Poll: Outsmarting Teacher

Aug 25, 2009
I was more intelligent than a lot of the people I went to high school with. (Honestly not boasting, I don't think it did me any favours, but I was more book smart than a lot of my peers.)

The troubling sensation came when I also saw deeper into the subject than a teacher of it, most usually in English. I realise that English was my favourite subject, so I spent more time on it, but coming up with an interpretation that a teacher hadn't even considered, or arguing my philosophy teacher to defeat over an issue he had clearly spent ages composing the argument for, was very odd.

I spent all of last year at university not experiencing this, but suddenly today I defeated my teacher's entire point about Edgar Allen Poe's 'Tell Tale Heart' because I was apparently the only one in the room, including the tutor, who had considered that maybe the narrator was a woman, invalidating the entire intended subject of our seminar. I had clearly thrown my tutor, and myentire group, who had been assuming the narrator was male.

So my fellow escapists, you seem like an intelligent lot. When have you ever outsmarted or out-thought a teacher?

(By the by, if anyone clicks on that final option, I and many others may feel compelled to make fun of you and your disaffected teenage ways.)

EDIT: Please stop responding to this thread. It doesn't need to be necroed any more.

siege_1302

Jul 17, 2008
When I was ten, I had a larger vocabulary than my teacher. I had to convince him that 'eldritch' is a real word.

Good times...

zohmbee

Feb 21, 2008
I had to explain to my English teacher what homonyms were. And I'm in a Senior University-Prep English course.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Nah. I may have been able to understand things a bit faster, but if anything the teacher outsmarts me. I'm gullible really. The say that's the answer then I write it down. If in two minute they say it's really was the wrong answer and someone should have caught them. Even did have the write answer the first time.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
When I was in 6th grade and my science teacher asked us what time was, and I replied it was a dimension, she just about flipped shit. And, despite what she said in her ignorance (that time wasn't a dimension, just a measurement), time still is a dimension.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
I used to read about advanced chemistry and physics by the age of six. Then the teacher wondered why I'm the only one from a class of forty to understand the concept of volume. I didn't really want to embarrass the poor woman.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
I usually think of things and add a new point of view to topics but I am usually quickly silenced by fellow students.

brutus3933

Aug 3, 2009
English: The proper pronunciation of chutzpa. I also make a game of catching grammar-Nazi teachers
Science: 4th state of matter, time is the 4th dimention (argument about "Shrek 4d")
Math: I find much simpler ways of doing almost everything
History: Nothing here, I've had awsome History teachers.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
I had to school my Biology PROFESSOR (emphasis since he teaches college courses) in Evolution. He didn't know that Abiogenesis is not Evolution and that Eugenics is not Evolution. He also thought Darwin recanted.

Vivaldi

Jul 26, 2008
brutus3933 said:
Science: 4th state of matter
Umm, unless I'm mistaken aren't there five?

Solid
Liquid
Gas
Plasma
and Bohems-Einstein Condensates?

OT: English: had to explain to 7th grade English class what a metaphor and what a simile is and the differences, when the teacher messed it up. "P

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
I was considered smarter than our second 8th grade math teacher (first one retired during the year) and my classmates said I should have taught the class. Granted, though, she was an idiot.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
My Honors Calculus thought that you always round down no matter what. I have gotten way too many questions wrong because of this. I have yet to convince her shes wrong.

Mozared

Mar 26, 2009
It depends on what you call "all the time", but that's what I voted. I've been to three different high schools/colleges (those two are virtually the same in my country); my first one was horrible and I did really outsmart teachers on a day-to-day basis there. On the second and third schools this stopped, mostly because they had a lot brighter teachers. I'd still make attempts to outsmart them but they'd backfire from time to time as it turned out the teacher had indeed given it more thought than I had foreseen. Not that I mind though, I prefer teachers who like thinking.

Timotei

The Return of T-Bomb
Apr 21, 2009
Not a teacher, but I was have outsmarted and slain many Trolls in the past. I in fact have a tally on the wall behind my desktop with a bunch of pushpins in a certain area. The last time I counted there were about 67 for this year alone (most were slain between 1-1-09 and 4-21-09).

lostclause

Mar 31, 2009
The only real time was studying Julius Caesar in Enlgish. Since I was also studying Classics at the time I got a couple of references that my teacher didn't understand.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
99.9% of the time when someone says they he/she is smarter then the teacher he/she are just showing off his/her giant ego and saying "look how clever I am, I'm so smart and you are all so dumb." This seems really immature to me. Nobody knows everything and every person knows something that you don't. I guess I may have come up with a good point during some discussion but I wouldn't remember because it was just a contribution to the group's debate.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
I corrected my history teacher two days ago about how many presidents were not protestant, she only said Kennedy, I told her Jefferson was not protestant either.