Poll: Outsmarting Teacher

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
I remember when we started learning negative numbers I had an argument with my teacher. "If you have 5 apples and take away 6, how many apples do you have?"

"Um.... you can't fucking do it."

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Vivaldi said:
brutus3933 said:
Science: 4th state of matter
Umm, unless I'm mistaken aren't there five?

Solid
Liquid
Gas
Plasma
and Bohems-Einstein Condensates?

OT: English: had to explain to 7th grade English class what a metaphor and what a simile is and the differences, when the teacher messed it up. "P
An English teacher couldn't explain what a simile and a metaphor was? Someone is just asking to be fired.

Danik93

Aug 11, 2009
i corrected my teacher a few weeks ago when she said that the "Indus" culture where in Bangladesh it's actually in Pakistan!

Aug 13, 2008
Dancingman said:
Bebopcola2021 said:
Hate to burst your bubble about being "smarter than the teacher" but here's a quote from a study guide which debunks your theory about the gender of the narrator:

"The narrator's gender is not identified, but Poe probably intended him to be a man. Here is why: Poe generally wrote from a male perspective, often infusing part of himself into his main characters. Also, in major short stories in which he identifies the narrator by gender?stories such as "The Black Cat," "The Cask of Amontillado," and "The Fall of the House of Usher"?the narrator is male. Finally, the narrator of "A Tell-Tale Heart" exhibits male characteristics, including (1) A more pronounced tendency than females to commit violent acts. Statistics demonstrate overwhelmingly that murder is a male crime. (2) Physical strength that would be unusual in a female. The narrator drags the old man onto the floor and pulls the bed on top of him, then tears up floorboards and deposits the body between joists. (3) The narrator performs a man's chore by bringing four chairs into the old man's bedroom, one for the narrator and three for the policemen. If the narrator were a woman, the policemen probably would have fetched the chairs. But they did not."

*does a victory dance for teachers everywhere*

Also, all you kids got to remember that nobody is perfect, and teaching is a thankless job. Just because you're a teacher does not make you all knowing or infallible.
Victory, just victory, all the arrogant folks around here could really use a dose of this medicine.
are you serious?
because one theorist reckons it's probably a male, then it's definitely a male and the idea of the narrator being a female becomes entirely wrong?
you two are idiots

lxl_c0d3m0nk3y_lxl

Oct 4, 2009
MelasZepheos said:
. I realise that English was my favourite subject,
if english was your favorite subjuct, don't you think you could've spelled realized right?

OT: it's a rare occasion that anyone in my school gets the opportunity to correct a teacher

Spacelord

May 7, 2008
dante brevity said:
I AM a teacher, and a lot of my colleagues are twits. Does this count?
Yes it does. At least you're in the advantageous position that you don't really have to be sneaky about your intellectual superiority. No-one's going to give you a lower grade. :p

HerrBobo

Jun 3, 2008
One that springs to mind is when my Biology told us that the Nazi's "Did the Blitzkreg on England when they were bombing London." I soon told her of her mistake.

The Hairminator

How about no?
Mar 17, 2009
I often correct my english teacher.

EDIT:
HerrBobo said:
One that springs to mind is when my Biology told us that the Nazi's "Did the Blitzkreg on England when they were bombing London." I soon told her of her mistake.
Just why did you talk about WWII in biology class?

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Yes, several times. They would always "win" arguments by just saying "That's what the book says." even though I knew they were wrong.

ahiddenfigure

Hunter of Monsters
Sep 14, 2009
lxl_c0d3m0nk3y_lxl said:
MelasZepheos said:
. I realise that English was my favourite subject,
if english was your favorite subjuct, don't you think you could've spelled realized right?
It is spelt right, mate. That's how you spell it in British or Australian English.

OT: Most of my teachers in high school were pretty good at what they taught, but I honestly thought I could've done a better job of teaching a web design class in Year 10 then the person paid to do it. I prefer under-the-radar supplemental teaching to the out-in-the-open "smart-arse" approach.

Doomdiver

Mar 30, 2009
Quite alot of times, the most memorable was getting up in the middle of a computing class when invited to by the teacher and teaching everyone a much easier way to convert pure binary into twos compliment binary (negative binary in case you didn't know).

Even after showing several examples of it and after everyone tried some examples using my method, which took about 5 seconds rather than 2 minutes she replied with "I still don't like it, I'm going to stick with my method."

Vivaldi

Jul 26, 2008
Ace of Spades said:
Vivaldi said:
Ace of Spades said:
Vivaldi said:
brutus3933 said:
Umm, unless I'm mistaken, aren't there five?

Solid
Liquid
Gas
Plasma

OT: English: had to explain to 7th grade English class what a metaphor and what a simile is and the differences, when the teacher messed it up. "P
I really thought that they should have named the fifth one Amsalp.
May I Ask why?
It's Plasma spelled backwards :)
Aha! I see what you did there!

Vivaldi

Jul 26, 2008
nathan-dts said:
Vivaldi said:
brutus3933 said:

Solid
Liquid
Gas
Plasma

An English teacher couldn't explain what a simile and a metaphor was? Someone is just asking to be fired.
Well, it was more like she was explaining it terribly, something like "Well, a simile describes things, and a simile does too, sort of" and I responded with the correction :p

Vivaldi

Jul 26, 2008
SaviourSeph said:
Vivaldi said:
brutus3933 said:

Solid
Liquid
Gas
Plasma
Also quark-gluon plasma and Rydberg matter.
Well, if we are going to get freakishly technical, we could also say Fermionic condensates and Transparent Aluminum. that's, 8? Are there any more?

Dancingman

Aug 15, 2008
AdmiralWolverineLightningbolt said:
Dancingman said:
Bebopcola2021 said:
Hate to burst your bubble about being "smarter than the teacher" but here's a quote from a study guide which debunks your theory about the gender of the narrator:

"The narrator's gender is not identified, but Poe probably intended him to be a man. Here is why: Poe generally wrote from a male perspective, often infusing part of himself into his main characters. Also, in major short stories in which he identifies the narrator by gender?stories such as "The Black Cat," "The Cask of Amontillado," and "The Fall of the House of Usher"?the narrator is male. Finally, the narrator of "A Tell-Tale Heart" exhibits male characteristics, including (1) A more pronounced tendency than females to commit violent acts. Statistics demonstrate overwhelmingly that murder is a male crime. (2) Physical strength that would be unusual in a female. The narrator drags the old man onto the floor and pulls the bed on top of him, then tears up floorboards and deposits the body between joists. (3) The narrator performs a man's chore by bringing four chairs into the old man's bedroom, one for the narrator and three for the policemen. If the narrator were a woman, the policemen probably would have fetched the chairs. But they did not."

*does a victory dance for teachers everywhere*

Also, all you kids got to remember that nobody is perfect, and teaching is a thankless job. Just because you're a teacher does not make you all knowing or infallible.
Victory, just victory, all the arrogant folks around here could really use a dose of this medicine.
are you serious?
because one theorist reckons it's probably a male, then it's definitely a male and the idea of the narrator being a female becomes entirely wrong?
you two are idiots
I wasn't talking about the gender example, it was the part about teaching not making you infallible.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Vivaldi said:
SaviourSeph said:
Vivaldi said:
brutus3933 said:

Solid
Liquid
Gas
Plasma
Also quark-gluon plasma and Rydberg matter.
Well, if we are going to get freakishly technical, we could also say Fermionic condensates and Transparent Aluminum. that's, 8? Are there any more?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_states_of_matter

Deathman101

Sep 22, 2009
Yes, I often drive my Chemistry teacher into looking confused because I know far more on chemistry outside of the curriculum than she does...
I don't think she even knows that you can break sub-atomic particles down even further yet.