Poll: One world language... that isn't yours.

RocksW

Feb 26, 2010
I've always thought german sounds really cool to learn so I voted for that.

EDIT: did you remove chinese from the poll?

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Esperanto. Why settle for an existing language that's been cobbled together over centuries when we could go for one that was designed to be simple to learn and logically structured?

Plus we'd all be new to it, so there's no smug pricks who had it "first".

Continuity

May 20, 2010
I would say French but i wouldn't want to give them the satisfaction... not German because its not a terribly creative language. Of the remainder I like the sound of spoken Russian the most so I voted Russian.

dost vedanya.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
I say Japanese. I like the way the language sounds. Sure, the sentence structure is highly unorthodox (often going subject -> object -> verb as opposed to subject -> verb -> object like most other languages), but it's really not that hard to learn.

And I second Esperanto. Sure, it may seem like the poor man's Latin, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. :)

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
Serenegoose said:
oh man, Dutch. All kinds of voting for Dutch. I don't know why, but I love that language, and I don't know how to speak it. :(
What?
Seriously?

Klinkt dit echt zo interessant dan? Misschien wel een beetje eigenlijk.

Any sentence is instantly cooler if said in a foreign language so maybe it does.

You know, I'd like to change my vote to Flemish.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
SageRuffin said:
I say Japanese. I like the way the language sounds. Sure, the sentence structure is highly unorthodox (often going subject -> object -> verb as opposed to subject -> verb -> object like most other languages), but it's really not that hard to learn.

And I second Esperanto. Sure, it may seem like the poor man's Latin, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. :)
Esperanto is no good, too small a vocab, its not meant as a primary language but just as a common secondary language.

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
I love how you had to remake this thread because most everyone chose English last time. That being said, I love German.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
RocksW said:
I've always thought german sounds really cool to learn so I voted for that.

EDIT: did you remove chinese from the poll?
It's still in there- since nobody has voted for it it hasn't appeared in the results. I also use it as an umbrella term- it can be taken to mean Cantonese, Mandarin, or any other of the smaller subdivision dialects.

Senaro said:
I love how you had to remake this thread because most everyone chose English last time. That being said, I love German.
I didn't make the other one, though one look at the results of the other one convinced me to make this one.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
Chinese(Mandarin), because they're already one of a fastest growing economies in the world. It's only a matter of time until they squash the US altogether.

There's been a saying that like how the 19th century was the "English century" and how the 20th century was the "American century", the 21st century will become the "Asian century."

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
German because I took four years in high school so I might have a chance of picking it back up.

Senaro said:
Not everyone here speaks English as their primary language though.

ike42

Feb 25, 2009
I think Swedish would be good, because of the emphasis their culture puts on science. Otherwise Latin or some other dead language would be good, because a universal language just wouldn't work if some currently spoken language were chosen. Any country that already spoke the language would probably get a superiority complex.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
Vortigar said:
Serenegoose said:
oh man, Dutch. All kinds of voting for Dutch. I don't know why, but I love that language, and I don't know how to speak it. :(
What?
Seriously?

Klinkt dit echt zo interessant dan? Misschien wel een beetje eigenlijk.

Any sentence is instantly cooler if said in a foreign language so maybe it does.

You know, I'd like to change my vote to Flemish.
I'll reiterate. I don't speak it, so I have no idea what you just said!

But seriously, it's my favourite language! Dutch people never believe me though, but I think that's because it's not a stereotypical language 'that english speakers love' like French or Japanese or Spanish, so to them it's just the mundane language they speak, nothing to it. It's hard to imagine being mad at someone whilst they speak dutch to you though. It's a nice language. :)

EmzOLV

Oct 20, 2010
I voted Japanese!
My friend went out to live there for a couple of years, and when he came back he taught me a few good ones. I just think it sounds really pretty and just, clever. I wouldn't be able to differentiate regional dialects though :S

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
German. Always found it a lot easier than French and the words aren't structured in a stupid way ("the car blue").

Retardinator

Nov 2, 2009
I'd vote English but OP was very inconsiderable...
So I chose Russian. I love the way it sounds even though I don't know it.

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
I voted Chinese just because it's the one that is most likely to actually happen.

But if I were to vote for the language I would most like to listen to, it would have to be Japanese.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Continuity said:
SageRuffin said:

Esperanto is no good, too small a vocab, its not meant as a primary language but just as a common secondary language.
Well shit.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Tasachan said:
I didn't vote French because I was forced to study it in school all these years, and I find it so awkward with the masculine and the feminine words.
You'd so HATE German. ^.^

I vote for either English or Esperanto.

EDIT: Okay, screw that, I say D'ni or Lojban!

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
One of my many, many ambitions is to teach English in Japan, so I think Japanese would help me greatly.
It's one of the few accents I like too.