Poll: People are Terrible.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
dreadedcandiru99 said:
My experience has been that people are more or less okay in ones or twos, and downright stupid in groups of ten or above. The more people you put together in one place, the farther the collective IQ tends to plummet.
"The IQ of a mob has been proven to be the IQ of the mob's stupidest member divided by the number of people in the mob" - Terry Pratchett, can't remember which book.

OT: People are people. Each individual is capable of good and evil, and most of us go through life balancing the two. Even the absolute bastards rarely think of themselves as evil - there is always, in their mind, justification for their actions which make them the good guy.

YoUnG205

Ugh!...
Oct 13, 2009
Lol if you look at the percentages it looks like people on this website are rather anti-social, but i also choose true on account that everyone sucks

Versago

May 28, 2009
heyheysg said:
People are people.

That is all.

I don't believe in good or evil, right or wrong.

Moral Relativist
Second that :)
I had a point but that more or less sums it up.

There is no good or evil but thinking makes it so.

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
Versago said:
heyheysg said:
People are people.

That is all.

I don't believe in good or evil, right or wrong.

Moral Relativist
Second that :)
I had a point but that more or less sums it up.

There is no good or evil but thinking makes it so.
Aha, I never said 'good or evil.' I said 'good or bad.'

noodles loves you

Nov 20, 2008
mechanixis said:
So. I'm a jaded cynic and pretty much believe that human beings are fundamentally scum. As a great man once said, "when I'm in a crowd of people, I always wonder 'who left all this shit everywhere? You're shit, I'm shit, we're all shit'.
That's not even jaded cynicism. It's a generally true fact of all people. We're not a nice race. Kittens are nice, so felines might be a nice race but we're shit and should all know it.

incidentally if my ladyfriend sees this you're not shit so don't hit me with the frying pan again

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
On average, humans sit exactly between good and bad.

This is because humans are the only reference here.

The only useful comparison then is between different groups of humans, which happens to be what humans do.
The TS must go on a quest to find the humans who don't suck.

StartRunning

Dec 14, 2007
People aren't bad.
It's the criminals and the shamelessly egotistic that deserve a proper speaking to.

And hey, between black and white, there's... all colors.
/zen

Angry pirate

May 19, 2009
Just what we need. A bunch of world-weary fifteen year olds. I especially love everyone who goes on about how stupid everyone else is. There are more good people out there but you don't hear about it. Whats more interesting, "wealthy buisnussman donates huge amounts of money to charity" or "serial killer strikes again". You've been brainwashed by the media and you are the true evil in the human race. Arrogant stupidity.

As you can probably tell by now, I voted false.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
We are adaptable. Human nature is all about blending in to fit into groups. Our morality is generally geared towards that. Of course, neurogenesis is a messy affair and there are some psychos and nutjobs in society, due to the fact that human development and gene switching can go wrong after all, and people can be born bad.

Right and wrong are decided by people. Generally, you will find, that throughout history, as a society's affluence grows, so does its morality. In the old days of swords, steel, stabbings, wars, and rampaging barbarians in Europe, being a cruel, xenophobic, misogynist git could, in fact, save your life. It wasn't moral by today's standards, but they were not living by today's standards now where they? Human morality changes with time and with circumstance. It's messy, it's not nice, but it is the truth.

Overall, human beings are great survivors. My own morality is dictated by what is best for the species, since I personally value science above all other things, and a large population is absolutely necessary for the industrialization which allows science to continue. Therefore, all morality must be geared towards perserving human life, perserving law and order and sanity.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
I believe that there are more good people than the eye shows us. There are just too many bad people that get the news spotlight. But yes, there are bad people, but there are also good people. To quote Dave Gahan: "People are people, why should it be? You and I should get along so awfully." *cookie for the name of the band and song*

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1SuMgOnaXk

Watch it, its an interesting take on Cynicism