Poll: Open worlds: Bethesda or Rockstar?

Jester00

Sep 22, 2010
i voted for rockstar, because i really liked the world of GTA:SA and bethesdas worlds are freakin ugly. but the winner is definitely piranha bytes with gothic. ugly graphics but awesome landscapes, villages and cities.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
bombadilillo said:
Also theres the pointless sandbox a la LA Noire.
How do you mean? I was under the impression the game was a sort of open world experience, albeit a bit more linear than most. But still open world. I haven't played it yet, so feel free to elaborate.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Easily Rockstar. They allowed me to explore the American West and the town of Bullworth. Those places actually had personality. Bethesda puts out big, but lifeless and dull worlds. I'd actually put Ubisoft above Bethesda for the Assassin's Creed series.

Not to mention Rockstar gives you more fun ways of getting around (horses, bicycles/mopeds/skateboard, cars/motorcycles). How much of game design is giving the player an interesting way of getting from point A to point B? Rockstar does that part way better.

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
I'm going to go with Rockstar.

Reason being: you can't rightfully compare the two companies' sandbox games because they're different genres. Oblivion and Fallout 3 are RPGs, it's designed to go exploring and bump into armor/treasure/monsters/random story NPCs in every weird nook and cranny.

However, in terms of sheer sandbox dicking around I have to go with Rockstar, RDR especially always gave me a real feeling of authenticity yet still encourages the odd bit of dicking around that comes with Sandbox nature.

Puzzlenaut

Mar 11, 2011
Bethesda creates a HUGE open world. It's generally a little rough round the edges -- the graphics aren't quite top notch (even with Skyrim by the looks of it), and they are generally pretty buggy, however the sheer size makes up for it.

Rockstar makes a physically smaller world with less to do in it, however the world itself is often much more pretty and of a higher quality.

Its a close one, but I think Bethesda wins it for me, though that may be the subject matter more than the actual world itself.

TheJayke

Oct 22, 2010
This is a hard one.
Oblivion and fallout had a lot more going on, lots more goodies to fine.
But RDR and GTA are so much more polished, you hardly ever encounter any bugs or glitches in these games, and everything seems right, nothing feels tacked on.
But I think I have to go with Bethesda, although a lot of things in Oblvion don't always work, and don't really immerse you so much, there is just so much more to do.

RDR and Fallout 3 are two of my favourite games.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
While I do enjoy both, I'd lean more over to Bethesda's style. Mostly because I'm a raving fanboy of the Elder Scroll series.

And no one can change that.

Skyrim will be awesome.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Bethesda, because their world are far more interactive and detailed.

Rockstar's worlds are pretty but there's not much to discover in them.

dragonslayer32

Jan 11, 2010
This one is a close call for me. I loved Oblivion, which makes me think Bethesda. However, I did not like fallout. It is the same as Rockstar, I loved the RDR map but didn't like the GTA maps too much. I think I may have to go with Rockstar on this one though, although it is very close.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I prefer Bethesda.

Mostly because GTA: Chinatown Wars is the only game in the GTA series I've actually finished, and Bully (while entertaining) really didn't get close to Bethesda's games.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
Bethesda, they have stuff to find in their worlds, Rockstar have big empty worlds.

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
Bethesda for me I prefer the style of games they make, Rockstar games never really appealed to me.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Rockstar all the way.

Bethesda's worlds are boring and lifeless, just as the NPC's and the stories. Rockstar's cities are much more interesting to explore.

rockyoumonkeys

Aug 31, 2010
Bethesda by far. There's stuff to explore, things to find, and so on. Rockstar just has a big empty space with very little to actually do.

mikey7339

Jun 15, 2011
Bethesda. With the exception of RDR, their games are all set in cities and have the same general feel to all of them from GTA3 onward. Plus I have an affinity for the wilderness and open terrain and can not stand city settings.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Mojang :)

Although between those two, I think it depends on the world. Morrowind/Red Dead Redemption > Oblivion/GTA.