Poll: Obesity: fat people or true illness?

TrevorOfCrete

Jun 14, 2008
george144 said:
There fat because there lazy there's no other excuse, if it was genetic then surely you'd have poor children in third world countries who could gain fat easily. but no it always seem to be that the richer someone is the higher chance of them being a fat slob. I'm a bit underweight apparently and while it could be genetic I blame it on forgetting to eat and regular exercise and sports.
What about depression, mental illness, bulimia nerosa, alcoholism, GAD and even just plain old fashioned stress.

Why is it that anorexia is not seen in the same light? that is seen as a genuine illness. That is also a eating disorder, why should over-indulging been seen in any other way to under-indulging. They can both be a result of lifestyle and both come hand in hand with increased health risks.

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
I'd have to say a large section of it is just laziness and the crap that we eat.
Sure it also boils down to genetics and metabolism. I mean some people just gain weight easier than others.
Also the fact that there isn't just one type of people, if my science class taught me well enough to remember it, there is three. (correct me if i'm wrong.)

What annoys me is the fact that junk food is cheaper to buy than healthier foods in most general stores.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
TrevorOfCrete said:
george144 said:
There fat because there lazy there's no other excuse, if it was genetic then surely you'd have poor children in third world countries who could gain fat easily. but no it always seem to be that the richer someone is the higher chance of them being a fat slob. I'm a bit underweight apparently and while it could be genetic I blame it on forgetting to eat and regular exercise and sports.
What about depression, mental illness, bulimia nerosa, alcoholism, GAD and even just plain old fashioned stress.

Why is it that anorexia is not seen in the same light? that is seen as a genuine illness. That is also a eating disorder, why should over-indulging been seen in any other way to under-indulging. They can both be a result of lifestyle and both come hand in hand with increased health risks.
Yes some of those problems do have an effect on obesity but they are the minority, the majority of fat people are just fat because they eat a lot and don't do enough exercise.

Also anorexia is an illness that people cannot avoid as they are affected by the media and peers. But overweight people have not been pressured into overeating, in fact society tells us its bad to be overweight but people still get fat because there greedy. If we say its an illness its just giving fat people a crutch to fall back as they can whine that there ill and need help when all they really need to do is put down the fork. But that's just my opinion.

JDviewer

Mar 3, 2009
apmpnmdslkbk said:
JDviewer said:
When I was 18 I spent most of my time studying to get the grades to get into university. I didn't do any exercise at the time, and with three square meals a day and snacks I ended up becoming obese.

It was only when in university did I think about my own health and changed my diet and began exercising properly. Two years later and I've lost over two stone, and am hoping to lose at least another stone. Changing my lifestyle allowed me to become alot thinner and healthier.

I do believe that some people are more likely to become obese than others but also that their lifestyle is a major factor. People can bring it onto themselves with no-one else to blame but themselves.
What is a stone?

Oh and congrats on the weight loss.
A stone is a measurement of weight. 1 stone is about 6.35 kilograms.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
its mainly because people eat too much but there are few who do have an illness.

(liking Donuts is not an illness)

Vanilla Gorilla

Jan 15, 2009
I used to be a chubster (16 stone, 6ft 1in) but dropped 5 stone about 5 years ago through exercise and diet, since then I seem to be able to eat pretty much anything and not have my weight fluctuate too much (probably because of overall lifestyle changes). Genetics and metabolism may play a part but at the end of the day 99.9% of fat people are that way because they eat crap, they eat too much and they dont get enough exercise. Saying its a disease is counter productive, if people are happy to be fat then much respect to them, thats a valid life choice, dont turn around though and say "its not my fault" because it probably is.

brtshstel

Dec 16, 2008
Some people are predisposed to obesity. Others have an real illness that makes the mthat way. Then there are people who just eat too much and are lazy.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
It's laziness unless proven otherwise by their doctor, however I do agree with Necro I exercise very rarely and eat a lot but I haven't gained or lost a pound for ages. So it could be genitics, who knows?
I weigh about 180 and I'm 5'11"ish.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
Hey they could loose the weight. It's there own fat-arse selves that say its an illness, I just realized the rascist (can you call the fatties a race?) that was and somehow I'm proud of it. If they want to loose weight I'm all for it, they can do it, if they also want to be obese and die early ten they can do so. I somehow make fun of fat people alot, don't really care what that says about me, if you think it's bad then you don't know the same fat-folks, the ones I know are just bad people, and we should give justice to the in-just. I consider myself n the same lines as a judge, Judge Whaley's courtroom is now in order, the large people stand up and tell me how many burgers they want.

Also your poll is flawed, if you put silly answers on it then you can't get good results, everyone wants to be "funny" even if nobody knows what they did. I chose to state me luv of a good badonkadonk. Nobody call me a rascist, i have feelings to and saying so only proves your need for it.

InifniteWit

Oct 24, 2008
Well look at heavyweight wrestlers(Not TV) and boxers, many of them including myself are considered obese technically while being perfectly healthy. My uncle was six foot four and weighed three hundred pounds. I'm six foot 270. A lot of big people are just that, big. For a frame my size I will never realistically weigh under 200lbs partly because of my plain size and my choice of sports. And there are others who are just fat slobs. A good indicator in my experience is to look at their joints. Fat people with tiny wrists and ankles probably aren't just heavy set, while if someone has equivalent joints to their size they probably would never be a little skinny kid or the like. Also I have amazing calves.

Seldon2639

Feb 21, 2008
george144 said:
TrevorOfCrete said:
george144 said:

Yes some of those problems do have an effect on obesity but they are the minority, the majority of fat people are just fat because they eat a lot and don't do enough exercise.

Also anorexia is an illness that people cannot avoid as they are affected by the media and peers. But overweight people have not been pressured into overeating, in fact society tells us its bad to be overweight but people still get fat because there greedy. If we say its an illness its just giving fat people a crutch to fall back as they can whine that there ill and need help when all they really need to do is put down the fork. But that's just my opinion.
I'm only curious about your distinction between one form of brain chemistry and another. You accept that psychological illnesses can have an effect on obesity, but that the root cause is not illness. That's a bit of a contradiction. If obesity is "bad" in the same way that depression is "bad", then whatever neurology causes it is by definition either maladaptive, or also "ill" (in the truest sense of the word). What's the difference between having brain chemistry screwing up oneself in one form, rather than another?

Mazty said:
My situation is irrelevant. If someone does not have the opportunity to participate in sports or lead a normal, healthy life, and another person who has a choice & chooses to throw all that away for gluttony, that is unforgivable. Unless that person cures all disabilites, he still is spitting in the faces of the disabled.
Maybe not all, but probably the vast majority of disabled people can only dream of leading a normal life, then you have some over weight guy, who is throwing away those possibilities for an extra pie. It truly sickens me.
Same question here. You say that the obese are spitting in the face of the disabled, but why are the obese not disabled in and of themselves? You'd say that schizophrenia is a disability, I assume, same thing with any other mental disorder. Why not obesity (or, at least, the neurology required to become obese)? All we've got up there is the brain, so either we blame everyone for the "choices" their brain makes (including those caused by maladaptation and errors), or we don't blame anyone and call it all disability. There's no middle ground without either saying "but it's a choice" (when modern neurology tells us it's all chemical and mechanical reactions, same thing that causes neurological disorders) or being a terrible hypocrite.

Gamine

Mar 7, 2009
I have always wondered what it feels like to be fat, i wonder if you see yourself expanding or you just wake up one morning , take a look in the mirror and HEY! you is Fat!

I am a Skinny gal trying to gain weight, not so skinny but id like a few founds, a lil fat is good for everyone but when you cross the size 14s and you have to have tailor-made underwear. .PLS..GET HELP!

seidlet

Mar 5, 2009
Gamine said:
I have always wondered what it feels like to be fat, i wonder if you see yourself expanding or you just wake up one morning , take a look in the mirror and HEY! you is Fat!

I am a Skinny gal trying to gain weight, not so skinny but id like a few founds, a lil fat is good for everyone but when you cross the size 14s and you have to have tailor-made underwear. .PLS..GET HELP!
uhhh....you don't have to have tailor-made underwear at a size 16. i wore a size 16 for a LONG time, and i wasn't all that fat. not everyone is 5'4", you know.

seidlet

Mar 5, 2009
Mazty said:
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
Mazty said:
Fat people disgust me. I think it's an appalling way to treat your own body & they're effectively spitting in the face of anyone who is truly disabled.
What about a fat person who is a doctor specializing in research and/or treatment of the disabled?

What exactly do you do to ease the plight of the disabled?
My situation is irrelevant. If someone does not have the opportunity to participate in sports or lead a normal, healthy life, and another person who has a choice & chooses to throw all that away for gluttony, that is unforgivable. Unless that person cures all disabilites, he still is spitting in the faces of the disabled.
Maybe not all, but probably the vast majority of disabled people can only dream of leading a normal life, then you have some over weight guy, who is throwing away those possibilities for an extra pie. It truly sickens me.
this is a totally bizarre line of logic, considering that the vast majority of fat people lead a perfectly normal life.