Poll: Outsmarting Teacher

IronDuke

Oct 5, 2008
I put a word in an essay in English, and my teacher told me it wasn't a word. I showed him it in the dictionary, and he was surprised. I'm surprised he didn't look it up before critiscising me.

grimsprice

Jun 28, 2009
In 7th grade, i had to explain plate tectonics to my geography/history teacher. She was a creatard.

Dancingman

Aug 15, 2008
I knew more about Russian history than my world history teacher, I even guest-taught a basic lesson on Joseph Stalin and collectivization one day.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Not outsmarting per se, but back in the days of Biomedical Science before I studied medicine one of my lecturers shouted me a coffee because of how well I got up and answered a question on photosynthesis, drawing a little diagram of how the electrons moved between enzymes in photosystem 1 from memory. Good times, he was the best lecturer ever.

shannon.archer

Mar 10, 2009
My engineering teacher we actually got fired because he couldnt teach for horse shit. Basically i did more acrobatics in that class then engineering.

Haunted Serenity

Jul 18, 2009
I was taught evolution by a Seventh day adventist. She said that ooze slowly evouled into humans over 4thousand years. I responded "well you did your research, you looked into the mirror this morning".

I also got one over on my social teacher by saying that the Japanese actually invaded the aluetian islands. He wouldn't believe me until he looked it up and i brought the book i have on the subject in.

Dancingman

Aug 15, 2008
Also, I once disproved a friend AND a teacher by saying that Auschwitz was in Poland when both of them believed it was in Germany, and the friend's grandfather had been interned there, I know that's horrible but damn, I got them both with that one.

This-is-Hip-Hop

Feb 21, 2009
Though my first reaction was to remain humble in a braggorts topic-but alas im fairly certain I can come up with a better lesson plan for Aspiring Culinary Students then 'Write a 1,200 word essay in First Person, about a contemporary Chef'. I don't mind the writing about a chef part-its just the fact its in first person, yea, im in a culinary writing class.

-This-is-Hip-Hop

Cakes

Aug 26, 2009
Hm, only I and two others voted for the second last?
I don't know what it is, but school has always been mind-numbingly boring for me. I could not possibly give less of a shit, though I do fairly well (somehow). I think there have been a few occasions where I've corrected my English teacher in something trivial like grammar, English being one of the few classes where I remain in a near-conscious state.

Asymptote Angel

Feb 6, 2008
I think it's sad that the "artist loner type" option is there, but it's even sadder that I picked it. Hell, I can't fight the truth.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
I may have, but my teachers tend to belittle, coerce and just generally get agressive with anyone who doesn't follow along with their planned trains of thought, and I'm not a good talker of a good talker anyway. I'll start to say something, she'll say something sarcastic, and I'll pretty much just stammer up.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Vivaldi said:
brutus3933 said:
Science: 4th state of matter
Umm, unless I'm mistaken aren't there five?

Solid
Liquid
Gas
Plasma
and Bohems-Einstein Condensates?

OT: English: had to explain to 7th grade English class what a metaphor and what a simile is and the differences, when the teacher messed it up. "P
Bose-Einstein Condensate

I had a large number of teachers mess things up. Mostly due to reading from the books, which got it wrong to begin with. I knew enough to not rub it in a persons face, unless I didn't like them to begin with. I never really made a point of arguing it unless I was told I was wrong publicly.

Vivaldi

Jul 26, 2008
manaman said:
Vivaldi said:
brutus3933 said:
Science: 4th state of matter
Umm, unless I'm mistaken aren't there five?

Solid
Liquid
Gas
Plasma
and Bohems-Einstein Condensates?

OT: English: had to explain to 7th grade English class what a metaphor and what a simile is and the differences, when the teacher messed it up. "P
Bose-Einstein Condensate

I had a large number of teachers mess things up. Mostly due to reading from the books, which got it wrong to begin with. I knew enough to not rub it in a persons face, unless I didn't like them to begin with. I never really made a point of arguing it unless I was told I was wrong publicly.
Right, thank you, Bose-Einstein.

IxionIndustries

Mar 18, 2009
I used to be able to outsmart my teachers and classmates all the way until my first year in middle school/junior high..

Then, the shit hit the fan.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
I had to give my teacher a geography lesson. Mostly for my own sanity. My name is a capital city in Australia (Adelaide), but one of the casual teachers who really didn't like me (I may have once told her that she should stop feeling so sorry for herself, she's only a casual teacher and her job wasn't as hard as oh, say, my mother who is a nurse.) called me April. Oh God. And one day it just hit me. I was walking through a geography room and she called out to me. I grabbed a map off a wall, slammed it on to a desk (my hand tingled for about 20 minutes) and yelled, "MY NAME IS NOT APRIL! IF YOU HAVE SO MUCH TROUBLE REMEMBERING, HERE! IT'S WRITTEN ON THE FUCKING MAP!"

I don't think my school was too good. My English teacher kept changing a major essay I had written and one day I told her I wasn't going to hand it in again. She told me to write an essay on why I shouldn't have to write it... I got the best mark in the class :D

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Twilight_guy said:
99.9% of the time when someone says they he/she is smarter then the teacher he/she are just showing off his/her giant ego and saying "look how clever I am, I'm so smart and you are all so dumb." This seems really immature to me. Nobody knows everything and every person knows something that you don't. I guess I may have come up with a good point during some discussion but I wouldn't remember because it was just a contribution to the group's debate.
Hey, I agree with this, just because you come up with an awesome point/fact in class that the teacher doesn't know doesn't mean your in any way smarter then them. In my few years in college life i've found some teachers will just let some things go rather than humiliate you in class, so while you think your philosophy argument was valid and a "victory" they won't then go all doctoral on your ass and make you look a fool. In my exp, my proffessors are brilliant. They do whatever they do for a living, and are exposed to it year in year out by 100s of other teachers and students. Trust me at an undergrad lvl there is almost no student capable of "outsmarting" a teacher.

ADDLibrarian

May 25, 2008
Hate to burst your bubble about being "smarter than the teacher" but here's a quote from a study guide which debunks your theory about the gender of the narrator:

"The narrator's gender is not identified, but Poe probably intended him to be a man. Here is why: Poe generally wrote from a male perspective, often infusing part of himself into his main characters. Also, in major short stories in which he identifies the narrator by gender?stories such as "The Black Cat," "The Cask of Amontillado," and "The Fall of the House of Usher"?the narrator is male. Finally, the narrator of "A Tell-Tale Heart" exhibits male characteristics, including (1) A more pronounced tendency than females to commit violent acts. Statistics demonstrate overwhelmingly that murder is a male crime. (2) Physical strength that would be unusual in a female. The narrator drags the old man onto the floor and pulls the bed on top of him, then tears up floorboards and deposits the body between joists. (3) The narrator performs a man's chore by bringing four chairs into the old man's bedroom, one for the narrator and three for the policemen. If the narrator were a woman, the policemen probably would have fetched the chairs. But they did not."

*does a victory dance for teachers everywhere*

Also, all you kids got to remember that nobody is perfect, and teaching is a thankless job. Just because you're a teacher does not make you all knowing or infallible.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I was a bright kid growing up and looking back I was quite a douchebag. Whenever I had a point to make I would make myself heard, be it correcting the teacher or adding to the lesson. I got pretty vocal during class and always thought the detentions were worth it. The only teachers I didn't do that to were Math and French teachers because my math teachers never made an error and I was never confident enough in my French-language skills to speak up. Also one of my favourite things to do during debates was to go head-to-head with the teacher and I came out the victor quite often.

Wow, now that I think about it I really was a douchebag... man, I owe Mr. Edgely and Mr. Kitson an apology...