Poll: Petition to port Metal Gear to PC

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
A group of Fans have come together and created a petition to have Konami port the Metal Gear Solid Legacy and HD collection to the PC. I think this would be a smart move for Konami, I mean just look at how how many games were sold during the Christmas sale on Steam plus it would immortalize the fantastic series, so getting a copy of Snakes adventures would be as easy as clicking install.

https://www.change.org/petitions/petition-to-port-metal-gear-solid-legacy-and-or-hd-collection-to-pc

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
PC is big enough these days with Steam and even crowd funded games. Hell, I'm willing to bet that people would crowd fund these ports if you asked them. I'd pledge. It might happen if enough people show an interest.

Shaoken

May 15, 2009
Well if Revenge sells well enough and if it looks like V might be heading to it you'll probably see at least some of the games getting ported. Both 1 and 2 did make it to the PC so it's within the realm of possibility to see the HD collection games make it. 4 might pose a challenge due to it being tailored to the PS3 though.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
Well I can tell you one thing, if MGSV gets a PC port; I have very little reason to own a next gen console.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Okay guys, do we remember how Dark Souls went down?

Or at least remember the state of the original Metal Gear Solid and Solid 2 ports?

I'm not saying that it'd be a bad idea, but... well, it's a very similar situation here. Plus it's Konami, and since when have they cared about the PC at all? Much as I want to see Rising on the PC, I'm still wary of it because Japanese developers in general just don't have a lot of experience with PC development.

I would love to see Metal Gear Solid on the PC, though. Especially with a proper mouse-driven control scheme. But I'm not going to hold my breathe waiting for it.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Does anyone remember how Japan is not amazing with PC ports, like at all?.

I also forgot that it's become an increasing problem to go out and buy the console the game was made for since these days it's either: Emulation, port or nothing at all when it comes to PC.

As much as I'd love to sign that petition I cannot, not unless something on PC that's been wild and popular becomes multiplatform (I'm talking about something that's still on there).

Also I'm not expecting Revengance to be anything special on PC since it's Platinum's first ever PC port and I expect it to be decent or good at best but by no means "better" or "superior".

I'd also not want to sign it because I know how ungrateful some people will be if the port turned out bad.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Where is the kill it with fire poll option? I want that option before I vote, keep that stuff on the consoles... where it belongs.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
J Tyran said:
Where is the kill it with fire poll option? I want that option before I vote, keep that stuff on the consoles... where it belongs.
I can't tell if you're being sincere, I wouldn't mind if they did but I'd rather they keep the MG series on consoles like we've had for Crash,Spyro,Banjo and R&C.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I like how there's one option which means nothing to anyone and the other two are nothing but "hells yeah PC master race" choices, where's the "I'd like it to remain where it is" choice?.

Is someone going to tell me that I can buy Starbucks coffee from McDonalds?, does that sound legit to anyone at all?.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Can't you emulate the Metal Gear Solid games aside from 4? I own them on console so I'm not going to sign it since I won't buy it. I think the petitions should be pre-orders instead so they know how big the market actually is rather than people who think it's a good idea.

Oh and I enjoy Metal Gear on consoles, where's the poll option for that?

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
cloroxbb said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:
I like how there's one option which means nothing to anyone and the other two are nothing but "hells yeah PC master race" choices, where's the "I'd like it to remain where it is" choice?.

Is someone going to tell me that I can buy Starbucks coffee from McDonalds?, does that sound legit to anyone at all?.
What a crappy metaphor. It's more like Starbucks sells a coffee made by folgers, and folgers decides that McDonalds can also sell coffee made by them...

Yours would be like Nintendo releasing Super Mario 3D World, on Xbox.
yeah it wasn't as good as I'd hoped it to be.

I also saw that they wanted those games ported with the Fox Engine, if anything next gens should get the same treatment, all I can see this as being fair for PC's and unfair for console users if they can't get the same kind of treatment.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
cloroxbb said:
I didn't hear about them using the fox engine... That would be awesome I think.
That would be awesome, but I'd rather everyone get the same treatment if one is wanting special treatment beforehand.

That and I remember Kojima saying a few months back that he wasn't exactly going to work on a MGS1 remake so having the first game or two reworked completely from top to bottom with the new engine wouldn't be happening currently.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Zersy said:
I think this would be a smart move for Konami, I mean just look at how how many games were sold during the Christmas sale on Steam...
Selling games at 75% less than their RRP a few years after release isn't a great incentive for a publisher to make PC version of their games.

The only hypothetical sales Konami or any publisher will be persuaded by would be immediate full price sales on release (and pre-orders) that represent a quick return of their investment.

Espousing the hypothetical number of cheap Steam sales when the game is heavily discounted won't convince Konami to make a PC version (irrespective of how profitable in the long-term the increase number of cheap sales are compared to the short-term full price purchases).

Publishers want immediate return on their investment and immediate exposure of their games and franchises, not increase sales long after release and for their games to sit forgotten and unplayed in people's backlogs, long after the hype has passed and all the advertising efforts turned to dust.

If PC gamers really want Konami to make PC ports, then they will have to put their money where their mouth is and pay for pre-orders long before the game is released (or invest in the game via crowd-funding), but unfortunately the prevailing attitude most publishers see is people asking for an immediate PC release so that they can buy them much later in a Steam sale.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Shadow-Phoenix said:
J Tyran said:
I can't tell if you're being sincere, I wouldn't mind if they did but I'd rather they keep the MG series on consoles like we've had for Crash,Spyro,Banjo and R&C.
Am I being sincere? Yes and no, yes because I think MGS is pretty lame. Bad gameplay with horrible characters[footnote]Except for Psycho Mantis[/footnote] and terrible writing with an unnecessarily convoluted plot, I have no personal desire for a PC port.

No because if people like them and want to play them on the PC its thier own opinion and I have no right to pass judgement on the games people want to play, as much as a despise the series I am not serious about the "kill it with fire" comment and was only joking. Different people like different stuff, I know that so I was just messing about.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I enjoyed the port of MGS, despite some shortcomings. I'd be interested to see if mouselook would make 2 and 3 playable (because they sure as hell aren't with thumbsticks). As for 4... I watched my roommate play it, and got every bit as much out of that playthrough as he did. No interest in playing it myself.

5 might be interesting, but I doubt we'll ever see it, and I doubt it'll deviate from the formula of unplayable thumbstick controls.