Poll: Osama: Biggest news since Hitler's death?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
He died?
Huh. Cool, I guess. So long as this helps stop the war and stuff.
It probably won't, but we can hope.

Adecristo

May 20, 2010
I cared more about earthquake in Japan than about death of bin Laden.

And seriously, voting for "it's even bigger victory", "it's about even (...)" or even just comparing Osama bin Laden to Hitler - what the hell, are you out of your minds or just uneducated? Seriously, waging an all-out war with most of the europe (not only europe, actually), slaughtering people in god damned concentration camps [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auschwitz_concentration_camp] and a ton of other genocide-level crimes - compared to "7.450" lives, as someone stated before (including casualties in wars Osama didn't even want to begin). Seriously? Murdering 10.000 Jews per week for few months by nazis in Warsaw Ghetto was more severe than that.

I understand that you might be happy about some not-even-able-to-do-anything-anymore guy being dead now, but seriously, don't overdo it.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Not really, he was pretty unimportant.
Though he did arrange quit a bit of damage for such a small organization...
Could have been a lot more if he had managed to get on nuclear weapons.

blind_dead_mcjones

Oct 16, 2010
not really, for this reason below

mad825 said:
I call Godwin's law....Any "big" target or political power would receive alot of attention. The death Kim or Castro would be big news as well.
and even if we take godwins law out of the equation there have been at least a couple of 'bigger' news events, such as the earthquakes that struck japan and christchurch for example

that said, it is rather eerie that the day osamas death announced is 66 years to the day that the allies announced the death of hitler, but thats just coincidence

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
May be my Carlin-Radar going off here but anyone else find it funny this happens this close to elections starting up?
Not really, no. It's one of three things that would happen:

1. The war is going badly, so the war must be escalated.
2. The war is going well, so now must be the time to escalate and put the fist in it.
3. The war is going ok, and the death of [insert band of former freedom fighters] proves it - while also showing that there's a need to continue the escalation.

So no. Not very unexpected.

bobknowsall

Aug 21, 2009
No, it's not. Think about the amount of news that's occurred between May 1945 and May 2011. I wouldn't idly dismiss those momentous years.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
No. It seems that everyone forgot about the guy for many years and now that he is dead, it's labelled as big news? Someone else will just take his place. The Al-Qaeda have lost their figurehead, not their means to continue waging war.

WolfMage

May 19, 2008
It is most certainly the biggest news in terrorist deaths since Hitler, but not even the biggest death in general since then.
Also, did anybody else think, upon hearing this news, "Oh boy, they got the Ace of Spades."?
I've played too much Mercenaries...
They didn't even capture the HVT. Would have been more money for the PMC.

Furious Styles

Jul 10, 2010
So he's dead, big deal. Anyone who thinks this will makes things better is a moron. All this will do is piss off the extremists even more. what's weird is I was reading those Guantanamo Bay files the other day and they said that if Osama died they would unleash a nuclear hellstorm. That, to be honest, does not fill me with confidence that all is resolved.

Sanglyon

Apr 3, 2009
This question doesn't make sense.

Either it's from an american only point of view, in which case Hitler was never hated by the americans of the time (who only discovered his horrible acts AFTER he was defeated) as much as Bin Laden, or even communist leader like Castro, or Mao. Attention, I'm not saying current americans don't hate Hitler (now that they know what he did), I say that, back when he was alive and in power, he didn't matter much to americans until the US governement decided to help stop him.

Either it's from a worldwide point of view, in which case the rest of the world, and especially Europe, didn't hate Bin Laden as much a Hitler or other dictators. Ceaucescu, Franco, Tito were much more hated and rightfully so, in Europe.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
thaluikhain said:
TacticalAssassin1 said:
and they never killed American civilians.
Um...pretty sure they did. Being a sailor on a transport ships =/= being military.
A transport ship that for whatever reason was completely off course and in nazi waters. Without any permission whatsoever. They could shoot it down even in our times and be perfectly within the law. The whole thing is extremely fishy.
Hey? German submarines (or any vehicles, for that matter) in WW2 sunk no US merchant vessels in international waters?

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Nope. Its just as big news as "some german general died in WW2" for the impact will be the same. Nearly not noticable. This story is one neverending. Face it, neither side will be able to win. Because you have no real enemy to fight. Everytime some group of people decide they have had enough with those imerialistic basterds/infidels/guys who are better at baseball then them/white dudes they may decide to become Terrorist and start their own little nest or cell.
They are not centralistic, they "spawn" all over the world, from the middle east to central europe , asia and america. And no one will ever take control over this.
The Army will just keep on putting out bushfires where they are the worst and then move on to the next spot.
They arent fighting countries or nations, even if they are bombing them to oblivion on their way through, they are fighting an ideology and those things are sadly hard to kill.

wrightry

Feb 22, 2009
Stalin. He wasn't necessarily killed but his death was waaay bigger than Osamas. This is a HUGE deal but it's not at the same level as Hitler or Stalin. Close though, it's up there

SultanP

Mar 15, 2009
TacticalAssassin1 said:
R4V3NSFAN1976 said:
TacticalAssassin1 said:
R4V3NSFAN1976 said:
Actually OP Hitler had preliminary plans to take over america once all of europe had been dealt with. I mean what the fuck did you think he was gonna do with ALL if europe?

OT: Yes it is the biggest death since Hitler. But no bigger.
Source? From the reading about the topic I've done (which is a lot) I got the impression that he just wanted some land to the west of Germany and that his attack on France, Britain etc was just very offensive defense strategies.
Ok. Do you really think he would have stopped? Seriously... If had taken all of europe, and not continued after spewing his hateful prophecies about the master race, they would have hung him in the street.
Sure, he probably would have continued. But his primary concern had nothing to do with America. He only went to war with America because he was obliged to by the pact Germany, Italy and Japan made. Osama bin Ladin did nothing but attack America. That's what I'm trying to say.
I don't see how it matters at all that one attacked America and the other didn't.

Anyways, I kinda miss the "I don't really care" option in the poll. Yes, he allegedly were behind the 9/11 thing, but what has he really done since then.

The perceivable influence of Bin Laden pales in comparison to any of the dictators we have in the world. So no, not the biggest news at all. Especially since terrorist organizations are less dependant on who exactly is on top, unlike dictatorships.

I'd say the uprising in Egypt is much bigger news than some terrorist dying, whether we know his name or not.

Sharalon

Jan 19, 2011
YAY! You killed a bearded guy who spent most of his time in a ditch. No, this isn't the biggest news since hitlers death, I'm not even sure it's gonna be the biggest news of the month...

There are so many dictators and other leaders of organisations that cause so much more damage than Osama ever did.

I think that the only reason that the attack on the 11 of September was even mentioned on the news was because it happened in the US. If something similar happened in an african of asian developing country, the western world would barely notice it.

That people would think that this is the biggest "victory" since Hitler, just proves that they are ignorant and stupid.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
What has his death achieved, though?

All I can see so far is a sense of 'revenge'.

Sulgoth

Aug 16, 2010
lucky man got killed before captured, can you imagine what a proper mob would do to him before he died?