Poll: Obesity: fat people or true illness?

Seldon2639

Feb 21, 2008
Gamine said:
I have always wondered what it feels like to be fat, i wonder if you see yourself expanding or you just wake up one morning , take a look in the mirror and HEY! you is Fat!

I am a Skinny gal trying to gain weight, not so skinny but id like a few founds, a lil fat is good for everyone but when you cross the size 14s and you have to have tailor-made underwear. .PLS..GET HELP!
From personal experience (in both gaining and losing weight) it's really gradual. You don't really notice it at all until you have to buy new pants. Even then, it's still slow enough that seeing yourself every morning you don't see gain, just the status quo. The reverse is true, too. You don't notice loss, just staying the same (which is why it's difficult to keep going in weight loss sometimes)

Keela

Aug 16, 2008
I believe that sometimes, it really is an illness or genetics. But, most of the time, it's because of laziness and/or poor diet. I should know, because I am an American, and there are LOADS of chubs over here. However, there are also some very healthy and responsible people too. I think I'm somewhere in the middle.

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
95% of fat people are fat because they eat too much and don't exercise.

There are 5% though that eat normal amounts of food (a sandwich at lunch, bowl of cereal at breakfast, normal sized dinner) and still get sickeningly huge.

You usually don't see these people though, they are usually embarrassed about it and try to be seen in public as little as possible while the ones that ate themselves fat don't care and take off shirts at the beach and other nasty things.

Gamine

Mar 7, 2009
seidlet said:
Gamine said:
I have always wondered what it feels like to be fat, i wonder if you see yourself expanding or you just wake up one morning , take a look in the mirror and HEY! you is Fat!

I am a Skinny gal trying to gain weight, not so skinny but id like a few founds, a lil fat is good for everyone but when you cross the size 14s and you have to have tailor-made underwear. .PLS..GET HELP!
uhhh....you don't have to have tailor-made underwear at a size 16. i wore a size 16 for a LONG time, and i wasn't all that fat. not everyone is 5'4", you know.
Uh huh, i said when you actually need the tailor-made underwear. . .i never mentioned size 16 in my post o

Gamine

Mar 7, 2009
Seldon2639 said:
Gamine said:

From personal experience (in both gaining and losing weight) it's really gradual. You don't really notice it at all until you have to buy new pants. Even then, it's still slow enough that seeing yourself every morning you don't see gain, just the status quo. The reverse is true, too. You don't notice loss, just staying the same (which is why it's difficult to keep going in weight loss sometimes)
I see my weight loss happening, i know what i can do to stop it, so i just start eating more/better and i try to gain back weight.

Gamine

Mar 7, 2009
Keela said:
I believe that sometimes, it really is an illness or genetics. But, most of the time, it's because of laziness and/or poor diet. I should know, because I am an American, and there are LOADS of chubs over here. However, there are also some very healthy and responsible people too. I think I'm somewhere in the middle.
Americans can be FAT!! ahh my goddess! there must be something in the water! i have friends who went to the States over a year or two ago, i see their pics on Facebook now and i can hardly recognise them!!

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
InifniteWit said:
Well look at heavyweight wrestlers(Not TV) and boxers, many of them including myself are considered obese technically while being perfectly healthy. My uncle was six foot four and weighed three hundred pounds. I'm six foot 270. A lot of big people are just that, big. For a frame my size I will never realistically weigh under 200lbs partly because of my plain size and my choice of sports. And there are others who are just fat slobs. A good indicator in my experience is to look at their joints. Fat people with tiny wrists and ankles probably aren't just heavy set, while if someone has equivalent joints to their size they probably would never be a little skinny kid or the like. Also I have amazing calves.
I understand exactly what you are talking about, but generally people with a build like that aren't disgusting to look at. If I drop to under 200lbs I'll look like paris hilton.

Magic Murder Bag

Jan 15, 2009
Gamine said:
seidlet said:
Gamine said:

uhhh....you don't have to have tailor-made underwear at a size 16. i wore a size 16 for a LONG time, and i wasn't all that fat. not everyone is 5'4", you know.
Uh huh, i said when you actually need the tailor-made underwear. . .i never mentioned size 16 in my post o
No but you said 'when you cross size 14', which would suggest 14 and above. Size 14 (in the UK at least) is only 1 size above what is considered a healthy weight range, all you need to do to drop the extra couple of stone is healthy eating and exercise, not 'get help'. You made it sound like people of that size need to go to boot camp or something. Sorry to seem like I'm having a go but I'm a 16 myself and losing weight. I don't need help, or tailor-made underwear.

Virus017

Feb 20, 2009
One word that I can think of over and over again in this thread is generalisation. indeed most obese people are obese because it is their own fault, but saying that for ALL obese people is very bad. It's hard to imagine what people with genuine illnesses go through when people stereotype them all the time. It's sad to admit it but maybe even I generalise in the back of my mind (I have never been overweight. Maybe even at tad underweight now), it is a big problem in today's society.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Some people do suffer from a gene that makes them heavier, although I don't think its that common. Most overweight people are either to blame themselves, or in the case of young children, the parents.

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
I think being like, diagnostically obese is an illness. Its obviously a result of no will power to stop eating so much or start exercising. This is why I'm voting "both".

Arcade_Fire

Mar 7, 2009
I think it's a combination of life choices and genetics, isn't it? On just usually outweighs the other depending on the case.

Pun intended. BOOM.