Poll: ODST: The Final Straw

LockHeart

Apr 9, 2009
BentNeatly said:
LockHeart said:
It seems like a good move to me - they're appealing to their slavering fan base, introducing a human element to a power-armoured uber-alien dominated series, and adding some new gameply elements. All seems like a good way to make money out of the fanbase and you might even get a decent game out of it.
Yea, but at that point why not make a game thats similar but without the halo name on it?
Nothing to draw in the fans like a brand. Plus without the whole Halo canon/brand, they'd just end up with a generic human-marines-kill-aliens-in-a-setting-that-could-be-Halo-but-arbitrarily-isn't game. I quite like it, it should expand on the setting quite nicely :)

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Please please dont flame me for this "Raises flame shield" but... i don't want ODST... i want halo 4. I loved playing as a spartan. I dont like change, hence why i dislike the characters in L4D. Why dammit why!

Things we cannot do in ODST:
Duel wield
(I heard) you cannot use covonent weapons
Use swords or hammers
Melee brutes to death
Be awesome
Jump really high
Be a complete jugganaut.

Catfoot

Jul 29, 2009
I dont see the problem.
People like Halo games, they sell well. Bungie are good to the fans. I dont see the problem really.
Although I do think it's better to come up with orginal idea than push out 50 sequels, but they did something good with Halo Wars by getting FPs fans to play a genre they otherwise wouldn't.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
somedude98 said:
Things we cannot do in ODST:
Duel wield
Jump really high
Those are true... though you can jump from quite a height if you don't mind the falling damage and relearn the Halo 1 trick of hitting "crouch" on landing.

(I heard) you cannot use covonent weapons
Use swords or hammers
Melee brutes to death
Nope, those are wrong. You can use Covenant weapons, indeed folks playing "Firefight" found plasma pistols very useful in taking down Brutes. The only reason you can't use swords is that there aren't any in the mix... and you can melee Brutes to death, it just takes longer.

Be awesome
Be a complete jugganaut.
That depends upon your inherent awesomeness and juggernautability. Just like in the other games.

-- Steve

IncindiaryPickle

Aug 20, 2009
BentNeatly said:
IncindiaryPickle said:
I don't think we NEED it per say, but I certainly am excited over it's release.
As for going 'too far', I don't believe that either. There are series' that take it WAY further.
What I do need is to see what Bungie has planned after the Halo series.
when i say need, and every one take note here, i mean it in this way:

Need, in a way that will push the world it will enter into forward.

Will ODST break any Ground? Will it carry games in a new direction? Will it bring something new and exciting to the table? do we need it in the necessary line of gaming evolution?

No. The answer is no. It will not be our matrix, or our godfather, or our Gone With the Wind. It will not be the best of a genre, it will not be "Needed" in any way, Because it will not move us forward, it will not advance the technology and innovation of shooters. It will only be very fun cereal, distinguishable from frosted flakes only by the big brand name on the box.

The word need is very hard to fathom when referring to video games, but it is possible to catch the gist of what im saying.
I'm sorry, I thought you meant 'need' in a much less business-like attitude. But note I said I need, as in for me (I didn't mean to sound like a jerk if I did, I just wanted to stress that).

Skillswords

Mar 25, 2009
heres a very simple way to explain the bungie strat
-Make repetitive bland game with top-of-the-line graphics
-continue to make sequels with bad cliffhanger endings
-once third one is out, put the "last game" label to increase sales
-pump out as many halo prequels as possible before public catches on
-grab older genre and re-use older franchises
-rinse and repeat
because innovation is for the indie crap [/sarcasm]

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Skillswords said:
heres a very simple way to explain the bungie strat
-Make repetitive bland game with top-of-the-line graphics
-continue to make sequels with bad cliffhanger endings
-once third one is out, put the "last game" label to increase sales
-pump out as many halo prequels as possible before public catches on
-grab older genre and re-use older franchises
-rinse and repeat
because innovation is for the indie crap [/sarcasm]
Reading your hallucination is amusing.

Let me give you more realistic run down:
-Make game which is unlike anything else available, even if it doesn't have many entirely original concepts.
-Suddenly become flagship game for an entire console.
-Release sequel adding new game mechanics, new characters, new weapons and most importantly Xbox Live functionality.
-Become the number one game on Xbox Live.
-blah blah blah

You know what, stuff it. I could give a bunch of reasons why it's a good game series, but you'd probably hand wave them due to some delusion that when lots of games copy one game, it is the original which is bland. So I will just give you the following poser:

Can you give a reason to explain the Halo series being bad despite massive success which doesn't boil down to "I think other people's opinions are wrong"?

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
Gaming: serious business.

I'm pretty sure we don't need halo ODST, but then again, we don't need games at all. Games, as they are intended to do, are to entertain you. If a game has done that, then their isn't much more to ask for.

If you really don't want it or like it, don't complain or look at it. I mean, in all honesty, is Bungie forcing you to buy it?

I don't even know why I bothered to post here, as it will have no effect on your opinions or views, but it just seems useless to complain about something that you're buying isn't it?

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
And here I was thinking that this would be ODST: The Final Thread.
Sadly, I know there will be another shed-load when the game is actually released.

Anyways, yes, we need ODST, because I don't want to be a giant space-marine who can run into a room with enemies twice his size and smite them all with his pinky finger.

And I want the maps...

*Hehe...people paid for those.*

ShardReaper

Aug 20, 2009
Jaqen Hghar said:
irishstormtrooper said:
Really, I don't thin anyone cared about the plot of Halo in the first place. You are a faceless, voiceless, armored badass who is the last hope of humanity. Now, go kill!

If anything, the new direction ODST is taking is for the better. From what I've heard, the plot looks halfway decent, but that could just be because Nathan Fillion is in it.
First of all, Captain Mal is in this! Now I do need this game... Damn.

Second of all, not anyone cared about the plot? I care a lot. When I heard they had made books I thought it seemed stupid. Then I read some reviews, got the books, and learned that the story behind the games is made of pure win. The games are actually dumbed a lot down as far as the books go, IMO. I am glad that they will end the Halo franchise after Reach, but I am also glad we are getting ODST and Reach. Looks like ODST at least might feel more like the books.

And six games isn't that much. Especially when it is a continuing storyline.
He's right, ya know. Think of Sonic and Spyro and six Halo games will seem like things are just beginning.

Skillswords

Mar 25, 2009
Geo Da Sponge said:

You know what, stuff it. I could give a bunch of reasons why it's a good game series, but you'd probably hand wave them due to some delusion that when lots of games copy one game, it is the original which is bland. So I will just give you the following poser:

Can you give a reason to explain the Halo series being bad despite massive success which doesn't boil down to "I think other people's opinions are wrong"?
very basically halo does NOTHING new
hell it has space marines against unquestionably evil aliens (Doom anybody) which are religious (protoss!!!) along with horribly grotesque Deformed monsters (sounds like Zerg from starcraft) that have no real reason. yea there's that whole backstory with the older aliens being genocidal because they were angst, but nothing is really explained in depth, nothing makes halo different then the quadrillions of other space marine heroes

the weapons all are the basic assault rifles, SMG, sniper rifle, bazooka, nades, nade launcher, pistol that sucks that will never seriously be used, and covenant weapons are the same but pink and shoots blue. originality would be appreciated

also, how much has changed since halo 1, the health that didn't regenerate got removed, the graphics improved, added one or two new guns and THATS IT, it's not like Oddworld where one game your a one legged electric zapping, machine possessing "gabbit", to a large lion person that shot insects and small rodents including (but not limited to) giant spiders, bees, Giant shelled slugs, and cute fuzzles that would rip enemies apart to the point that it sounded like texas chainsaw massacre

the real thing that set me off was that when the third game came out, it was known to all as the last halo game and interviews said that "you would finish a fight" and "the last halo game" only after every man and there dog bought it thinking they'd perfect it as a last game and all the extra hype, they pumped out ODST or Orbital Drop Shock trooper (which are like assault terminators except WITHOUT BALLS) and Halo: reach
my rant for today, now i'm pooped

strangemoose

Aug 29, 2009
dude if you don't like a game don't tear who ever made it apart just don't play it if you don't like it instead of wasting your life on internet forums complaining

RAKais

Jan 14, 2009
Skillswords said:
Geo Da Sponge said:

hell it has space marines against unquestionably evil aliens (Doom anybody) which are religious (protoss!!!) along with horribly grotesque Deformed monsters (sounds like Zerg from starcraft) that have no real reason. yea there's that whole backstory with the older aliens being genocidal because they were angst, but nothing is really explained in depth, nothing makes halo different then the quadrillions of other space marine heroes

the weapons all are the basic assault rifles, SMG, sniper rifle, bazooka, nades, nade launcher, pistol that sucks that will never seriously be used, and covenant weapons are the same but pink and shoots blue. originality would be appreciated

also, how much has changed since halo 1, the health that didn't regenerate got removed, the graphics improved, added one or two new guns and THATS IT, it's not like Oddworld where one game your a one legged electric zapping, machine possessing "gabbit", to a large lion person that shot insects and small rodents including (but not limited to) giant spiders, bees, Giant shelled slugs, and cute fuzzles that would rip enemies apart to the point that it sounded like texas chainsaw massacre

the real thing that set me off was that when the third game came out, it was known to all as the last halo game and interviews said that "you would finish a fight" and "the last halo game" only after every man and there dog bought it thinking they'd perfect it as a last game and all the extra hype, they pumped out ODST or Orbital Drop Shock trooper (which are like assault terminators except WITHOUT BALLS) and Halo: reach
The Halo series is perhaps one of the most original and least generic settings in the video game world. It set the bar for FPS games and its story was imaginative and very well presented.

Oh and Please don't throw examples such as Starcraft and say that Halo ripped them off when Starcraft might as well be named Warhammer 40,000 version -0.5 since they have ripped off near enough most things from that.

And for the record, ODST is an exceptional, well polished, fun game and Bungie should be given a little respect seeing as they worked their arses off to make sure Halo doesnt follow Zelda, Mario, Sonic and other such icons down into Cash Cow Hell with a series of games with nothing new but different colours. They actually listen to their community and consistently patch their games to make sure it stays a well balanced gaming experience.

Skillswords

Mar 25, 2009
RAKais said:
Halo series is perhaps one of the most original and least generic settings in the video game world. It set the bar for FPS games and its story was imaginative and very well presented.
hold on
hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahaahahaha
remember doom, where it was space marines versus aliens
remember duke nukem, it was some guy versus aliens
please, name ten gameplay differences unique to halo

strangemoose said:
dude if you don't like a game don't tear who ever made it apart just don't play it if you don't like it instead of wasting your life on internet forums complaining
look at the name of the post before posting, you strange person, if you don't like my opinion, don't shed a tear and just ignore it, not flame

tsolless

Jul 15, 2009
What's the problem with having more stuff?

It's not as if there's a game toll booth on the highway from Development Inc. to Publication Inc. that will only let through a certain quota of games a year.

You don't like it, that's fine. It doesn't harm you or prevent you from getting a game that you desire.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Skillswords said:
Geo Da Sponge said:

Hang on, hang on...
You are using Doom and Starcraft as examples of people Halo is ripping off? That's brilliant. Excellent in fact. Firstly because Doom doesn't have aliens in it, instead it has demons emerging from a portal to hell. Secondly, the Zerg have bugger all in common with the Flood. The Flood are parastic and create a group sentience, and use the same technology as whatever creature they have controlled through their nervous system. The Zerg are an alien race that uses biological weaponry. As for the whole Protoss=Covenant thing? I would say religion has been a reason for warfare for a long time. Take a look at the crusades. So in fact that they are both ripping off medieval European Christian nations.

Anyway, the Covenant should logically worship the humans as they are related to the forerunners. The real reason for the war is that the Prophets which came into power at the beginning of the war convinced the rest of them that the humans were evil, all the time trying to accomplish their goal of finding the remaining Halos.

But most importantly, I'd point out that the covenant is a grouping of many different species united in their religion. Are you saying the demons from Doom are the same as the 5-foot tall grunts? Also they're not 'unquestionably evil'. The Elites join forces with the humans when they the Prophets decide they are no longer needed. Additionally, the Engineer species is definitely not evil. They only work for the covenant because they don't know better, and they almost all have a distaste for violence.

Your ignorance goes further than I thought. If you think the Covenant weapons are "the same but pink and shoots blue", I would show you the needler, the energy sword, the gravity hammer and the spike grenade to start with. Then I would point out that even the most similar of the weapons of the two groups are fairly different. Compare the plasma rifle to the assault rifle; the plasma rifle does more damage to shields but less damage to armour. It also overheats with prolonged use, allowing measured bursts to be fired continously, whereas the assault rifle uses the standard clip system. Or the plasma pistol; the regular pistol can get headshots and is therefore effective against unshielded opponents. The plasma pistol is very weak, but a single charged shot will instantly remove shields and it will also instantly cut the engines on a vehicle for a short period.

By the way, you forgot 'shotgun' and 'BFG' on your list. And if you had actually played the first Halo you would not be saying the pistol would never be used.

I'd like to add the addition of hijacking, dual wielding, online multiplayer, the 'Forge' level editor, theatre mode, equipment use and turrets you can carry. On the weaponry front, here is a list of every weapon which has been added after Halo: Combat Evolved. The carbine, the beam rifle, the spartan laser, the energy sword, the gravity hammer, the spiker, the SMG, the mauler, the spike grenade, the firebomb, the battle rifle, the sentinel beam, the fuel rod gun, the chain gun, the plasma turret and the the brute shot. I think I might have missed a few. New vehicles? Chopper, Spectre, Hornet, drivable wraith, mongoose, prowler and gauss warthog.

Oh yes, and what other game has a website which records every single game you play online right down to who killed who with what weapon, even recording where and when it happend? Bungie.net does all that.

And it's funny you should mention Oddworld. Munch's Oddysee was a total failure, ruining everything which was good from the gameplay of Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exodus. And in the case of Munch's Oddysee and Stranger's Wrath, those were two completely different games in completely different genres from different series. By your logic, any game which is in the same genre as another is a complete rip off.

You do finish the fight. Of course, the Master Chief didn't personally take part in every single battle in the war. That's why there's still content to be covered. And why do you think it's some kind of massive scam to say something is the last game in the series when it isn't? Do you really think there were people who wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't? It's the last game in the trilogy and it completes the plotline. Any other new Halo media will just deal with smaller stories within that.

"Like Assault terminators except without balls"? Are you saying the characters in Halo are not Space Mariney enough? Are you really saying you have even less tolerance for a down to earth main character who can only deal with relatively ordinary threats than a Halo fan? Not everyone has the need to play a larger than life character all the time.

Plus you haven't actually answered my question. Do you think a lack of change caused the success of Halo? Or maybe there was something else? You may say I'm a fanboy, but I would ask you the following question; how do you think I became one?

please, name ten gameplay differences unique to halo
I will, when you can name ten gameplay mechanics unique to any other game.

effilctar

Jul 24, 2009
The way I see it *flameshield at the ready* Halo 3 was the straw that broke the Halo donkey's back, but ODST is the doctor that gave the donkey a sip of water and a few bandages.