Poll: Open worlds: Bethesda or Rockstar?

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
A simple question, really, just for the fun of it.

Which of these two companies would you say has the best hang of open world gameplay? Bethesda, with games like The Elder Scrolls and Fallout series, or Rockstar, with games like the GTA series and Red Dead Redemption on their resumé?

Vote. Discuss. Enjoy.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
That's a really good question actually, took a second to ponder that.
What it boils down to with me is Bethesda's worlds seem to have more in it, where Rockstar for the most point have less in them. Bigger, but not as filled out.

G Skunk

Apr 19, 2010
Bethesda, I suppose. Because Volition wasn't a choice and I'm getting sick of Rockstar.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
Good question. I'm going with Bethesda because their games have more stuff to do, quests to find, people to meet. In Rockstar games, you have several missions to carry out at any one time but nothing like the guilds in Oblivion or the levels of exploration in Fallout 3

Captcha: Chapter Mogin. Sounds like stealing chapters or... something

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Bethesda has more interactivity. And more easter eggs. Not only that, but Rockstar seems kind of bland. Big city, big desert. I like Bethsda for this one. Although I do like GTA.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
GTA IV had shit to do, whilst RDR had a little bit more, but was still pretty shallow.

Morrowind, Oblivion (and to a lesser extent FO3 - at least for me) are chock-full of things to do.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Rockstar is realistic and therefore necessarily repetitive. Cities all look about the same apart from a bridge here or there so eh. Also theres the pointless sandbox a la LA Noire.

Pierce Graham

Jun 1, 2011
Bethesda! No question about it. Wait until Skyrim comes out and other previously "huge" games will cower before it XD

Mar 30, 2010
I'm gonna go with Bethesda for two reasons. Number one is Daggerfall. That game was far bigger than any game released today has even a hope of touching, so Bethesda win on the 'scope' front. Number two is more gameplay related - Bethesda let you get straight on and play the game, whereas Rockstar doles out it's freedom in dribs and drabs meaning that you don't finish the tutorial until you're roughly halfway through the game, and quite often don't unlock the full map until around then either. So Bethesda take the 'freedom' element. And surely, scope and freedom is what defines the sandbox genre?

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Bethesda because their open worlds are on the PC :p

I kid. Bethesda because they don't just make "Not New York" and "Not Miami"

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
Rockstar's worlds feel more populated, whereas Bethesda's are bigger - in terms of how vast they feel. They absolutely nailed the idea of isolated communities, but I would leave things like cities to Rockstar[footnote]Because Volition Inc. isn't an option[/footnote].

Coffinshaker said:
Bethesda in Oblivion and Fallout 3

but they fail in New Vegas... terribly.
They also didn't make it, so... fair's fair.

Apr 28, 2008
Rockstar.

Because their open worlds aren't buggy as shit. Well, nowhere near as buggy as Bethesda's worlds. I'm actually able to explore without the game freezing up every 15 minutes. Then waiting for the community to make a patch to fix Bethesda's fuck ups.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Well, they're pretty different, Rockstar is better with normal gameplay that happens to be in an open world, and Bethesda is better with the RPG experience of being in a world. And I have to say I'm a fan of that more than Rockstar's.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
TheKwertyeweyoppe said:
Coffinshaker said:
Bethesda in Oblivion and Fallout 3

but they fail in New Vegas... terribly.
Why?
Why did they fail in New Vegas?
Because they didn't make it of course, silly!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Umm... Bethesda I guess. Fallout 3 was alright.

Eh, not a huge fan of open world games.