are genetic predispositions to obesity and then there are fat lazy people. it's impossible to tell without genetic testing but I'm willing to bet the majority of obese people are just lazy, like me.

Mounce

Nov 6, 2008
I say Genetics is an excuse so society can yet again play the blame game and point their fingers at anything but themselves.

Obesity is pathetic, and at the most of it all it's either you can only blame yourself from lack of determination, will power, and what most have these days called, Laziness.

The other problem, and it's not the bull of what people blame called 'genetics', it's called Bad Parenting, monkey-see monkey-do, if your parents are fat, eat fat, drink fat, crap fat, buy fat, and eat like fat people do, you'll grow up to be the same or similar enough in most cases.

Saying ones fatness is because of genetics is just someones pathetic way of saying "I give up, but hey, don't blame me, it's just in my blood and I can't fight it", meaning they are losers to their own paranoia and fear that they won't succeed. Fear and self-esteem conquers people too easily.

To see the world turning as fat as it is, even OUTSIDE of the U.S., it truly disgusts and saddens me, anyone can lose weight, all it takes is discipline and will power in order to see a brighter future.

The only way obesity is an Illness is to people mentally, not genetically (It's all in your head). Dissability is obviously because you're an unhealthy sack of whale-blubber! What I hate more are those who act proud of it, it's perhaps a little more healthy then going emo and crying to sleep wondering why no one wants to have sex with you, but the whole situation where some people act 'Proud' of being bear-sized is mind-boggling. Yes, let's be proud! Be proud that you're destroying your body, stressing your skin and organs an extreme amount especially the heart, and the fact that you won't live very long. The trick is, only be proud of something if it extends your life, not declining!....

I am a foodoholic/Baker/Self-teaching-soon-to-be-cook, 20 y/o, and I weigh 120lbs, I used to weigh 155lbs, but I lost it in my spare time by damn doing 3 situp-sessions, 3 times a day for 3 months, I lost around 10-11lbs per month. Limiting food, schedules, discipline, 'Routine' and of course working out, slowly but surely you'll adjust, enjoy the good sides of it and become truly happy.

MEH.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Trust me, it's a true illness. The amount of epidemilogical studies, genetic studies, nutritional pattern studies and thousands of other pieces of research that have been done on this topic conclude that it is an actual illness.

The reason obesity is so present it is actually selected for in terms of genetics. Remember, when humanity first evolved we were little more than smart hunters and conseqeuntly didn't eat as regulary as we do nowadays. Following Charles Darwins theory of evolution, humans who were more likely to store energy as fat were more likely to survive as they could live off those fat stores until the next meal came around. These traits have therefore survived in todays population, but are not necessary because of our abundant supply of energy-rich food.

It's not just genetic components, obesity is a multifactorial illness with both genetic, enviromental and social factors which contribute to it developing.

Genetics: - The aforementioned predisposition to deposit fat, but numerous other genes are candidates as well. There is a gene which promotes fidgeting which studies have shown slimmer people are more likely to have, as these numerous little bursts of activity throughout the day eat up of lot of kilojoules meaning less weight. There's also genes which control things called uncoupling proteins. These proteins basically uncouple the oxidative phosphorylation process in the mitochondrion, so instead of NADH, FADH2 being used to produce energy its used to produce heat instead, meaning less energy is stored as fat. Theres also numerous appetite/satiety genes which control hormones such as leptin, ghrelin, PYY3-36 which an over or underproduction or defective production can lead to weight issues.

Enviroment/Society: - Epidemilogical studies have shown that people living in an area of lower socio-economic status are more likely to weigh more, with the most likely reasons being less education, poorer parenting skills, less safe areas for outdoor recreational activity and a higher access to energy-dense foods. Studies have even shown that whilst kids used to walk or ride bikes to school, parents nowadays are too scared for their childrens safety so instead they drive them, depriving them of valueable exercise.

You can't simply blame obesity on genetics. The way our society operates, especially with its overproduction of rich, fatty foods, has a massive impact on the way this illness has reached an almost pandemic status. It's an insidious disease, with consequences such as high blood glucose levels leading to type two diabetes mellitus, hypertension, atherosclerosis, renal failure, colo-rectal cancer, stomach cancer and so on which makes it so dangerous and such a theat to society.

The consensus of the medical society is that it is a disease and studies back up their viewpoint.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
medications can affect your weight easily , so can illness and laziness also affects your weight

its both

Cancer treatments can cause obesity as well

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
People keep saying that calling it "genetics" is an excuse, and the provide absolutely no proof to back that statement up.

CrafterMan

Aug 3, 2008
TheNecroswanson said:
I have a wonderful diet, I have a very active life. I'm doing an hour to almost up to three hours of aerobics and calisthenics a day. I weight train 3 times a week.
And yet I can't lose a single pound.
My friend, eats four times as much as I could eat in a day. He sleeps until noon, and never exercises except for once a month at his reserves drill.
yet he weighs 150 pounds.

There is far more to weight problems then "exercising, laziness, and diet.".

How much do you weigh Necro?

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
It can be both and more.

Though, you quite literally cannot get fat if you get a certain sort of genetic profile.

And then some have other conditions piled on top of it.

... I'll *always* remain heavy because of my genes, but I could be 200lbs instead of 300lbs would my other conditions get treated.

... and that is complicated by yet other diseases. Not everyone overweight is lazy.

So, yeah. Laziness alone cannot get you fat. Laziness combined with the right (wrong?) kind of genes can get you fat. And then there's the cases who literally cannot be thin, but usually these people have more wrong with them as well.

Both the cases who can't be fat and the cases that can't be thin (without extensive medical attention - and maybe not even then) are rare however. Most people just have different levels of difficulty in maintaining their desired body shape - whatever that may be.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
vivaldiscool said:
People keep saying that calling it "genetics" is an excuse, and the provide absolutely no proof to back that statement up.
Uh, it's not JUST genetics. Obesity is a multifactorial illness, meaning it has genetic AND environmental factors. Medical groups know that the abundant amounts of energy-rich fatty foods has contributed to the problem, but genetics is a huge part of it as well.

Look at my previous post for examples on genetic problems which can cause weight issues.

Also, have you ever heard of a disease called Cushings? Cushings is a disease where to much cortisol is released from the adrenal glands leading to obesity because cortisol is a stress hormone which promotes the redistribution of body fat leading to obesity. Cushings is either caused by a cortisol secreting tumour on the adrenal gland, or a tumour of the pituitary gland causing an over release of ACTH (adrenocorticotrophic hormone) which stimulates the release of cortisol. That's a multifactorial illness with genetic and environmental factors that causes obesity. True it's not the cause of every obese individual but genetic factors ARE significant.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
ravens_nest said:
Obesity is an illness caused by fat people becoming fatter. I'm not trying to be clever (i'm probably not anyway) but it doesn't matter what your lifestyle is, any medical problems you may have, genetics, becoming obese is entirely your fault.

Dr Dhurandhar's team took blood samples from people an obesity clinic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7851031.stm

+++++

As for fat people and health care costs:

http://www.slate.com/id/2184475/

I'm not really sure why you have alerted me to this. Please can you explain your thoughts on the matter?

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Just last Saturday, I went to the gym for about three hours. Later that day I felt burnt out and constantly hungry (luckily there's an ample supply of tuna spread at my house). I maintain 150 pounds, which is within the normal range for my height.

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
Although it's less of a problem, "skinny" people face the same dillema. They can still have health problems from being too thin etc. As for larger people, I still maintain that MOST of them are that way due to lack of exercise and eating too much of the wrong thing.

Yes, I am part of the thin crowd, but I still have to work hard to maintain any sort of muscle on my body. Everyone needs to watch and controll their diet. Everyone.

Railu

Aug 7, 2008
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
Railu said:
Drug addicts turn to drugs to ease their pain, overweight people turn to food. Heroin addicts can quit and so can you.
If you quit food, you will die.

Why is it that the people who complain about fat people seem to always be so cruel and dumb?
You can live for 3 weeks without food. Some people can fast for longer than that.

Cut back to the bare minimum, wow, what a concept. Since you went there, I will also call names (idiot) since you also missed the point. That is why I said there is a difference between overweight people and people who over eat.

There is that timeless expression: you are what you eat. If you eat lots of crap, your body will be crap. I eat 1-2 meals a day. Not really that healthy, but I never said that you needed to be lean to be healthy. You can eat healthy food 3 times a day and still be large, those are not the people we're talking about. If you're happy gourging at an all-you-can fish n' chips buffet, all the power to you. But if you're not, don't do it.

How is that even controversial? It's basic will power. If you don't have the mental discipline to overcome it, at least be happy doing it and don't complain about the side effects.

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
GreenDevilJF said:
There are exceptions, but I would much rather not consider obesity an illness but more a side effect of being lazy.
That, I'm fat and I know it's my fault. All these "I'm just big boned *eats cake*" people piss me off, do something about it or admit it.

Lyiat

Dec 10, 2008
Some people are predesposed to a heavier body set. This is pretty much cut and dry, done and done. There is absolutely no reason, however, to be three hundred, four hundred pounds. That type of person engages in little to no physical activity and doesn't regulate their intake what so ever.
I'm 5'7 and I've been a hundred and forty five pounds for a long time. I am a gamer, and I do not have a physical activity to participate in (I haven't practiced karate in about three, four years). This winter, however, I suddenly shot up twenty pounds with no hight gain. So, what am I doing? More salad, push-ups in the morning, and I'm looking to get into the Society for Creative Archaism to participate in Heavy List sparring (Dressing up as knights and going at it with sticks). Guess what? I'm back down to 145.

The people I know that are rediculously overweight are the people who used to be able to eat anything they wanted and not gain a pound. As they got older, however, the weight started to gain... and they didn't change how they live their lives. A problem slowly grew, and now they are completely overweight and don't know how to fix it. What does this become...? An incurable disease.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Inverse Skies said:
vivaldiscool said:
Uh, it's not JUST genetics. Obesity is a multifactorial illness, meaning it has genetic AND environmental factors. Medical groups know that the abundant amounts of energy-rich fatty foods has contributed to the problem, but genetics is a huge part of it as well.

Look at my previous post for examples on genetic problems which can cause weight issues.

Also, have you ever heard of a disease called Cushings? Cushings is a disease where to much cortisol is released from the adrenal glands leading to obesity because cortisol is a stress hormone which promotes the redistribution of body fat leading to obesity. Cushings is either caused by a cortisol secreting tumour on the adrenal gland, or a tumour of the pituitary gland causing an over release of ACTH (adrenocorticotrophic hormone) which stimulates the release of cortisol. That's a multifactorial illness with genetic and environmental factors that causes obesity. True it's not the cause of every obese individual but genetic factors ARE significant.
I...uh, wait, are you agreeing with me? I was talking to the people who say genetics "Is just an excuse."

Railu said:
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
Railu said:
Drug addicts turn to drugs to ease their pain, overweight people turn to food. Heroin addicts can quit and so can you.
If you quit food, you will die.

Why is it that the people who complain about fat people seem to always be so cruel and dumb?
You can live for 3 weeks without food. Some people can fast for longer than that.

Cut back to the bare minimum, wow, what a concept. Since you went there, I will also call names (idiot) since you also missed the point. That is why I said there is a difference between overweight people and people who over eat.

There is that timeless expression: you are what you eat. If you eat lots of crap, your body will be crap. I eat 1-2 meals a day. Not really that healthy, but I never said that you needed to be lean to be healthy. You can eat healthy food 3 times a day and still be large, those are not the people we're talking about. If you're happy gourging at an all-you-can fish n' chips buffet, all the power to you. But if you're not, don't do it.

How is that even controversial? It's basic will power. If you don't have the mental discipline to overcome it, at least be happy doing it and don't complain about the side effects.
While I see what you're getting at, weight loss doesn't work like that at all.