Poll: Obesity: fat people or true illness?

NiceGurl_14

Aug 14, 2008
It's as a lot of people have said, it could go either way. I, for example, try to get out and exercise and I still can't lose weight. A large part of it is the genetics but not all of it. ( I have other medical conditions that add to it) so a lot of the time it tends to be an unfortunate side affect of things like medications or due to injury or something like that.

kanyatta

Aug 6, 2008
It's different for everyone. There are people who just choose not to take care of themselves, then there are people who are predisposed to it.

Personally, I'm 6'1"~ and 200 lbs, and I'm 18 years old. I'd like to be at about 170-180, so I've run 1-3 miles a day for the past 2 years, and I play basketball and football pretty regularly. I rarely, if ever, have candy, chips, whatever. The only "junk food" I ever have is soda, and I just can't kick the habit. Although, to say I have 1 soda per day would be a huge stretch.

Granted, I play video games as well, but I still exercise at least an hour a day, and eat pretty well, in my opinion, but I haven't lost a single pound in 2 years. But, I guess I've only gained about 10 in 2 years, which isn't that bad...

Yeah, anyway, just because you have luck in the metabolism department, don't assume everyone else does. Some people probably work many times harder than you, and don't have nearly as good results.

Ronwue

Oct 22, 2008
Obesity, in my opinion, is not a disease. How you can tell this? There are no naturally fat chimps out there, at least to my knowledge... then again... I'm not a zoologist so I wouldn't know for sure. You can always stop eating.

JokerGrin

Jan 11, 2009
Hunde Des Krieg said:
Well, it isn't so cut and dry. Some people are lazy and become fat, some people are basically fat for life due to slower than normal metabolisms, other people don't know when to stop eating. It is never black and white no matter how it may appear.
Well that saves me a lot of typing, thanks.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
In my opinion, obesity is the result of lazy individuals who have great difficulty in putting the bloody fork down.

Granted, in some (rare) cases it can be attributed to outside influences which are beond the individual's control, but these circumstances are so rare that the large majority of fat people out there can't tag along on this scapegoat and need to take responsability for their own condition and do something about it or accept themselves as they are and stop making a scene. (just for clarity, I am not some scrawny stick insect...I am a fairly large person myself, although I could probably be better described as 'burly' rather than 'chubby')

Considering how we have bigger problems in the world I don't have much sympathy for the self-pity of those who waste time whining about how they're not satisfied with the way they look.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh or cold and I appologise if I offend anyone.

Xanadeas

Oct 19, 2008
Mazty said:
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
Mazty said:
Your argument completely fails as you believe you have to be fat to enjoy food.
I never said that. Strawman.
It's for the additional pleasure of the food that made you obese. Stop with the strawman arguments.
So then the only reason a person becomes obese, isn't infact to enjoy food, it's because he enjoys it too much,
Who said he enjoys it too much? You're stuffing your conclusion in your premise now.
No, the only person doing the stuffing is the fat person. The fact that the person is putting his life in permanent danger for the love of eating shows he has his priorities wrong.

The more obese you are, the more you will want to eat to enjoy food,
Not necessarily.
Find me a fat person that eats in moderation. Oh wait, if that was the case they wouldn't be fat.

You ignore the damage sports do to the body.
I've watched a dude break his ankle playing sports so that it was turned ninety degrees the wrong way. I'd rather see a hundred naked fat people do jumping jacks than see that again.
Sport isn't the safest thing on the planet, but that doesn't happen every time someone goes to play a sport does it?
Not every fat person dies of a heart attack, do they?
No, but every obese person suffers because of it in one way or another. When a person stops playing sports, the danger goes away. When a fat person stops eating, the risk is still there 24/7.

Do you look on people who play sports other than badminton the way you look on fat people?
I said for example, stop being pedantic and making strawmen. Again sports in the whole is healthy & productive for a person, shovelling food into your mouth isn't, and most of the time it's not for the pleasure of food, it's comfort eating. No different to someone on crack. Instead of dealing with an issue, they turn to something else.

A broken neck and a severed spinal column won't [get better].
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5285186.stm
Because you hear about broken necks and spinal columns so much in the news as a result of sport. Wait, no you don't, and severe sports injuries won't come close to the figure of 12 million.
Don't doubt the ability of ideology to influence science.
Any evidence that all the problems caused by obesity, which is a huge list, is cheaper on the health system than that of a healthy person?
Once again:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/18.92284.1441627
That's for the US health system, not the NHS. Plus it hasn't seemed to be vastly scientifically credited, hence the really crappy journal. Also it works on the fale assumption that all old people end up ill in a hospital.

How do you know being fat is the addiction? It's the overeating that's the addiction. Maybe they were addicted before they got fat. If so, they are more like crack babies than smokers.
Being fat isn't the addiction, how on earth would that work? Fattys are addicted to food, not being in a bad state of health. How are they like crack babies? Obese people are a result of their lack of will to put down a fork, hence the reason they are not disabled; just weak.

Yeah, I know about them. Doesn't diminish the number of disabled who got that way through reckless activity like drunk driving or the fact that you keep ignoring the fact that many disabled wound up that way through reckless behavior--behavior way more reckless than eating another slice of pizza.
Any figures, or going to ignorantly act like the majority
Any dictionaries, or are you going to pretend that "many"="majority" to construct another strawman?
Alright, if you insist on being pedantic. Any figures to show how many people are disabled as a result of their own reckless behaviour? Somehow I don't think it'll come close to how many people are obese through reckless/unhealthy behaviour, which is almost all of them.

You're equivocating on the meaning of the word "normal" moving without justification from the medical to the moral sense.
How can a fat person lead a normal life? They are stigmatised for their addiction and are in an unhealthy state. They are limited to what they can do because of their health, so that is not a normal life.

Um, no--you can't just stop at the entry you like. Decadence can also mean "a luxurious self-indulgence"
self-indulgence - an inability to resist the gratification of whims and desires
Sounds like an addiction to me. And an addiction is down to weakness of character.

Being fat is giving into an unhealthy desire, just the same as smoking, or cocaine.
I'm quite a large individual myself... The reason isn't due to overeating. It's because I don't exercise or eat right. I eat one standard meal a day. I NEVER drink water and I admit to having a bit of a sweet tooth. I am not constantly stuffing my face nor do I drink lots of soda. In fact I might have one soda every couple weeks. I don't eat fast food too often (it tastes kinda nasty now actually) but I used to.

So far all I've seen of your posts is you saying that fat people are only fat because they over eat. That is not the case, a person can get fat because they don't eat enough and their body's metabolism begins to slow down. The body begins to hold onto everything you give it and stores it as fat so that it can later be burned for energy. Insinuating and even outright stating that every fat person is fat because they live a "decadent' lifestyle is nothing more than ignorance to the highest degree.

Now I've admitted to being lazy, but I didn't mention that I also have asthma, arthritis, and a number of other health concerns that prevent me from exercising. For me exercising is not rewarding but punishing. My lungs feel as though they're on fire and I cease being able to breathe. When I was a child I was frequently rushed to the emergency room for medical treatment because of my asthma acting up whenever I even attempted to run for any amount of time.

I am fat because 1) I have a predisposition towards it. Lots of people in my family are large. When I was a kid I was not fat but I was still quite large due to having a naturally heavy build. 2) I have suffered from asthma my whole life and after a while I stopped trying to exercise because the prospect of dying from asphyxia scared the shit out of me. 3) I don't eat enough to ensure that my metabolism functions properly and thus my body continues to hold onto the things that I do give it.

I am NOT fat because I overeat or even enjoy eating. I would love be skinnier, I would love to not suffer from asthma and arthritis. I would love to live a "normal" life. I would like it if children wouldn't tug on their mother's shirts and say "He's fat" when I'm in line to purchase a bottle of juice at the gas station. However due to a number of factors out of my control, I am fat. I live with that fact and I do not ask for sympathy, I ask for idiots to stop bein' dicks to me and saying that I am fat because I over eat.

Apr 28, 2008
People complain that they are fat, yet I see very few actually go on a diet and work out and actually make a commitment. I just can't stand it when people say that they are fat because of genetics when they eat fast food everyday. Maybe stopping the McDonalds intake will do something.

Of course thats probably not true for most obese people, just the jackasses who complain about being fat and eat fatty foods all the time

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Anonymouse said:
Actually some of the hardest working people I know are fat. They are always busy so don't have time for a decent diet and eat what they can when they can, that or only have one meal a day.
I would just like to say I am incredibly lazy, yet also underweight. I might only eat one meal a day or I might have 3, some days I forget to eat at all. Just goes to show that eating loads is not the be all and end all of how large you are.

As far as being overweight goes, if you aren't prepared to do what it takes to loose weight, whatever that might be and you are ok with how large you are then fuck it, who am I to complain about how big you are?

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
TheNecroswanson said:
I have a wonderful diet, I have a very active life. I'm doing an hour to almost up to three hours of aerobics and calisthenics a day. I weight train 3 times a week.
And yet I can't lose a single pound.
My friend, eats four times as much as I could eat in a day. He sleeps until noon, and never exercises except for once a month at his reserves drill.
yet he weighs 150 pounds.

There is far more to weight problems then "exercising, laziness, and diet.".
Agreed. The only exercise I ever get in a week is walking around school to my next lesson and i'm actually underwieght.