Poll: Obesity: fat people or true illness?

EzraPound

Jan 26, 2008
This is not so much meant to be insulting as it is more of an actual honest question. Should people honestly recognize that others truly are illed and been looked upon as victims or should we see people as fat lazy ass slobbs who have made their own life choices. I for one am caught right in the middle please to persuade me to one side.
1) Some people are going to be possess the appearance of being overweight (women are especially typecasted) even when they're healthy due to being birthed with large body types.

2) Otherwise, it's surprisingly easy - not neccessarily to stay in shape but to not be fat - by keeping your eating between 1500-2500 calories a day (I go for 1700 or so; it depends on your size) and not eating junk food or drinking too many calorie-laden beverages (Coke, Chocolate Milk, Cranberry Juice, etc). Alot of people have problems because they just eat what they want, but don't do the exercise to sustain their habits.

Also noteworthy is that eating can be addiction, like anything else.

TrevorOfCrete

Jun 14, 2008
Like most things you cant lump all people into one catagory. Some people are just lazy and fat, others have genuine disorders etc...

Psypherus

Feb 11, 2009
Seeing that I used to weigh 240 pounds and lost 100 of them by simply putting down the fork and going for a walk, I'd have to say that obesity is a life choice. Dont wanna be fat? get off the couch.

Don't taze me bro

Feb 26, 2009
Lifestyle definitely plays a part. As an Elementary School teacher, I see the food that the children bring for recess and lunch (chips, chocolate, cookies, etc), but I also see that many parents are unwilling to let their children play outside in the street or nearby park, especially unsupervised, for fear of predators. With a calorie rich diet, and parents happier to let their children play inside, or watch TV where they know they are safe, the possibility for overweight children due to lifestyle choices increases.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
both, even if genetics determine you won't be obese, being lazy and eating all day you will get fat, but people HAVE to eat, and to stay healthy its 3 meals a day, some people just have a slow metabolism

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Don said:
Lifestyle definitely plays a part. As an Elementary School teacher, I see the food that the children bring for recess and lunch (chips, chocolate, cookies, etc), but I also see that many parents are unwilling to let their children play outside in the street or nearby park, especially unsupervised, for fear of predators. With a calorie rich diet, and parents happier to let their children play inside, or watch TV where they know they are safe, the possibility for overweight children due to lifestyle choices increases.
really? i never thought about it like that. once again PARENTS FAIL

Feb 13, 2008
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
True. I wonder if it's the shame about being so dumb that gives rise to the desire to treat others with cruelty for no other reason than the fact that they have a different sort of body.
Basic xenophobia. We make ourselves feel better by condemning those that aren't what we say we are. The more priviledged you are, the more likely you are to look down on those without said priviledges. Especially at the media looks down on you for the same reason.

"But you can become one of the priviledged with this special offer. Send no money today!"

Superbeast

Bound up the dead triumphantly!
Jan 7, 2009
Hmm, I'm 104kg/229lb roughly 6' and nearly 20; and at the moment I've a hell of a beer-gut (I became an alcoholic about a year and a half ago, now sorted that but it's darn difficult to shift the damage done).

I don't eat too healthily - my work at a convenience store means I leave home at about midday and don't get back until 10pm, so I'm eating right before I go to bed most times. I also don't get enough sleep (about 5 hours, not 8).

These are two major factors that contribute to my (and many other peoples' in this modern world) problems with being overweight.

However, I am not obese (just overweight with a beer gut) - the rest of me isn't fat, I try to go running a couple of times a week (when I manage to catch up on some sleep I'm going to make it a 5-times-a-week thing) and do regular weights (well, not regular enough because I'm too tired, but again improving it to 5x a week). Having toned muscles boosts your metabolism, helping you to loose weight without adjusting what you are eating too drastically (a little maths to ensure you aren't overloading on saturated fats or calories). I usually go for a 6-12 mile walk once or twice a week (I refuse to pay over £5 to get a bus for 6/7 miles), and my legs, shoulders and arms are solid muscle (played a lot of rugby in my youth).

I used a metabolic rate calculator, and based on my height it calculated that my body is using nearly 4000 calories a day to keep running. Since I only eat 2-3000 calories (my big issue is that with no time to eat I settle for very energy-rich foods like chocolate) - so I'm technically eating less than I'm theoretically burning. But I'm still not loosing any weight whatsoever (because of the times I eat).

Obesity itself can be a disease, as sources by previous posters. However, in a fair majority of cases it isn't, and is caused by lifestyle factors - either through shovelling food into your face, by eating at inappropriate times and not getting enough sleep. A side-effect of stress can be weight-gain too (notice these last 3 are all very difficult to avoid in the current working climate?).

I know full well in my case it's a problem with eating the wrong stuff, at the wrong times, not as much exercise as I'd like and so on. I know that I can't really adjust the times, and I like what I eat (since it's very sugar and fat-rich it has a very positive mood effect), so I'm trying to ramp up the exercise to try to shift the beer-gut. I'm not exactly lazy (I need to spend more time in bed lol), but certainly should be more active to improve my heart/lungs as well.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
There fat because there lazy there's no other excuse, if it was genetic then surely you'd have poor children in third world countries who could gain fat easily. but no it always seem to be that the richer someone is the higher chance of them being a fat slob. I'm a bit underweight apparently and while it could be genetic I blame it on forgetting to eat and regular exercise and sports.

xxnightlawxx

Nov 6, 2008
only one way that is not just oh they are just fat is if they actually cannot physically excercise but that is the only way

xxnightlawxx

Nov 6, 2008
Don said:
omg thanl you i miss back when i was i kid that it was possible to just go outside and play with friends not having to worry much about many things you know i mean cmon

May 17, 2007
OP:

1) Use spellcheck. It's not as good as knowing how to write for yourself, but it beats what you're doing there.

2) Those poll options aren't mutually exclusive. In fact they don't even go together well. For the record: Illness, Genetics and Life Choices.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
most likely it's all down to what you eat. i knew some parents that were overweight and had 3 kids but the eldest and youngest were slim, the middle was big but not nearly as big as the parents so genetics may not be factor. their diet wasn't great but if they ate the same thing all the time, wouldn't they all be overweight? unless it was just that the eldest and youngest did more exercise.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
This subject came up before, and while I'm overweight, hell, fat, I'd like to reiterate what someone else said...

If someone is fat, does that give anyone the right to abuse them and make them feel worse, someone else liking cake does not give you the right to be an evil nasty fucker. This isn't about equal rights or equating weight to any minority, its a simple case of give everyone respect until they prove they don't deserve it.

In my opinion 'going large' does not mean people are allowed to hurl abuse.

On another point tho, having watched Supersize me, 'eating huge amounts of far and sugar laden food every day makes you put on weight - shock news', however, as a Brit I was surprised by the sheer SIZE of the portions, I mean, a 4 pint soda? Who needs more than a pint with a meal, unless of course the meal is hugely oversized too.

May I refer people to http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/ , I love junk food, but just about every picture makes me feel almost nauseous. There's really people out there choosing to eat this stuff?

Then again, look the competitive eating champions, it seems the majority of the people who can REALLY eat seem to be average to small, last champion I saw was some 90lb asian girl, who beat out a whole wall of 400lb trucker types.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
If your a kid and your fat there's a 90% chance you won't be fat when your about 18 or so. I was fat when I was a kid mainly 'cause my dad's side of family was "fat". I'm thin now tho.
I'd 50% of the people that are fat are 'cause of genetics. The other 50% simply just ate to much and didn't do sports and got fat.

gh0ti

Apr 10, 2008
Straight off: This reply isn't aimed at people happy with their weight, but I'm getting sick of people I know complaining they can't lose weight and how unfair it is, whilst they deceive themselves into believing they are doing everything they can to achieve it.

There is no excuse for there being so many people in the clinically obese category. No matter your genetic disposition (barring documented medical condition) you don't get to that kind of weight without overeating and underexercising. I don't mean to belittle the mental aspect, as I understand that a psychological condition can be every bit as debilitating as a physical one, but I firmly believe that the vast majority of people could lose weight if they wanted to. Not everyone is thin, I sure as hell aren't, but very few people are necessarily huge.

Eat three meals of the size suggested on packaging each day, get down the gym three times a week and for the love of god, don't eat just because you're hungry.

RetiarySword

Apr 27, 2008
Its not an illness. If they put on weight when on a controlled diet and excersize, its an illness because they have no control dispite taking active measures. If they don't do anything about it and put no effort in, they need to move their fat arse and do somethign about it.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I think do eat just because your hungry, the main problem is people eating when they're not, but instead when they're bored, or watching a movie, or they're halfway thru a meal and not hungry but carry on anyways.

Along with, as I said before the common thing nowadays of many people doing so little physical activity