Poll: One world language... that isn't yours.

ThePinkAcidSmurf

Mar 30, 2010
I'd vote for English. Why did you exclude it from the list? I mean it's obvious that alot of people who doesn't have English as their native language would vote for it.

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
English, two language are more than enough for me. But if I had to learn a third it would be Russian

siddif

Aug 11, 2009
I voted for Japanese as i love their culture (both traditional and current) and it would be a huge incentive for me to learn the language instead of putting it off like I normally do.

Yes entirely selfish reasons haha

mageroel

Jan 25, 2010
Serenegoose said:
oh man, Dutch. All kinds of voting for Dutch. I don't know why, but I love that language, and I don't know how to speak it. :(
I'm Dutch, and I think there are already enough people speaking Dutch on the planet, let's not make that more shall we?

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
Well, I'd throw my "primary" language the fuck out of the window (which is Estonian). Can I even call it my "primary" language, when my "secondary" language (that is, English) is better than my "primary" language?

Anyway, aside from English, I'd pick Japanese. Mostly because it sounds cool and I could totally watch any and all anime.

Also, I could parody totlly kawaii peepow! ^_^

randomsix

Apr 20, 2009
A world language would:
have to have an alphabet (not be character based; see Chinese/Japanese)
not be tonal (see Chinese/Korean(?))
have to be written explicitly (all elements of a word appear in writing; see Arabic for how not to)
have few or no "silent" letters in writing
have one or very few ways of forming plurals (see Arabic as an example of how not do this)
not have femininity/masculinity of nouns
have as few conjugations of verbs within tenses as possible

I can't think of any languages that fit this.

mageroel

Jan 25, 2010
Serenegoose said:
Vortigar said:
Serenegoose said:
It's hard to imagine being mad at someone whilst they speak dutch to you though. It's a nice language. :)
You should hear Dutch swearing. The hard consonants really come into their own. (BCDFGHJKL that's consonants right?) The sound really changes when people get riled up.

As for the dutch bit, I was just asking if it really sounded that interesting (and then answered my own question in English).

We don't have towns called Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch though. But I always really liked 's Hertogenbosch.
Well, English doesn't have that town name either - that's Welsh. Which is also a language I like, but only because being forced to live in this hellhole, one of the few positive things I've noticed is that the language is at least consistent, unlike English.
Try Scheveningen ;) the Dutch actually used that name to find out if people weren't Dutch, because nobody could pronounce it :p (it was a whole sentence but I forgot the rest)

mageroel

Jan 25, 2010
randomsix said:
A world language would:
have to have an alphabet (not be character based; see Chinese/Japanese)
not be tonal (see Chinese/Korean(?))
have to be written explicitly (all elements of a word appear in writing; see Arabic for how not to)
have few or no "silent" letters in writing
have one or very few ways of forming plurals (see Arabic as an example of how not do this)
not have femininity/masculinity of nouns
have as few conjugations of verbs within tenses as possible

I can't think of any languages that fit this.
Latin?

PS: sorry double post

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
Squilookle said:
Vortigar said:
English.
Why is that not an option?
You anglophile philistines!
Retardinator said:
I'd vote English but OP was very inconsiderable...
chstens said:
Ahem... I'd like an English option, just because most people here speak English doesn't mean everyone does.
Next time, try reading the whole OP.

...or the title of the poll.

...or the title of the thread.

Sephychu said:
I know it's an attempt to make it fair, but doesn't making it so you can't vote for your first language slate the vote against English and Chinese somewhat?
It's deliberate to avoid the results being skewed by people like those quoted above you.
A language besides my own, yes, I know, and I'd like English.

Lord Honk

Mar 24, 2009
I like japanese A LOT, it sounds good and the grammar is way simpler than in a lot of other languages (like, wtf finland, 15 cases?). It's a bit hard to get used to the sentence structure, but e.g. main word at the beginning of the sentence, verb at the end make it easy to understand, that is, if you know the kanji and stuff xD

BUT, I voted russian. Like I said in another poll, everybody sounding like bears fighting over a bottle of vodka -> awesome :D

ps: I mean no disrespect to russian speaking people, hearing russian just brings that image to my head.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Well, esperanto was meant for it, so either that or spanish, because I love screaming "PENE DE MUERTE!".

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
English is not my primary language, so I'd vote for that. If we're talking pure audio estethics (if there is a better word feel free to educate me, what I mean is the sound of the language) chinese. Its like a trickle of water, chimes of soft and beautiful sounds.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
mageroel said:
Try Scheveningen ;) the Dutch actually used that name to find out if people weren't Dutch, because nobody could pronounce it :p (it was a whole sentence but I forgot the rest)
I was referring to Welsh as consistent, not Dutch. As I said, I don't speak it, so I have no idea if it's a consistent language or not. :p

I don't speak much welsh either but one of my partners speaks some.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Serenegoose said:
oh man, Dutch. All kinds of voting for Dutch. I don't know why, but I love that language, and I don't know how to speak it. :(
YAY someone likes Dutch.

Don't feel bad though.
Only Dutch people know how to speak Dutch.
(and many of those fail at it)

OT: Irish!
I love the accent.
Good thing I have an Irish friend who can indulge me at any moment.

Benny Blanco

Jan 23, 2008
Woodsey said:
German. Always found it a lot easier than French and the words aren't structured in a stupid way ("the car blue").
No, but hard it is to until the end of sentences for the verb wait.

Spanish FTW- It's due to overtake Mandarin in world speakers within the next 10 years anyway and it's a moderately simple language which is both pretty and full of good swearwords.